Science/Environment Wuhan Coronavirus (COVID-19) - Pandemic Declared

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nothing to do with animal to human transmission. I was WTFed out because the HUMAN gave it to the TIGER, and possibly six other big cats.

I was all "meh bullshit" when the story broke a couple of weeks ago about a patient's dog having traces of coronavirus, then last week went "meh again" when another patient's cat in Belgium tested positive. Now this. Pre-symptomatic transfer of the virus from a healthy-appearing keeper to tigers and lions. WTF instead of "meh" was the sound of my paradigm shift.

Ok I get it, still we have an example of human to animal transmission and by extension we MAY have an animal to human transmission.

That's the WTF for me:oops:

A depression is a very real possibility now and could indirectly kill tens of millions with the death rate highest in the young (unlike with the virus).

I've seen arguments both ways for that.

Professor Philip Thomas from the University of Bristol claims there is a strong link between GDP and life expectancy. He has calculated that if the lockdown causes the UK’s GDP to fall by more than 6.4 per cent, per person, more years of life will be lost than saved.

Professor Nick Drydakis, at Anglia Ruskin University, says recessions reduce mortality rates. A one percentage point increase in unemployment decreases mortality rates by 0.5pc. He says medical problems from cardiovascular and liver diseases seem to fall in recessions while obesity and deaths from car accidents also decrease. Budget constraints could lead to people adopting healthier lifestyles, such as cutting back on smoking and drinking. Reduced commuting and alcohol consumption may reduce deaths resulting from car accidents.

There is a movement a foot to reclaim our lives.

If this nonsense does not end by first of May, no longer comply
Seems appropriate to make a stand on international workers day.

I will present myself to the local police and insist they arrest me - as I am done
If 100,000 stout hearted australians do it - maybe this moronic nightmare will end

Mayday!!
For the love of god.

I will present myself to the local police and insist they arrest me - as I am done
If 100,000 stout hearted australians do it - maybe this moronic nightmare will end

Mayday!!

Boris ignored social distancing at the outset. Boris, with otherwise noble ideas, shook hands with the sick and the infirm.

Now Boris lies dying.

Don't be like Boris!

Like California, Australian hospitals are empty awaiting the apocalypse
It begs the question - when all our hospitals are normally overflowing - where are all the sick people going?
Electives were cancelled pretty early on in public. I think the privates have also curtailed electives. Patients sick with other conditions are still being seen.

Speaking to someone from a medium sized hospital they said they had 8 ward inpatients and another 1 in ICU. Not a huge burden, yet.

I couldn't find a figure for how many of the 1100 covid19 cases in Vic were inpatients or in ICU, but it should be less than 300 if our figures are typical of how many get sick. Again not an overwhelming burden if you have already reduced electives. Around 57% of public bed admissions are elective and only 43% emergency, so you do have a bit of capacity to make in a crisis if you are willing to chop the electives.

I love when a pathological need to be an ideologue at every turn is portrayed as humanism.

I actually admire most libertarian acts, as they are sadly rare, but as a bloke with a bit of virology training I know that this isn't the fight to choose.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

yebiga.

Enough mate.

You have made your point.
My point will not be made until this is done.
Think of it as a conscientious objection - to indefinite house arrest.
Hardly a controversial response at any other time in history

The numb skulls in government need to place a definitive end date on this - and like yesterday

Hey, there's Americans using prayer too.

Was responding to Mofra's statement "when armies of homeopaths, naturopaths and reiki practitioners hit the front lines, let me know". Traditional medicine is mainstream in China.

But talking of prayer, have you ever looked into the interactions of psychology and physical ailments?

Was responding to Mofra's statement "when armies of homeopaths, naturopaths and reiki practitioners hit the front lines, let me know". Traditional medicine is mainstream in China.

But talking of prayer, have you ever looked into the interactions of psychology and physical ailments?

Yes, I am aware of the placebo effect.

I am also aware of it's limitations.

My point will not be made until this is done.
Think of it as a conscientious objection - to indefinite house arrest.
Hardly a controversial response at any other time in history

The numb skulls in government need to place a definitive end date on this - and like yesterday

Very noble.

You are also derailing the discussion and getting so many hits with regard to ridicule that the thread is becoming heavily spammed. You made your point, now please get back to the virus.

Professor Philip Thomas from the University of Bristol claims there is a strong link between GDP and life expectancy. He has calculated that if the lockdown causes the UK’s GDP to fall by more than 6.4 per cent, per person, more years of life will be lost than saved.

Professor Nick Drydakis, at Anglia Ruskin University, says recessions reduce mortality rates. A one percentage point increase in unemployment decreases mortality rates by 0.5pc. He says medical problems from cardiovascular and liver diseases seem to fall in recessions while obesity and deaths from car accidents also decrease. Budget constraints could lead to people adopting healthier lifestyles, such as cutting back on smoking and drinking. Reduced commuting and alcohol consumption may reduce deaths resulting from car accidents.
That second study sounds like one that is deliberetely only trying to focus on negative consequences of work and travel. Does it also account for increased deaths and reduced quality of life caused by increased malnutrition, suicide, domestic violence, family breakdowns and stress which all rise signficantly during a major recession let alone depression.

You are an idiot.

Today, was meant as of today, stop calling me idiot when your clearly can't look at yourself.

I've been following the numbers every couple of hours, you honestly think I meant 40 in a day. You're disgusting.

I don't know about common sense. I think public opinion has made them try to take the heat out of it. Unlike the bonk ban reversal the policy has not been changed. It's still unclear whether parents can take their kids on driving lessons.

Did they confirm if learner driving is allowed or is this a one off exception?

You have no idea if it was essential or not.

Yes I do. Do you know how to read?

For everyone else 👇

Like California, Australian hospitals are empty awaiting the apocalypse
It begs the question - when all our hospitals are normally overflowing - where are all the sick people going?

The only person who thinks the apocalypse is coming is you.

Mayday!!

Please do and report back. Don't be complacent before it becomes too late.

That is such a simplistic way of looking at such a multivaried problem.

Yes, I am aware of the placebo effect.

I am also aware of it's limitations.

The placebo effect can be very significant in improving health.

But mental attitudes can also make you physically sick eg stress and anxiety. I wonder how many people who are getting regular colds and flu are self-isolating and worrying themselves even more sick thinking they are going to die of Coronavirus.

I love when a pathological need to be an ideologue at every turn is portrayed as humanism.
We are currently living in an age berift of ideologues. Given the knowledge we have gained about the nature of humanity in the past 40 years and we now have overwhelming proof that our convictions about the nature of our external environment is correct, its now time to turn away from the irrationality of pragmatism and back to ideology. An ideology thats now based on a vastly superior understanding of our reality compared to the ideologies of the early 20th century.

Today, was meant as of today, stop calling me idiot when your clearly can't look at yourself.

I've been following the numbers every couple of hours, you honestly think I meant 40 in a day. You're disgusting.

It's what you said.

At least your derangement is providing some amusement in these grey days.

The placebo effect can be very significant in improving health.

But mental attitudes can also make you physically sick eg stress and anxiety. I wonder how many people who are getting regular colds and flu are self-isolating and worrying themselves even more sick thinking they are going to die of Coronavirus.

I'll pass when it comes to microbial infections thanks.

The bugs could be initiating their own placebo responses to combat my placebo response. :D :thumbsu:

Electives were cancelled pretty early on in public. I think the privates have also curtailed electives. Patients sick with other conditions are still being seen.

Speaking to someone from a medium sized hospital they said they had 8 ward inpatients and another 1 in ICU. Not a huge burden, yet.

I couldn't find a figure for how many of the 1100 covid19 cases in Vic were inpatients or in ICU, but it should be less than 300 if our figures are typical of how many get sick. Again not an overwhelming burden if you have already reduced electives. Around 57% of public bed admissions are elective and only 43% emergency, so you do have a bit of capacity to make in a crisis if you are willing to chop the electives.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back