Autopsy Geelong loses to Demons by 4 points - Rd 23

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can’t ignore mods.

But i’ve never put anyone on ignore anyway. I’m cool with everyone having an opinion, and if it’s not something i agree with then i will provide rebuttal to the contrary. The way it should be.

I only put them on ignore when they've demonstrated an inability to keep their focus on the ball, or their posting shows a clear intention to bait.

so we are about to play a final. We have known who our opponent was 2 days ago and yet there is still no first final preview thread.

the Mystery deepens.

What mystery?

There's nothing wrong with having patience, especially considering:
- preview threads normally aren't started until the Monday
- after an emotional match such as Saturday night, it's actually more beneficial to have the review thread as the main place to vent for as long as possible rather than it seeping into the preview thread also
- mods have lives outside of BigFooty which will take priority over starting a preview thread

Preview threads have always been started within a suitable period of time, so just chill

Can’t ignore mods.

But i’ve never put anyone on ignore anyway. I’m cool with everyone having an opinion, and if it’s not something i agree with then i will provide rebuttal to the contrary. The way it should be.

Still not sure what difference it makes if someone is a mod. There’s a few people back pedalling to suit their position. Mod or not - surely you have to let people think for themselves. The whole “playing the man” piece is a convenient distraction in my view.

The fact that someone had a different opinion in the first place, and did not “play the man” (as some are now conveniently overlooking) is the issue here.

I’ve moved on and really couldn’t care less what other people think. That’s half the problem nowadays when it comes to most things. Seems we’re breeding a generation who think their opinion is the only one that counts, and when you dare present a different view, the easily offended tend to take a scorched earth view. Watch Lisa Wilkinson on The Project if you want to see Exhibit A.

Is there any particular reason why we can’t have a forum where people feel comfortable presenting different views? Or are we just taking the middle ground and agreeing with each other just so as not hurt anyone’s feelings.

Playing the man seems to be a rather convenient way of telling someone to fall into line - agree with everyone else - and not offend anyone.

Not sure that’s the idea of a forum is it? And apologies if anyone interprets my views or comments as “playing the man” ….. but I’m not apologising for having my own opinions. Hawkins is a favourite of mine - and an important player for our finals success. Makes no sense I’d want him rubbed out - but in my personal opinion, anyone who’s played at any level would know that these blokes are finely tuned athletes who know exactly what they’re doing. Actions and consequences are one percenters and these athletes are trained and coached to within an inch of their lives. Unless we need reminding - he does have form in this regard.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Hardly surprising. The Cats also paid no attention to him for the entire game on the weekend.

:mad: :mad: :mad:

not sure there was necessarily that much in it anyway - did any Cats teammates get stuck into Lever after the incident because I tend to use that as a good indication if a player has over stepped the mark or not

Felt like a free kick was the right call and not sure it really warranted further action

Going to the goal line. If he took the shot for goal and our biggest player wasnt on the goal line we all would be saying why wasn’t Stanley o n the f*** goal line.

Anyone who has ever played ruck has been caught out in that position at some point - Stanley himself is good at pushing forward and finding space or a mismatch.

Stanley's error wasn't to leave Gawn and head to the goal line, it was that he didn't make sure someone was covering Gawn first. A communication issue.

Does anyone know how close Duncan and Tuohy are to being available, havent heard much from the club in regards to Mitch other than he was back on the track, hoping he is ready to go, Tuohy i reckon could be another week at least is my guess.

Still not sure what difference it makes if someone is a mod. There’s a few people back pedalling to suit their position. Mod or not - surely you have to let people think for themselves. The whole “playing the man” piece is a convenient distraction in my view.

The fact that someone had a different opinion in the first place, and did not “play the man” (as some are now conveniently overlooking) is the issue here.

I’ve moved on and really couldn’t care less what other people think. That’s half the problem nowadays when it comes to most things. Seems we’re breeding a generation who think their opinion is the only one that counts, and when you dare present a different view, the easily offended tend to take a scorched earth view. Watch Lisa Wilkinson on The Project if you want to see Exhibit A.

Is there any particular reason why we can’t have a forum where people feel comfortable presenting different views? Or are we just taking the middle ground and agreeing with each other just so as not hurt anyone’s feelings.

Playing the man seems to be a rather convenient way of telling someone to fall into line - agree with everyone else - and not offend anyone.

Not sure that’s the idea of a forum is it? And apologies if anyone interprets my views or comments as “playing the man” ….. but I’m not apologising for having my own opinions. Hawkins is a favourite of mine - and an important player for our finals success. Makes no sense I’d want him rubbed out - but in my personal opinion, anyone who’s played at any level would know that these blokes are finely tuned athletes who know exactly what they’re doing. Actions and consequences are one percenters and these athletes are trained and coached to within an inch of their lives. Unless we need reminding - he does have form in this regard.

Again, there's no issue with someone having a different opinion. Not with me anyway.

But for a forum to remain sensible there needs to be some guidelines or it'd very quickly turn to sh*t.

Anyhow, it's done and dusted. We can agree to disagree and move on, I'm sure.

not sure there was necessarily that much in it anyway - did any Cats teammates get stuck into Lever after the incident because I tend to use that as a good indication if a player has over stepped the mark or not

Felt like a free kick was the right call and not sure it really warranted further action

To be clear, I have far more of a problem with how little attention our team paid to Lever rather than whether the MRO showed any interest in his game on the weekend.

Anyone who has ever played ruck has been caught out in that position at some point - Stanley himself is good at pushing forward and finding space or a mismatch.

Stanley's error wasn't to leave Gawn and head to the goal line, it was that he didn't make sure someone was covering Gawn first. A communication issue.

The one thing that got me is how did stanley not see it was going to drop way short?

It got pointed out on the sunday footy show that he was on the back foot, expecting to have to move backwards. And by the time he noticed it was going to gawn he didn’t react fast enough, to try to spoil. And being on the back foot cost him time as well.

He played that whole situation poorly. But as you said, he should have directed a team mate to cover his man.

The one thing that got me is how did stanley not see it was going to drop way short?

It got pointed out on the sunday footy show that he was on the back foot, expecting to have to move backwards. And by the time he noticed it was going to gawn he didn’t react fast enough, to try to spoil. And being on the back foot cost him time as well.

He played that whole situation poorly. But as you said, he should have directed a team mate to cover his man.

There's another angle that shows a teammate calling Stanley back to the goalline. It was an obvious communication breakdown by the team but I don't think it's fair to blame it all on Stanley. Maybe Stanley was meant to be on the goalline in case Lever had a shot, and Blicavs/Hendo covering Gawn? Either way the closest player to Gawn when he marked was Rohan which is clearly far from our plan.

we only kicked 12 cos the ball hardly made it to our forward line after half time. A result of our midfield getting absolutely belted and trying to play controlled football around the half back line.

interested to know what the midfield stats were for the last quarter.

clearances, contested Football, center clearances, possessions

then what Oliver petracca and gawn got in the last quarter compared with our mids.

I'm not sure I'd be saying it just comes down to luck. Linc Mccarthy has played every game for the lions this year and they've even managed to get cockatoo on the park for consecutive games. Does our medical department need to be looked at?

cockatoo was made good by our medico department then decided to leave, same as McCarthy. Actually pisses me off they keep going after our talented injury riddled players to poach them after we spend years getting them right

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Going to the goal line. If he took the shot for goal and our biggest player wasnt on the goal line we all would be saying why wasn’t Stanley o n the f*** goal line.
Nobody mentions a significant play where simpson had the ball and was streaming clear when he was shoulder charged by Dangerfield disodging the ball thus setting in train the farcical OOB sequence. Stanley was poor but Simpson had a case against Paddy trying to be a superhero at his teammates expense.

Hardly surprising. The Cats also paid no attention to him for the entire game on the weekend.

:mad: :mad: :mad:
On Lever, he seemed to be on 1 of our small fwds or loose for the majority of the game, suggests Melb had confidence in May & Petty covering Hawk & Jezza and little respect for Rohan. It was mostly Miers who also looked like he needs some match fitness.

What mystery?

There's nothing wrong with having patience, especially considering:
- preview threads normally aren't started until the Monday
- after an emotional match such as Saturday night, it's actually more beneficial to have the review thread as the main place to vent for as long as possible rather than it seeping into the preview thread also
- mods have lives outside of BigFooty which will take priority over starting a preview thread

Preview threads have always been started within a suitable period of time, so just chill
Always have? Daz once berated me after I asked him why he starts the preview threads so quickly after the previous Game (within an hour of the previous game finishing -this was the norm at one point not long ago).

good that the mods now agree with me.

weird though for such a delay before a final. The port one started at 10:31pm on Saturday night.

not that I’m complaining. I just find it interesting. All good.

There's another angle that shows a teammate calling Stanley back to the goalline. It was an obvious communication breakdown by the team but I don't think it's fair to blame it all on Stanley. Maybe Stanley was meant to be on the goalline in case Lever had a shot, and Blicavs/Hendo covering Gawn? Either way the closest player to Gawn when he marked was Rohan which is clearly far from our plan.

100% spot on.

The vision on Ch9 focused lazily on where Stanley wasn’t. It’s not that simple. On the vision he looks back a couple of times - clearly there’s team mates on the goal line calling him back. And after Gawn marked, watch Stanley turn straight back to the goal line and remonstrate.

Too much focus on the end result. Watch the 60 seconds prior. As C Scott said post game - it was a comedy of errors. Guthrie the obvious one. Close next in line. Also panic from a few in that last few minutes - hurried to kick or play on before the umpire called them.

And what was Henderson doing forward - cost Cameron an almost certain goal in the dying stages.

cockatoo was made good by our medico department then decided to leave, same as McCarthy. Actually pisses me off they keep going after our talented injury riddled players to poach them after we spend years getting them right

Perhaps our recruiters can stop selecting players who are injured on the eve of the draft and there wouldn't be any need waiting years on them to come good in the first place.

If I remember correctly, McCarthy was another one we picked who was hobbled on draft day.

No you can't pin it all on stanley. Someone had to be on the line if the kick went over gawns head, in case it rolled through for a goal. But surely someone else could have done that, and stanley stayed on his man?

It was actually a pretty poor situation for a team as experienced as ours.

Where is the umpire behind GAWN to ensure that he does not run off his line, and make sure he warns him of such?
Lever striking someone on the ground is a joke

The odds worked out well for the AFL

The 50 was against close. He punched the ball after it had crossed the boundary line.
2 things on this
1. If close has eyes up on the ball to spoil over, how does he clearly know that's over?
2. Is there any infringement smaller in footy that can give away a 50? Huge penalty for basically nothing.
How does Guthrie kick oob after 30 seconds to settle?
I would rather we take lions to Tassie than face port in front of fans where we basically got the yips last year.

No you can't pin it all on stanley. Someone had to be on the line if the kick went over gawns head, in case it rolled through for a goal. But surely someone else could have done that, and stanley stayed on his man?

It was actually a pretty poor situation for a team as experienced as ours.
Good learning opportunity i think. Practice the play during the week and make sure the breakdown doesn't happen again. Someone like blitz should be on the line. Or put Stanley on the line and put Blitz onto the other ruck.

what the same showed we are able to have great passages
holmes and simpson were ok, but not a step up on Tuohy and Higgins
add a Duncan into the mix, and we will be a better team

close is a dick, as he would have tried to mark it if he thought it was on the line, he knew where the line was

what annoys me more is that cockatoo and McCarthy are the two player types we need now, and we gave them away to a top 4 team

2 things on this
1. If close has eyes up on the ball to spoil over, how does he clearly know that's over?
2. Is there any infringement smaller in footy that can give away a 50? Huge penalty for basically nothing.
How does Guthrie kick oob after 30 seconds to settle?
I would rather we take lions to Tassie than face port in front of fans where we basically got the yips last year.

On points 1 & 2 - delaying of game has been a 50m penalty for a little while, but the umpires don't call it as often as they should. It's explained by this guy

As for finishing top & playing the Lions - that match would have most likely been at AO also and extremely unlikely we would have been playing a QF in Tassie; our preference was to play at AO, so it was just a matter of which team we were playing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back