Autopsy Geelong loses to Demons by 4 points - Rd 23

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Contrary to a previous statement, we do not have "far more talent" than Port; if anything we have less talent than Port, who, after all, have several young guns in their team - we have how many? - together with Wines and Boak etc.

Many of us overrate our talent, but the fact is we've been starved of decent draft picks for years and our first picks in this years draft right now are 30, 31 and 35.

This is the result of trading for Cameron, who has improved our team, only for us to lose Stewart at the wrong moment. So now we're strong in attack and weak in defence. Port's tall will test us on Friday night.
I disagree. I've look at Port's side a dozen times and we definitely have more talent.

Not many of their players strike fear into me at all.

I thought it was dahl too.

Maybe someone got players confused as I can't think of any incident between Lever/Atkins but know the one involving Dahlhaus

Georgiades out with hammy definitely works in our favour. Unless some one hit wonder spud steps up. Highly possible against us.

Rozee isn't a spud but for a bloke who last year started as a dangerous goalkicker he seemed to forget how to do it until exploding with 4 early goals against Geelong earlier this year. But i have my secret weapon, i'll do a bunch of multis and head to head bets that will mozz the absolute bejesus out of Port! I could rake a multi with the sun rising and setting along with the tides going in and out and still find a way to lose.

On points 1 & 2 - delaying of game has been a 50m penalty for a little while, but the umpires don't call it as often as they should. It's explained by this guy

As for finishing top & playing the Lions - that match would have most likely been at AO also and extremely unlikely we would have been playing a QF in Tassie; our preference was to play at AO, so it was just a matter of which team we were playing

Yeah - and thats why i couldnt careless about losing Sat night

2 weeks back - on a hard fast Perth Stadium surface - i watched the Freo/ Bris game

And the Lions played fast attacking- play on champagne football - and torched the Dockers to the tune of about 11 goals

So Melb can look forward to that this week - thats their prize for winning

I’ve noticed this too. He often punches the ball over his head or back into the corridor. Maybe it’s just a couple of random ones but it’s stuck in my mind this back half of the year.

Agree with his punching against the Dees...the one where on the TV he seemed to get a hell of a lot of purchase on the ball but somehow it went backwards towards the goal was not great at all...and then the one in the last quarter with him merely sort of skimming the ball towards goal, only for Spargo to explode like Usain Bolt from the 9m line to gather the ball and kick it, leaving Geelong's ponderous defenders in their wake. At times Geelong do concede soft goals that way..although earlier in the game Hawkins and Cameron got goals in not dissimilar ways.

It's taken me a long time to kind of get over the nature of the loss, but the midfield TPG from Selwood, Danger et al is rather unusual, whether Geelong was trying a plan B or something i don't know. I'm sure the club hates to lose though....so can't imagine the team is happy at the outcome. But i can only trust the players and coach are on the same page tackling a side that they did beat earlier this year at Adelaide, and a side that they have a good overall record against. But playing Port in Adelaide the former are 2 from 2 in Finals.

He's not the only one. Kolodjashnij has been doing it all season.
One of the most refreshing things about reading this thread was the lack of Kolo venom but it has found a way to creep in regardless. Not aimed at just you.

He played a very good game against a guy who had kicked 7 the week b4! And yet there are crickets surrounding ol mate Bews who was possibly close to worst on ground.

Atkins? Are you serious. He was worst on ground.
Have to agree. Atkins kept getting caught with the ball. Backline players waiting for someone to run to space and having to backtrack or hurriedly kick. Guthrie's disposal is normally good but he turned it over a few times and that last kick out on the full pretty much cost us the game. Kolodjashnij can take a good mark but is like a slow moving barge if the ball hits the ground. Two of Simpson, Atkins, Dalhaus should be dropped this week for Higgins and Narkle.

Have to agree. Atkins kept getting caught with the ball. Backline players waiting for someone to run to space and having to backtrack or hurriedly kick. Guthrie's disposal is normally good but he turned it over a few times and that last kick out on the full pretty much cost us the game. Kolodjashnij can take a good mark but is like a slow moving barge if the ball hits the ground. Two of Simpson, Atkins, Dalhaus should be dropped this week for Higgins and Narkle.
His hesitation is a major weakness. it leads to him getting caught, disposing the ball poorly or making the wrong decision.

he has improved this year but the hesitation thing is still a big issue with his game.

My condolences ...horrific performance...taught me that sometimes, its best not to make finals.

The club took years to recover.
Thx I have posted this a few times, but again.

I got a free ticket, was 14, stood in standing room by myself, some guy pissed on my leg. At least I think it was piss :oops:.

BUT my idol Wadey got 5 to break *some* record (can't recall). And when I had a bit to do with Doug later in life I found him to be a totally lovely man.

Talking about terrible disposals, I don’t think Menegola hit a target against Melbourne, hope he improves against Port.

If you just look at the result, a 4 point loss to Melbourne is not bad. But the way they lost, the total capitulation in the last quarter is a real concern. The game plan went from attack to total defence and panic. 4 Geelong players around Oliver and he picks up the ball and kicks a goal. All stood back and watched.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah - and thats why i couldnt careless about losing Sat night

2 weeks back - on a hard fast Perth Stadium surface - i watched the Freo/ Bris game

And the Lions played fast attacking- play on champagne football - and torched the Dockers to the tune of about 11 goals

So Melb can look forward to that this week - thats their prize for winning
but isnt control football better then fast attacking football? Scott can’t be wrong can he?

I just rewatched the last quarter and we actually didn't play that bad.

We looked to have put the queue in the rack for the first 5-10 mins and they took advantage with 4 goals. From there we actually controlled the game and had 5 great chances that we butchered.

1. Simpson is released inside forward 50 and fumbles.
2. Miers has a fairly simple pass to Cameron on the lead 15m out but it half volleys to him.
3. Dahlhaus crumbs and misses under pressure from 15m out.
4. Cameron set shot snap that he'd kick most of the time but hits the post.
5. Cameron and Henderson colliding with an open goal on offer.

Melbourne kicked 1 on the rebound against the run of play and had a couple of tough chances but we were clearly on top. Then with a minute to play Menegola decides on a bizarre cross-field attacking kick when he should've just run the clock down, Guthrie kicks it out on the full, Close gives away 50 and we leave Gawn all on his own.

My worry isn't that we got outplayed in the last. It's that once we got the game back on our terms we somehow found a way to choke and lose through dumb mistakes and skill errors even though we were controlling the game.

I just rewatched the last quarter and we actually didn't play that bad.

We looked to have put the queue in the rack for the first 5-10 mins and they took advantage with 4 goals. From there we actually controlled the game and had 5 great chances that we butchered.

1. Simpson is released inside forward 50 and fumbles.
2. Miers has a fairly simple pass to Cameron on the lead 15m out but it half volleys to him.
3. Dahlhaus crumbs and misses under pressure from 15m out.
4. Cameron set shot snap that he'd kick most of the time but hits the post.
5. Cameron and Henderson colliding with an open goal on offer.

Melbourne kicked 1 on the rebound against the run of play and had a couple of tough chances but we were clearly on top. Then with a minute to play Menegola decides on a bizarre cross-field attacking kick when he should've just run the clock down, Guthrie kicks it out on the full, Close gives away 50 and we leave Gawn all on his own.

My worry isn't that we got outplayed in the last. It's that once we got the game back on our terms we somehow found a way to choke and lose through dumb mistakes and skill errors even though we were controlling the game.

Missed one actually. Rohan dragging May down in a marking contest after he'd dropped it with Danger had roved the pack and was running into goal from 45.

I think our best footy is comfortably better than ports. However they have won 9 of their last 10 games- so they have a bit of the all important ‘momentum’. Doesn’t really matter if it’s been against average teams, it still plays you into form and belief. Boak looked like a man on a mission the other night-I’d like to see him subdued early. The home crowd will definitely be a factor.
We can win this but am not as confident as some. Comon cats.

Last edited:
If you just look at the result, a 4 point loss to Melbourne is not bad. But the way they lost is a concern. They totally lost their composure in the last quarter, players fumbling, missed tackles, 4 Cats defenders going up in the marking contest with nobody left to defend when the ball came to ground, 4 Geelong players around Oliver just watched as he bent down, picked up the ball and snapped a goal, Guthrie kicking out on the full with 30 seconds on the clock. Finally, nobody noticing Gawn was left unattended 15m in front of goal. There is no way that would happen if Tom Stewart was there.

On points 1 & 2 - delaying of game has been a 50m penalty for a little while, but the umpires don't call it as often as they should. It's explained by this guy

As for finishing top & playing the Lions - that match would have most likely been at AO also and extremely unlikely we would have been playing a QF in Tassie; our preference was to play at AO, so it was just a matter of which team we were playing

Thanks but clearly out only to viewers and the umpire. Close is running up to the contest watching the ball to make sure he kills it, not measuring the line down below. Hardly the same as Melksham kicking it away last week after over the line.
Also why would cats lions be any different to Dees lions for venue? Surely would be in Tassie too. I'm just stoked AO only up to 50% capacity this Friday.

One of the most refreshing things about reading this thread was the lack of Kolo venom but it has found a way to creep in regardless. Not aimed at just you.

He played a very good game against a guy who had kicked 7 the week b4! And yet there are crickets surrounding ol mate Bews who was possibly close to worst on ground.
Menegola had bewsy covered easy for his repeated kicks straight to the Dees tall defenders. Kolo always deserves his venom

Thanks but clearly out only to viewers and the umpire. Close is running up to the contest watching the ball to make sure he kills it, not measuring the line down below. Hardly the same as Melksham kicking it away last week after over the line.
Also why would cats lions be any different to Dees lions for venue? Surely would be in Tassie too. I'm just stoked AO only up to 50% capacity this Friday.

Both qualifying finals are being played at AO - it wouldn't matter if it was Geelong vs Brisbane or Melbourne vs Brisbane, they aren't using different venues

The only matches in Tassie are the 2 elimination finals

Besides, when talking prior to the match, Cook said he expected they'd be playing in AO

Speaking before Saturday night's clash with Melbourne, Geelong chief executive Brian Cook said the Cats will likely be sent to Adelaide Oval for their first final.

"I think if we win or lose tonight we'll be playing in Adelaide against either Port Adelaide or probably Brisbane," Cook told K Rock radio.

"My feeling is we'll be heading over to Adelaide, win or lose."

So apparently Dangerfield had a stomach ache (the runs as Scotty seemed to allude to on 360) which is why he was off for like 14 minutes in the last quarter. If we had Selwood and Danger on we wouldn't have lost. Anyway like I said before probably a blessing in disguise with that wake up call and we will come out firing against Port.

Everytime kolo gets thé ball he turns sideways to kick it backwards.
it’s just embarrassing. He is like Simmons with 3 point shooting.
Seems to have lost all confidence kicking forward. May be ‘coaches orders’ .
Early in his career he was clunking a lot more marks too. Just punches now if he gets near it.
Almost like he doesn’t really want the ball in hand, or pressure of disposal.
overcoached perhaps..?
Definitely flatlining in terms of growth as a player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back