Review Geelong defeats Saints by 8 points

Remove this Banner Ad

For the little guys, IMHO, they have to be at the right place at the right time. Doesn't always happen. Or they don't get used when they could be. It's what can happen to wings as well. They can run their guts out all night and not get a pass. Close was around some action, it just didn't get to him.

Agree with this. Close is always dangerous. Often you have to be at the ground to get the birds eye view that TV doesn't capture.

I've already commented on how Dempsey was often free in space (The Ghost) but left unused, possibly in lieu of some regimented game plan.
It's a good sign really. At such times I always think they will highlight that at the evaluation session, and some players have better peripheral vision than others.

I used to love watching Sel behind play, constantly organising the troops, was uncanny how he knew which side the ball was going.

Goes to show how subjective this all is.

BF family (for what it is worth) had Danger and then Dempsey next before Holmes and Bruhn and then a gap in terms of Geelong 5,4,3,2,1…maybe we all go carried away with the shock of a young player break out game?

But Damian Barrett on his weekly 5,4,3,2,1 had Ollie sneaking into the top 5 for the whole round! (He got caught up too) and of course as you posted he was part of Brown’s team of the week etc…

But with the Coach he had Ollie as number 5 (or maybe it was Lyon!) on the list…

So a match winning new gun who is now the RS nom round 1 ..................
Makes me think if EVERYONE bar Scott ( a stickler for following instruction) judged Dempsey in the upper echelon......
Then maybe Ollie went rogue :)

Agree with this. Close is always dangerous. Often you have to be at the ground to get the birds eye view that TV doesn't capture.

I've already commented on how Dempsey was often free in space (The Ghost) but left unused, possibly in lieu of some regimented game plan.
It's a good sign really. At such times I always think they will highlight that at the evaluation session, and some players have better peripheral vision than others.

I used to love watching Sel behind play, constantly organising the troops, was uncanny how he knew which side the ball was going.
Those idiots at (whatever media company he's with) should just take off the chains and let him Romo during the game.

They reminded me of the Hawthorn of very old, constant frustrating scrums, often forced by skill errors. On the odd occasion they got the ball over the back they looked fast but couldn't capitalise. Agree the flooding is frustrating. Clear passages for us were prevented, kicking to packs, no leads, hence no efficient delivery to Hawk. We trashed them with forward entries in the first quarter and also failed to show composure, so same could be said of possible score lead.

PS Lyon is a blight on the game. Same old Rossy with the passive aggressive temperament that may have previously caused trauma in several cases .
Nah! He's a very astute coach. With a bit of luck - and you need that as CS has said often - he could be a dual premiership coach. Our coach thought so much of him he offered him a Director of Coaching role. And has said he regularly consulted him during Lyon's sabbatical.

You're the only person I've had a conversation with who hasn't noticed his coaching style has moved with the times. And I defy you to find a quote from a recognised football commentator that supports your view.

The scrappy game was contributed to by us. It takes two to tango. The narrow ground didn't help either.

Sorry, your two posts show your position has more to do with your dislike of him than it does anything else.

Nah! He's a very astute coach. With a bit of luck - and you need that as CS has said often - he could be a dual premiership coach. Our coach thought so much of him he offered him a Director of Coaching role. And has said he regularly consulted him during Lyon's sabbatical.

You're the only person I've had a conversation with who hasn't noticed his coaching style has moved with the times. And I defy you to find a quote from a recognised football commentator that supports your view.

The scrappy game was contributed to by us. It takes two to tango. The narrow ground didn't help either.

Sorry, your two posts show your position has more to do with your dislike of him than it does anything else.

I'm not looking for quotes, but conversely you could find me one that supports a new Rossball. His motto is not unusual in todays game- pressure and quick ball movement. So running- his boys don't achieve enough of those breaks just yet, we don't allow it, and the game is left with defensive scrums and unsightly flooding.

You're right. I don't like him for reasons I'm not at liberty to say. I'm glad he never took the chance to form interpersonal relationships with our players.
It's not all about wins - personality doesn't change as easily as coaching style,
With board bloodshed at STK they don't call him Ross the Boss for nothing, let's see if "astute" coaching gets his team further this year.

Last edited:
First proper match back, basically every team struggles with ball movement and organisation. Lyon nailed the latter so the template was a typical round 1 grindfest.

If we nailed even our 4 that hit the post (I realise St Kilda had missed chances too) we would've ran away 6 goal winners. Giving St Kilda a sniff meant it was more hard work. Hard work early in the season isn't a bad thing. I'm sure Scott learned a lot and will be ironing out flaws over the next month or two.
Agree. Good Form takes a few games

Set shot goal kicking is fully controlled
Accuracy technique is a learned skill.
Best kickers walk and kick directly at goal.
No excuse for players using bad technique.
Running wide... then kicking wide...duh!!

Can excuse skill / decision errors under pressure
There were numerous unpressured decision errors.
All easily fixed with good coaching
eg. Always target and kick to advantage teammate.
Never just kick forward to no one.

Coach needs to be aware of flaws... to fix them
Some people never learn

I'm not looking for quotes, but conversely you could find me one that supports a new Rossball. His motto is not unusual in todays game- pressure and quick ball movement. So running- his boys don't achieve enough of those breaks just yet, we don't allow it, and the game is left with defensive scrums and unsightly flooding.

You're right. I don't like him for reasons I'm not at liberty to say. I'm glad he never took the chance to form interpersonal relationships with our players.
It's not all about wins - personality doesn't change as easily as coaching style,
With board bloodshed at STK they don't call him Ross the Boss for nothing, let's see if "astute" coaching gets his team further this year.

The fact the club sounded out Lyon for a "strategy or coaching director role" fairly much says it all.

WPtnodA.jpeg

But thanks for confirming you have nothing to offer other than you don't like him.

Sorry mods if this is a bit off topic but next games thread isn't open yet.

Hmm the more i think about it the more i would like Neale to come in VS Crows

In Neale Out Touhy

Mannagh to get a full game and Shark or Duncan to be a sub

Only problem i see is Bowes but i would be ok with him getting 1 more week off to make sure he is 100%

I just really want a leading jumping forward to give us an outlet out of defence and on the wing and also a pack mark forward. Yes i know we have OH but he is obviously underdone atm and not providing that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

FMD The skinny ground again!
So 11m skinnier allows our defenders to set up further downfield, yet it's longer than the MCG? Makes no sense Brownie.

Thanks anyway, interesting.

MCG is 146m wide KP is 115m wide. On a wide ball the zone covers more of the centre of the ground. If the ball is in there centre you need a couple less players to cover the width of the ground which gives your subsequent lines more players and more density.

Makes the territory game after winning Centre clearances a lot more effective. Teams that use the width of the wings to do slower indirect switches to open up the zones find it less effective. It can really * with teams.

MCG is 146m wide KP is 115m wide. On a wide ball the zone covers more of the centre of the ground. If the ball is in there centre you need a couple less players to cover the width of the ground which gives your subsequent lines more players and more density.

Makes the territory game after winning Centre clearances a lot more effective. Teams that use the width of the wings to do slower indirect switches to open up the zones find it less effective. It can really * with teams.
[/QUOTEpl

Ohhh righty-o, I get it, thanks for the explanation
KP is now 116m wide. So 11m each side narrower than the MCG. I suppose that's a fair bit if you pace it out.
I'm amused that they shitcan us for the advantage, but the reverse would apply when we play on wider grounds?
Yet as our MCG record shows, it's possible to adapt to both, so go us.

BTW Adelaide oval is only 124m wide, so 7m each side narrower than the MCG, and I don't hear the same wailing.

Ohhh righty-o, I get it, thanks for the explanation
KP is now 116m wide. So 11m each side narrower than the MCG. I suppose that's a fair bit if you pace it out.
I'm amused that they shitcan us for the advantage, but the reverse would apply when we play on wider grounds?
Yet as our MCG record shows, it's possible to adapt to both, so go us.

We've had years where there was a big gap between what we did at KP and what we did at the MCG. We also play more often at the MCG(3 home games + a couple of away games) then teams play at KP(at most once a year).
BTW Adelaide oval is only 124m wide, so 7m each side narrower than the MCG, and I don't hear the same wailing.

That bodes well for us this weekend

I was at a game v Collingwood in '79 at Kardinia, the official crowd I think says 30,496, there would have been 45 to 50k. It was actually dangerous what a lot of kids and teens were doing to get a vantage point.
I was there too incredible crowd,1951 we had 44,000 plus at Kardinia Park for a Home and Away game V the Blues.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back