Review Geelong exorcise the Demons by 15 points.

Remove this Banner Ad

That is a highly dissappointing comment

Every supporter of every club - wants any player who pulls on their jumper/shirt whatever to be a top notch player for their club and wish them all the best

But it is a football forum FFS - surely supporters are allowed to discuss the pros and cons of all players - otherwise it is just a one way traffic/discussion that alll Geelong players are going to make the make the grade and be very good players - and anyone who doesnt have that view/opinion is a completes aaarsehole

My view - Ollie Henry has got a long way to go - and at 21 - i reckon Stephen Reynoldson had shown alot more than O Henry - and Reynoldson had to play CHF on blokes like Bruce Doul - how do you reckon O Henry would go at CHF opposed to someone like Bruce Doull

The hype for O Henry - given what hes performed - is way over the top in my opinion
Cheers GOB - even though I quoted your post I wasn't having a go at you specifically , sorry if you took it that way.
I agreed in my post that OH has a long way to go to play the Geelong way but I'm also of the opinion he's going to be a high end talent eventually.
His goal output so far suggests he can find the big sticks , let's hope he builds on that and rounds out the other aspects of his game.

but it's the possies dude, it's all about the possies :tongueoutv1:
Pickett from the Dees averages less touches and less goals per game than Ollie has at the Cats, after almost exactly twice as many games in the system. So it's pretty clear who's really failing to deliver on expectations as a forward in this discussion.

:rolleyes:

Interesting stat.

FzOOa_baQAADV93

Ot
but it's the possies dude, it's all about the possies :tongueoutv1:
Its not and it’s a base kind of dumb sarcasm… defensive efforts are not about possies… he doesn’t do anything in a defensive sense… and 0-1 possies to half time is a wasted forward spot… but he will be better in 3-5 years… how about get it done now or go to the VFL. We are 7-7 and not challenging… let’s get to higher standards… or we accept it . Easy choice… for some!

Ab
Pickett from the Dees averages less touches and less goals per game than Ollie has at the Cats, after almost exactly twice as many games in the system. So it's pretty clear who's really failing to deliver on expectations as a forward in this discussion.

:rolleyes:
Absolutely and they accept forward line mediocrity… guess what no cup for them if they continue with that inept forward line…

I don't care where Sav stands as long as he keeps taking intercept marks and punching the ball when he should. Kolo knows what to do but he doesn't necessarily do it, and sometimes he's incapable of doing it. e.g. Standing flat footed behind his opponent Fritsch (who was on the fritz) while the ball came in was an example. Kolo didn't react until Fritsch had alread clunked the ball. Blicavs gave him an incredulous look and Kolo shrugged his shoulders. Kolo occasionally puts in a pretty good game but is liable to turn the ball over under pressure.

He's pretty non experienced .
Stewart and other def help him out telling where he should be .

The backing group that played last night seemed to work well together .

Sav not a great ball user ...

Give it alone.

Unless they want Henry up forward

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone get to the bottom of what took place at the end of Chris Scotts presser?

Fox Footy picked it up - it finishes and as he gets up he eyeballs someone with a death stare - pauses - then asks “can someone tell me when the cameras are turned off.

Looked like he wanted to tear someone a new one.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Fox Footy picked it up - it finishes and as he gets up he eyeballs someone with a death stare - pauses - then asks “can someone tell me when the cameras are turned off.

Asked the same question but got no definitive answer.

Ot

Its not and it’s a base kind of dumb sarcasm… defensive efforts are not about possies… he doesn’t do anything in a defensive sense… and 0-1 possies to half time is a wasted forward spot… but he will be better in 3-5 years… how about get it done now or go to the VFL. We are 7-7 and not challenging… let’s get to higher standards… or we accept it . Easy choice… for some!
Which forward should be replacing him? We always pick 7. Dempsey and Simpson are our two other options.

Having thought about it more today I think it might be to do with the journo who asked about beating the “reigning premiers”. Scott curtly replied “that’s us” and then apologised for being snarky. I wonder if he wanted to do it properly after cameras went off.

Yes… spot on at this stage of his career… some accept those standards willingly and wonder why … strange.

Statistically henry is tracking well above average for a 20yo fwd.

Absolutely and they accept forward line mediocrity… guess what no cup for them if they continue with that inept forward line…
Pickett's a premiership winner in his role with the Dees. So it's not like he's been part of a totally inept system during his time there.

And Ollie also averages around half a goal per game more than McCarthy at the Lions, who has been considered to be a more than decent pick-up for them. Having played almost 100 AFL games less than Linc at this point, I'm also backing Ollie in to continue improving well beyond his current output as well.

Despite the fact his career is only just underway, Henry already averages more goals per game than players such as Pickett, McCarthy, Jamie Elliott, and Jack Ginnivan. And his goal average actually sits very neatly alongside one of the premier smaller forwards in the comp in Tom Papley.

Given the role he's being asked to play (and his relative inexperience in the AFL system as a whole), he's actually performing admirably. Which is probably no small part of why he's being selected to play in the seniors every week across the course of this season. It's really not half as contentious as some posters here would like to suggest.

Last edited:
This +Sav's disposal is just a bit behind the current back 6.
Wow Kolodjashnij gets forgiven a multitude of sins including regularly turning the ball over by hand and by foot, but Sav who takes multiple intercept marks and kills off forward thrusts by getting a fist to the ball is dismissed because his disposal is not up to par. I guarantee Sav will come into the team as soon as he is fit and one of the so called back 6 will make way. You saw what Port Adelaide's tall and mobile forwards did to Geelong's backline. Zach Guthrie was busting his guts to get to contests because the rest of the back 6 were not doing it. Guthrie had 26 disposals, 612m gained and 13 pressure acts. Kolo had 10, 118m gained and 5 pressure acts, JHenry had 10, 169m gained and 8 pressure acts.

Our backline this week will likely be someone like J. Henry or Kolo rested, and Sav coming in. Will be up to him to push one of them out come the pointy end. My money is on Henry at this stage, as it's not been his best year, and he's really in no man's land when it comes to his role in the team. Sav is a taller interceptor and better one on one, and guys like Zuth are better rebounders.

We could always omit O'Connor who is 6'3 as well, and back in Henry given his immense talent, but we'll have to see what the MC does moving forward. I've said it all year though, rightly or wrongly, when Sav is fit - he will be selected.

Great win on Thursday day night, with a magnificent final qtr given missing so many key players and the quality of the opposition with important contributions and moments from the whole team. Rohan has gone to another level in recent games. Looks like he has more freedom and desire to impose on games rather than purely be third string marking/pressure forward and cameos. Wonderful game by Bruhn and Close.

Really liked the effective switch of game plan in last qtr - opening up the forward line for Pagan’s paddock/over the back running to goal - really suited the conditions and removed the Lever, May advantage.

Last edited:
Thought our younger players stood up tonight, mostly in the last but a few did it for periods all night.
Bruhn I thought was huge, Close amazing, Gryan, Atkins and even Henry had very important moments in that last quarter.
Stanley won the ruck battle which allowed Blicavs to provide more of what he's used to, and Rohan stood up in tough conditions to be a factor.
Battled without gaining ground through the middle 2 quarters but then the last quarter some just stood up and sparked the rest of them.

Stanley was huge. Loads of little toe pokes, anything to get the ball going in the Cats direction. Very noticeable at the game a little less so on tv.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Remove this Banner Ad

Back