Review Geelong exorcise the Demons by 15 points.

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep we are starting to see the fruits of our trade period last year. Him ollie and bowes were all very good tonight (the first 2 have been good all year).

Rohan was also immense and stanley back was very important structurally. Some of these role players have been very interrupted injury wise and it hurts us-if we can keep them healthy i think we can still threaten in finals if we get there. Thats the big IF as to if we can get to 13 wins.

Um not so sure about Bowes. Nice guy but the crowd where I was certainly thought he shirked a few hard contests.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

From the bits i saw.
Atkins
Rohan
Close
Bruhn
Stengle
BLitz
All very good - even Stanley had moments in wet weather footy -

Again only the bits i saw but the memory of a Premiership side stirred tonight - lots to do still but as we get some players back that form was good to see.

GO Catters

Stanley was huge. Much more influential than the vision suggests. He did allot after half time with these little toe pokes to advantage.

Agree with this except Bowes… I didn’t rate his game at all.

Agree. At the game he shirked a couple of contests so the crowd thought. I didn’t have my glasses but I just don’t trust him, hopefully yet. He’s a nice guy though. Just reminds me a touch of Bruce lindner, and how he shirked a contest in ‘89 GF and stamped his passport to Adelaide not long after. Blightey couldn’t look at him.

Another highly frustrating week.
For long stretches of the game Melbourne - who are a class outfit - looked far more organised and composed in the testing conditions.
I thought we looked very close to beaten at one point in the third quarter.

But we found another gear in the last quarter and got it done. We live to fight another day.

Tom Stewart was excellent defensively; spoiled and smothered brilliantly on mulitple occasions.
Should be All Australian again this year despite a few setbacks.
Showed great leadership tonight - apart from a generally flawless defensive game, I saw him consoling Gary Rohan shortly after we lost Jeremy Cameron to Rohan's ''friendly fire''.

Rohan for his part played a very focused game. His final, decisive goal was epic. 3.2 tonight, should have had at least 4, probably 5.

Brad Close found more of the ball than he usually does; like many of his teammates he was fumbly and his decision-making erratic early on - but he got better and better as the night went on. it was a similar story for his fellow members of the Flea Circus in Miers and Stengle.

Ollie Henry's a funny one. Not his type of night, and he looked ill-equipped at times. But he likes to fly at the ball; he wants to take a hanger.
You really rarely get that in today's AFL. It finally paid off in the last quarter and his early goal added further fuel to the fire.

Mitch Duncan looked to be running on fumes for much of the evening; no fizz in his game.
Constantly turned it over by foot.
And yet.There were signs of life in the last quarter.
Kicked a goal.
Found a long target with good vision and execution late; a small thing like that can spark a player down on confidence.

Tanner Bruhn, Max Holmes are both contributing strongly given their age and experience; however both are prone to long in-game stretches where they struggle to get involved. I probably expect a bit too much of these two as they have shown plenty in a short time (Bruhn 40 games, Holmes 41).

Tom Atkins had a tough assignment when opposed to Christian Petracca; a class below and out of his weight division. He fought on gamely though; Petracca was never entirely quelled but Atkins made some huge plays in the last quarter to turn the tide.

Isaac Smith's tackling was inispid; he's got a lot of credits in the bank but he shouldn't get a free pass for that kind of tackling effort.

So we might get Dangerfield back next week, but we'll be without Cameron. It's been like that all year long.

5 Tom Stewart - Did not make one error all night long. Made some big goal-saving plays; pulled them off almost nonchalantly.
4 Gary Rohan - Huge game; looked dangerous all night, best forward on the ground.
3 Tanner Bruhn - Found time and space in seemingly tight situations. Incredibly composed against one of the best teams in the comp.
2 Brad Close - Career-high disposals. Not at his very sharpest, but worked as hard as I have ever seen him work.
1 Mark Blicavs - typically industrious game; did a bit of everything.

Agree with most of this except on Smith and Holmes. Smith looked rooted most of the night and made some inexplicable errors the obvious one not going for goal and short passing it to Melb. Holmes was huge all night and was one often still going when we were under the pump he was still chasing. Stengle looks a bit unfit as do a number and I’m wondering if the late preseason is playing a role. The hanging in there was epic with dees making repeated thwarted entries.

Just to put into perspective how crazy our win is from a resourcing perspective, our list was super moneyball

excluding Cameron

The team we fielded had a total DVI of 6639, of which 10, had a cost of 0

Their team fielded a total DVI of 19118 of which 3 had a cost of 0

No idea what you are talking about!!

It’s an uninformed and ignorant way of looking at professional sport at an elite level. Confidence is a very precious commodity. Hard to build, easy to lose.
The other BIG issue is cohesiveness.
CS has alluded to this all year. It’s disingenuous to not acknowledge that a conga line of key players in and out will not just hurt you with the loss of an individual player, it’s losing the mojo of each line plying together week in, week out.
I was actually quite pleased it was 1 in, 1 out this week.
Next week may be the same.
In: Ratagolea
Out: Cameron.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agree. Jenrie to foward line

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

Spot on. I said when watching him after the incident this will either put him right off his game and he'll be a spare wheel, or it'll fire him up, luckily it was the latter and he produced one of his best games in the hoops.

Maybe we should get him to knock someone out each week. :think:
So maybe there is a role in the side for Parfitt after all? 🤔

Whatever we've heard to date I can't see Danger playing next week with his injuries. And no Cameron either, so the game will be a huge challenge.

Knevitt should come in and shouldn't have been omitted really. Haven't made my mind up about Bowes - he's very slow.

Jack Henry goes forward and Esava comes in.

Apart from those already mentioned, i thought Holmes was also instrumental in the win.

If Ollie H can play 4 quarters we're looking good.
People keep saying Knevitt shouldn't have been omitted. I reckon it's fair to assume the club knows more about what he needs than we do and that it's about managing his load by rotating him between AFL and VFL as he develops (or something like that). Everyone knows he played a great game against the Dogs. I think we can afford to have a little faith in the club's skill with this stuff - we've had some decent success over the past couple of decades.

Our backline this week will likely be someone like J. Henry or Kolo rested, and Sav coming in. Will be up to him to push one of them out come the pointy end. My money is on Henry at this stage, as it's not been his best year, and he's really in no man's land when it comes to his role in the team. Sav is a taller interceptor and better one on one, and guys like Zuth are better rebounders.

We could always omit O'Connor who is 6'3 as well, and back in Henry given his immense talent, but we'll have to see what the MC does moving forward. I've said it all year though, rightly or wrongly, when Sav is fit - he will be selected.
I agree that they'll want to bring Sav back in but no chance that Henry would be the one to make way. Not only is he an extremely talented player with more experience, he's got great flexibility that the club and coach loves, and he's just building back fitness from a major injury. He had his best game this week and will keep getting better from here. He was interviewed on KRock and said he's getting match fitness back and starting to be able to run out the game.

I agree that they'll want to bring Sav back in but no chance that Henry would be the one to make way. Not only is he an extremely talented player with more experience, he's got great flexibility that the club and coach loves, and he's just building back fitness from a major injury. He had his best game this week and will keep getting better from here. He was interviewed on KRock and said he's getting match fitness back and starting to be able to run out the game.

Seems a no brainer to me that J Henry will play forward to replace JC, and Esava will slot in down back v Swans.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

IMO, Blitz is the best player in the AFL. Name me another current player who can play ruck, on-ball or down back and do the job to a tee. Hell, he could probably play up forward permanently as well, but we don't know as we haven't needed him to do it yet.
I wish I could find my comment from about 8-9 years ago when he was one of our 'whipping boys" and I said given all his attributes he could be another Koutafides. I reckon he's gone past Kouta.

Oh that's awesome - really happy to hear there's actually been something up, rather than just a downturn in form.

Reckon it might be what another poster here said, in that Sav might just come in for Jez, and Jack goes forward in his place.

From there (provided we stay relatively healthy), we'll start resting players to allow gametimes for others - like Sav.

Agree. At the game he shirked a couple of contests so the crowd thought. I didn’t have my glasses but I just don’t trust him, hopefully yet. He’s a nice guy though. Just reminds me a touch of Bruce lindner, and how he shirked a contest in ‘89 GF and stamped his passport to Adelaide not long after. Blightey couldn’t look at him.

Lindner was one of our best players that day.

Lindner had freakish ability though- I don't see that in Bowes at all. Plus he was one of our GF best in 89.

Sav slots straight into CHB, Henry CHF this week, if Sav is back.

I wish I could find my comment from about 8-9 years ago when he was one of our 'whipping boys" and I said given all his attributes he could be another Koutafides. I reckon he's gone past Kouta.
Totally agree now and then, on all points.

Agree with most of this except on Smith and Holmes. Smith looked rooted most of the night and made some inexplicable errors the obvious one not going for goal and short passing it to Melb. Holmes was huge all night and was one often still going when we were under the pump he was still chasing. Stengle looks a bit unfit as do a number and I’m wondering if the late preseason is playing a role. The hanging in there was epic with dees making repeated thwarted entries.

I thought the same about Duncan for the 2nd and 3rd quarters, but all players redeemed themselves in that awesome last quarter.

That is a highly dissappointing comment

Every supporter of every club - wants any player who pulls on their jumper/shirt whatever to be a top notch player for their club and wish them all the best

But it is a football forum FFS - surely supporters are allowed to discuss the pros and cons of all players - otherwise it is just a one way traffic/discussion that alll Geelong players are going to make the make the grade and be very good players - and anyone who doesnt have that view/opinion is a completes aaarsehole

My view - Ollie Henry has got a long way to go - and at 21 - i reckon Stephen Reynoldson had shown alot more than O Henry - and Reynoldson had to play CHF on blokes like Bruce Doul - how do you reckon O Henry would go at CHF opposed to someone like Bruce Doull

The hype for O Henry - given what hes performed - is way over the top in my opinion
OH shows every week he has IT. Might take a while to play 4 great quarters, but even greats like Varcoe received flak on this board. Expecting him to amass big stats at this stage as a very young HFF is premature. He can influence results spectacularly and has done so frequently enough to not only persevere with him, but to enjoy him. Could be a perfect sub in finals this year too.

OH shows every week he has IT. Might take a while to play 4 great quarters, but even greats like Varcoe received flak on this board. Expecting him to amass big stats at this stage as a very young HFF is premature. He can influence results spectacularly and has done so frequently enough to not only persevere with him, but to enjoy him. Could be a perfect sub in finals this year too.
You what?

No idea what you are talking about!!

Few replies like this, so now that its the weekend and our teams have played, I'll expand/explain in case anyone is interested in recruitment, became bit more of an essay than I intended.

Moneyball: the use analytics in baseball recruitment to identify under valued players relative to their cost.

In sports like Baseball or European Soccer, there is often a wide gap in financial terms between the top team. Oakland A's spending 39 Million USD on wages competing with the richer teams spending 130 million USD on wages. Or Leicester City winning the Premier League team, some games they'd play matches were their starting 11 cost around 33 million pounds to buy their players against Manchester City that spent cost of 500 million pounds to buy theirs. Since those teams can't compete in raw talent, they have to be creative in how they recruit and be more open to player development.

I don't know about if analytics side fits in well for AFL, but for me the more useful part is the concept of identifying under valued players, rather than purely chasing the "best players" possible.

AFL has a tight salary cap, so spending isn't a measure of a teams ability to recruit raw talent. Historically, draft pick has been considered the leagues only "currency". If you are a poor performing team, you go to the bottom of the ladder, get a few priority picks, then slingshot up with a group of a players lead by those recruited with high value draft picks.

Regardless on how you value picks, eg average games or the AFL's Draft Value Index, almost anything related to talent pool starts looks like the edge of a bell curve. That as you move to the extremes of talent the number of players decreases faster than the increases in output.

In (hopefully) more plain terms there on average there is a larger gap in talent between the 1st player drafted and 50th players drafted, than there is between the last player drafted, and the 50th best player who was overlooked.

Understanding this, clubs try to through what ever they have into bringing in talent, however it is easy to overspend relative to the advantage gained.

Compare the match up for Petracca vs Atkins, Petracca is a much better player than Atkins by any measure, but he cost Melbourne pick 2 and Atkins cost us a rookie spot which is essentially free, Petracca could be on a 800k contract p.a, Atkins is probably on less than an average wage. AFL player rating system valued Petracca's game at 19.6 points in 84 gametime vs Atkins game valued at 14.8 points in 76 game time. From this perspective Petracca's output was roughly 20% higher than Atkins. But Petracca cost significantly more than the benefit they received in that match up.

Since 2011 we have constantly bled talented players, while still finishing close to the top of the ladder which restricted our access to top end draft picks. The few top picks we had mostly flopped, the ones that didn't were traded away for players like Dangerfield, Cameron, Henderson. Geelong was really head of the curve of the changing recruitment meta brought on by free agency, future trading and then increased acceptability of mature age recruiting (Menegola/Stewart/Close/Kelly/Atkins/Stengle) and Category B rookies (Blicavs/O'Connor). Which gave us a big advantage in our player recruitment and kept us competing despite our diminishing resources.

So how can we value players? It is a bit arbitrary, each list management team would have their own system. At its simplest, it isn't too far different from supercoach, were you aim to maximise Supercoach points within a salary cap with minimal trades available. In AFL list management, clubs have three main restrictions, Salary cap, tradeable assets (draft picks/current players) and list spots and a trying to maximise their chances for winning football games.

The arbitrary parts are

How you quantify "maximise their chances for winning football games", I used AFL player rating to compare Atkins and Petracca, as a post game point of value. But honestly there areas many valid systems as on can conceptualise. It is why you can have people disagree on how good Z.Guthrie played last week with his 20+ disposals. This is also where the efficiency of recruitment starts to matter. Spending too much to recruit can put you in a worse place.

How do you quantify "tradeable assets (draft picks/current players)". I'm sure that there be at a least few accountants, on the board.

Clubs are starting to get a lot more "sophisticated", they can now consider some players at net liabilities separate from their playing output eg Bowes and Grundy due to their contract terms. The treatment of pre-agents is not dissimilar to European Soccer. Where they're willing to consider trading players out a year early for picks then let them walk 12 months later under FA. Club aren't under any requirement to have a consistent valuation method of their players, they can jump from Market Value (what are we being offered, what did similar players cost) to Purchase price less depreciation (yes, this is a thing in European Soccer, divide the purchase price by the length of the contract) at their convenience. The clubs that value their players more accurately than the others are likely to get better deals from their trades) What seems like a fair deal from one method of player valuation could be lopsided in another.

Given that we can choose any player valuation method, I chose DVI or Draft Value Index as our stand in for "spending". it isn't the best method but it is easy to calculate.

DVI is a regression based off average player wages at the different draft picks calculated back in 2015. https://s.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL Tenant/Training/biddingsystemfeedback.pdf

Each player on a list has an acquisition event, where they are drafted, traded or listed. These events can all be described in terms of a draft picks.

Drafted: The draft pick
Traded: The draft pick used to acquire a player, or if it is a player trade, then the cost the other club used to acquire said (I'm ignoring depreciation for convenience)
Listed: Regardless if it is FA, or Rookie, Cat B, SPP, it cost no draft picks

That's the background done.

Why was Thursday such a crazy win. From a cost perspective. They outspent us almost 3 to 1, with their most expensive players still being in their prime.

On the Thursday, we were without Dangerfield and then Cameron got knocked out in the first quarter. They are our two most expensive players to recruit. Those two alone cost around 3500 DVI. Just an aside they were both absolute bargains.

Without them, the team we fielded had a total DVI of 6639, the equivalent to two pick 1s and a pick 30

Their team fielded a total DVI of 19118, the equivalent to six pick 1s and a pick 15

10 of our players were recruited without incurring a DVI cost. As in those 10 players were effectively free for us to recruit. And in more than one case we were actually paid us to take them (Net spend, as in player purchases less player sales, is bigger concept in premier league football)

Our most expensive players was De koning, who cost us pick 19. They had 7 players that cost pick 19 or less. Their 4 most expensive players cost more than our entire team.

Yet despite the uneven playing field we still won, which is a huge credit to the players, coaches, recruitment team and other staff that made it happen.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back