Verbal Faux Pas, Jargon, Cliches, Boganisms, etc

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Verbal Faux Paus

I haven't read the whole thread, but these from yesteryear were classics in light of the whole "Stamp Out Racism In Footy" campaign. [I don't reckon any of them were meant as racist comments, but all qualify as embarrassing faux pas]

Rex Hunt: "Neon Leon! He's as black as a dog!"

Former Magpie Prez, Allan McAllister weighs into the Nicky Winmar/Vic Park racism debate:
"As long as he conducts himself well, like a white person, then all football people will respect him"

Tony Shaw on racial sledging: If it helps us win, I'll say anything. They can call me a white honkey, I don't care.

Tony Shaw on Dean Rioli: He's hiding behind his aboriginality.

When Michael Tuck presented the first ever winner of the Michael Tuck Medal, he announced, "And the winner of the Norm Smith Medal is...."

Classic Tucky. Got the name of his own medal wrong.

I don't know if this fits, but I heard it again this morning and had to share it.

Lou Richards and Jack Dyer were discussing players and the fact that some of them were having sex outside of marriage.

Lou: In my day we never had sex before marriage. I never had sex with my wife before we were married. What about you Jack?
Jack: Well, I dunno. What was her maiden name?

Rex Hunt: "Neon Leon! He's as black as a dog!"
Firstly the quote was "as black as a dogs guts". And also he never actually called Leon that, I can't remember what he was referring too though.

this email is doing the rounds, so I don't know if they're all 'real' :)

Shane Wakelin: "I owe a lot to my parents, especially my mother and father."

believe it or not, but Kym Hodgeman (Glenelg and North Melbourne rover) said pretty much this, after being awarded the 1978 (?) Magarey Medal. I think it was "I'd like to thank my parents..."

Firstly the quote was "as black as a dogs guts". And also he never actually called Leon that, I can't remember what he was referring too though.

You love picking at my posts, don't you?

FYI, it was Neon Leon that Rexy was referring to and what he MEANT to say was, "Neon Leon, he's had a bad day, as black as dog's guts.." but instead what came out was, "Neon Leon, he's as black as a dog..." Then he stopped, got all flustered and the commentary booth all (secretly) pissed themselves laughing at his faux-pas.

Eddie McGuire a few years ago

" apart from their goals the Saints were scoreless in that quarter"

Ron Greenwood ,England Manager

"i'm a firm believer that if you score one goal the other team has to score at least 2 to win."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rex Hunt: "and he tranvestites the centre square"

There was a guy doing an around the ground report for a radio station (can't remember his name) and they crossed to him for a final score and he goes "oh **** they've taken the ****ing scores down."

Tony Greig commentating at the Adelaide Oval when the cameras caught a wedding party in the gardens next door with an Asian bride "She's probably a mail order bride."

Another deliberate Billy Brownless one

"Who got Lade last night?"

He is of course (not so) innocently enquiring who played on Brendan Lade in a Port Adelaide game the night before on the sunday footy show.
Sandy Roberts did that when commenating a showdown

line went - 'Whos gonna get Primus, Whos gonna get Wangernee and whos gonna get Lade'

Mark Willaims - 'running around like a head with its chook cut off'

Yeah something like that. Very interesting way of saying the umpires were pathetic by memory. :D

The earth is slow and the ox is patient is an old WCE one I think.

MM basically went on about the planets aligning and the stars when someone asked him about the umpires. Maybe I can find it somewhere.

Some guy called Phil ringing up 6PR a few years back wondering why 'the small Matera kept doing that hand-away-look-pass.'

I remember when "Living with..." used to be on - y'know with the footy players' WAGs hosting - Dougie Hawkins' wife "Rayles" was talking about someone having to have a "Ree Kneeconstruction"...LOL Still a much-used phrase in our house today!

Yesterday

Thompson also acknowledged the Cats had been lucky that so many former players had passed on their footballing genes.
"Matthew Scarlett wasn't a lay-down misery, mind you. He wasn't a great junior player and we took a risk," he said.

Not verbal I know and I'm sure Bomber said it correctly and the journo wrote it incorrectly.

Years ago on the local ABC radio in Tassie, they were doing an around-the-grounds, whereby the chap at York Park duly informed us that "Ricky Goal has kicked two Browns". Everytime they went back to him for the rest of the afternoon, the commentators of the main game politely inquired as to whether Ricky Goal had added to his tally of Browns.

Dermie is by far the spoonerism King someone should give him a dictionary. The other one that sh@ts me is "Boom Recruit" - is that a recruit that is going to explode in sixty seconds. I would have though it was BOON recruit

Derm's Sam Kekovich malapropism moment was when he described a deceased Hawk stalwart "he was a great anthropologist".

And no, the guy was not an academic in soc. but he may have been a philanthropist.

Derm would like to believe he is not as stupid as two bricks, yet he is.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back