Verbal Faux Pas, Jargon, Cliches, Boganisms, etc

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Verbal Faux Paus

Just about every commentator: "In regards to"

The correct term is "with regard to''. Frustrates the hell out of me....

Along the lines of "Pandora's floodgates", my favourite mixed metaphor comes from English football:

"We threw our dice into the ring and turned up trumps."
BRUCE RIOCH, ITV

I think it was the Hewitt guy on 3aw who reffered to an end on the Launceston ground as: "they'll be kicking to the Australia end of the ground"

That is one way to make yourself very unpopular down there. Another is to pronounce the name of the city as 'Lornceston'. That personally annoys the sheizer out of me. Even the knobhead PM does it.

Another is to pronounce the name of the city as 'Lornceston'. That personally annoys the sheizer out of me. Even the knobhead PM does it.
ha!:) Does he? So do i :)

Incidentally, have you noticed how few people realise that George (Hugh Laurie) is also Dr. House? :p Even Blackadder fans don't realise it. Does he look that different now? :)

ha!:) Does he? So do i :)

Incidentally, have you noticed how few people realise that George (Hugh Laurie) is also Dr. House? :p Even Blackadder fans don't realise it. Does he look that different now? :)

Hugh Laurie as Prince George is possibly the funniest character ever.

"I want people to say 'That George, why he's as clever as a stick in a bucket of pigswill'".

"I'm as happy as a Frenchman who has just invented a pair of self-removing trousers"

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'll start off with a few from the world of Baseball from former Yankees & Mets Manager, Casey Stengel.

"All right, everybody line up alphabetically according to your height".

"Being with a woman never hurt no professional baseball player, It's staying up all night looking for a woman that does him in".

On players who didn't drink: "It only helps them if they can play".

And a few from former Yankees catcher, Yogi Bera.

"Baseball is 90% mental, the other half is physical".

"You can observe a lot by watching".

"It's deja vu, all over again".

"A nickel ain't worth a dime anymore".

"Why buy good luggage ?, you only use it when you travel".

"I really didn't say everything I said".

"If people aren't going to the ball park, nobody's going to stop them".

On being told by the wife of New York Mayor John V. Lindsay that he looked cool despite the heat "You don't look so hot either".

Brilliant.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back