Verbal Faux Pas, Jargon, Cliches, Boganisms, etc

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Verbal Faux Paus

Brendan Fevola's strange reaction to the 92 point loss to St.Kilda.

"Thats the beauty of footy, we were all up after beating Essendon and seven days later we get smashed by the Saints"
(Whats so beautiful about being smashed by the opposition :confused: )

I can recall a coach in the early 2000's coaching a bottom team, and in his press conference announced...

"I don't care if we win, lose or draw"

Registered User said:
worst mixed metaphor ever goes to 3aw's political reporter, Alison Carabine:

"it's opened up Pandora's floodgate of worms" :D
:thumbsu: classic :D

One I read which was said by Peter Gee during the 1988 Olympic Womens' Marathon - "we may see the four leaders enter the stadium shoulder to shoulder - what a climax that would be"

I am surprised no-one remembers this one. When ever I think of it i cant stop myself from laughing hysterically. I hope my memory doeas it justice.

Early season 2005 and Deledio had shown some of his undoubted talent and an old guy named Ron (I think), calls up SEN to talk about him.

The guys says something like - "I saw that new guy for Richmond play - Delulio and he is a good player.

The announcer, Mark Allen I think, says "Who are you talking about Ron?'

Ron - "Delulio, you know the first draft pick"

MA - "You mean Deledio?"

Ron - "Yes, Delulio"

MA - laughing - "No Ron, its pronounced Deledio"

Ron - "thats what I mean, Delulio"

MA - "Ron your thinking of Ron Delulio who played for Carlton a few years back"

Ron - "Nah the Richmond guy, Delulio"

MA - ****ing himself by now - "Ron, lets do this slowly. Repeat what I say OK?

Ron - "OK"

MA - "De....."

Ron - "De...."

MA - "...lead......

Ron - "...Lulio....Delulio"

MA - Cracking up laughing - "No Ron, Try again....repeat after me......De....lead.....io"

Ron - "De....lul....lio"

They repeated it as a promo/laugh section a few times over the next few weeks. Funniest thing I have EVER heard live on the radio.

I'm pretty sure Chris Grant,a few years back,being interviewed on the news about his contract said,"All we have to do now is,cross the I's and dot the T's"

Another story I heard about Jack Dyer, can't remember from who, may have been Bob Davies.

When they both went to a museum or art gallery once he was introduced to the curator, he then say's "I love how you have the lawns looking outside."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

cyberdog said:
I'm pretty sure Chris Grant,a few years back,being interviewed on the news about his contract said,"All we have to do now is,cross the I's and dot the T's"

one of my trainers at work said that very same thing today.

Registered User said:
I think Billy Brownless was mucking around (it's hard to tell :)), but a couple of weeks ago he said:

"deep throne trombosis"

Another deliberate Billy Brownless one

"Who got Lade last night?"

He is of course (not so) innocently enquiring who played on Brendan Lade in a Port Adelaide game the night before on the sunday footy show.

GREAT thread. Some I'd heard, some I hadn't. Lots of laughs.

During the NAB pre-season cup this year a player was lining up for goal and the commentator (it might have been Robert Walls) was saying what a good shot he was. When the ball went off the side of the boot I distinctly heard the commentator mutter "Oh sh1t".

I heard that when Charles De Gaul president of France died his wife went into mourning for many months and made no public appearance. When she was ready she called a press conferance and after discussing the life of her husband was asked by a British journalist what she wanted in the remainder of her life. Speaking english in a her [FONT=&quot]beautiful[/FONT] French accent she said 'appeenes. Her reply apparently caused much laughter.

this email is doing the rounds, so I don't know if they're all 'real' :)

Shane Wakelin: "I owe a lot to my parents, especially my mother and father."

Mick Malthouse: "Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein."

Peter Bell: "I'm going to graduate on time, no matter how long it takes."

Barry Hall: "You guys line up alphabetically by height," and "you guys pair up in groups of three, then line up in a circle."

"I want to kick 70 or 80 goals this season, whichever comes first."

Brock Maclean: on whether he had visited the Pyramids during his visit to Egypt: "I can't really remember the names of the clubs that we went to."

Kevin Sheedy : "He's a guy who gets up at six o'clock in the morning regardless of what time it is."

Jonathan Brown, on night Grand Finals vs Day Games: "It's basically the same, just darker."

Ron Barassi asked Gary Cowton if his problem was apathy or ignorance, and Cowton replied: "Barass, I don't know and I don't care."

Mark Williams: "Chad had done a bit of mental arithmetic with a calculator."

"It was great to see Stuart O'Grady in the yellow gersey"

Ben Cousins: "We actually got the winning goal three minutes from the end but then they scored."

Luke Darcy: "I've never had major knee surgery on any other part of my body."

Adrian Anderson: "Sure there have been injuries and deaths in football - but none of them serious."

Andrew Demetriou: "If history repeats itself, I should think we can expect the same thing again."

Terry Wallace: "I never comment on umpires and I'm not going to break the habit of a lifetime for that prat."

Garry Lyon asked David Schwartz is he'd ever considered writing an autobiography, and David replied: "On what?"

Dermott Brereton: "Luke Hodge - the 21 year old, who turned 22 a few weeks ago."

"Strangely, in slow motion replay, the ball seemed to hang in the air for even longer."

"Well, either side could win it, or it could be a draw."

"I would not say he (Chris Judd) is the best centreman in the AFL, but there are none better."

"He scored that goal after only 22 seconds - totally against the run of play."

"That kick was absolutely unique, except for the one before it which was identical."

When Winston Churchill was Prime Minister of England he was at a public appearance and a woman in the crowd yelled at him "Churchill, if you were my husband I'd put arsenic in your tea!"
Churchill turned to her and said "Woman, if you were my wife I would surely drink the tea!"

Remove this Banner Ad

Back