News Jarrad Schofield departs for West Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Did you see how badly our midfield got smashed last night, or against any decent team this year? Why does our midfield coach get a free pass for that?

I love the guy, he was one of my favourite players and I was super excited to get him back here, but outside of Wines improvement, has our midfield looked any different under his watch to what it was before? I can't say it does.

Correct you can’t bash Ken and then let off the line coach of the line that is the biggest factor in the majority of our losses

Be interesting to see what gig he's been given at Wet Toast... considering he signed a 2 year contract extension with us this year.

Disappointing to lose Schofield, but at least we’ll keep the mastermind behind this wondrous period of sustained mediocrity. Embarrassing.

And have stability. I suppose one way to ensure stability is to drive out any and all of Ken's critical voices. Don't want that. It upsets the stability.

Not sure what to make of Schofield leaving.

Our midfield has a 1 wood of win the contested ball, and if the 1 wood sends us out into the rough we have nothing left in the bag of clubs.

And our 1 wood has consistently let us down in big games over the last 3 years.

So in that respect I'm not exactly devastated that he's leaving. But I also don't think this is the only move we need to make in the coaching ranks. Ridiculous that the club has cycled through multiple rounds of assistant coaches and multiple times Ken has said he has the best group of assistant coaches in the league - yet they don't even consider moving on the senior coach.

The speed at which this was announced tells me they knew last week.

Wasn’t there a rule put in place about talking to coaches during finals?

If it comes out that this was the distraction that infected the playing group before the prelim, heads need to roll and questions need to be asked of the AFL about how it was allowed to happen.

The speed at which this was announced tells me they knew last week.

Wasn’t there a rule put in place about talking to coaches during finals?

If it comes out that this was the distraction that infected the playing group before the prelim, heads need to roll and questions need to be asked of the AFL about how it can happen.
This news was getting around at least a week ago. Of course the players would've got wind of it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To me this is just another sign of weakness. If he had got a senior coaching role then by all means let him go. But to let a contracted coach go because he is becoming more "senior" is ridiculous.

I'm not sure clubs are allowed to stand in the way of assistants who get a job promotion elsewhere

Because it's happened, probably on average 3 times every year for the last 9 years. If it was new under Hinkley id give you that, but its not.

Schofields first move as Midfield coach was to get Boak back into the midfield because Stinkley was ruining him across half forward.

To be fair to all concerned it probably didn’t take God-tier coaching nous to make that move, and (stats needs this way please) we probably improved on our midfield performance against less-elite midfields as a result. And stopped losing “what happen power” games v 9-18. But not improved enough to consistently take it to the elite midfields. At some point it is about personnel, a Bont is always gonna Bont sometimes *and* Drew should have drawn all over Libba. But changing things in a timely manner if you’re getting pantsed to slow it down is on coaching too. Just like bloody 2007. Presumably we try out all sorts of setups at training.

Did Schoey mention who made the call on the starting line up in the middle? Curious.

On iPhone using recycled electrons, via BigFooty.com mobile app

This news was getting around at least a week ago. Of course the players would've got wind of it.

Getting wind of something and having it announced officially are two different things.

Not sure what to make of Schofield leaving.

Our midfield has a 1 wood of win the contested ball, and if the 1 wood sends us out into the rough we have nothing left in the bag of clubs.

And our 1 wood has consistently let us down in big games over the last 3 years.

So in that respect I'm not exactly devastated that he's leaving. But I also don't think this is the only move we need to make in the coaching ranks. Ridiculous that the club has cycled through multiple rounds of assistant coaches and multiple times Ken has said he has the best group of assistant coaches in the league - yet they don't even consider moving on the senior coach.

"Ken needs more support and we're going to put that support around him..."

#stability

Voss
Carr
Richardson
Bassett
Schofield
Montgomery
Lade
Hocking
Nicks
Hentschel
Walsh

The thing I want to know is why do we have blokes like Nathan Bassett, who played 210 games in DEFENCE, coaching our FORWARD line???
We also have Trent Hentschel, a KEY FORWARD, as a DEFENCE DEVELOPMENT COACH

Why the **** are these two guys teaching the opposite end of the ground as what they played and learned their whole careers as a player???

I'm not sure clubs are allowed to stand in the way of assistants who get a job promotion elsewhere
I had a quick Google search and couldn't find anything in writing about this rule. I thought it was a so called 'unwritten rule' and it only applied to coaches who got head coach roles. But Im not sure.

Is there an example of something like this hapenning before?

Was always coming. Schofield has aspirations far beyond being a subordinate to someone he's probably better than and who he'll never learn anything from.

Exactly this - imagine being competent and working under Hinkley.
It would drive you crazy, and anyone that sticks around would be the type that is accepting of the mediocrity that is reflected in our performances for years.

Except that he's probably leaving because Ken wouldn't let him do his job.

#sackken

I’d prefer to rely on facts not guesswork - that’s not meant as a defence of Ken, neither was my previous comment.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back