News Jarrad Schofield departs for West Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Would expect him to be coaching West Coast mid next year if Simpson starts of the way 2021 2nd half went for them. Unlike us it's OK for them to sack a Premiership coach or any other club for that matter but not Ports.

Thing is, now that this has happened, and obviously instigated by Schofield and not the club, finding an ideal replacement is gonna be a crap shoot.

I really struggle to understand the dynamics of being an assistant.

On one hand you want the club you're at to be as successful as possible as it increases your chances of getting a role elsewhere.

However if you have aspirations to be the senior coach at the club you're at, then potentially you're doing yourself out of the role by propping up the current senior coach. Especially if you feel he's holding back the club.

Then you add in the dimension of all the other assistants and the conflicts of personal interests it must be hard to manage.

I can understand how getting Alan Richardson and Choco to complement Goodwin works. Especially if they no longer have aspirations of a senior role themselves (not sure Choco has given up on this yet).

So unless the assistant is looking to grow his experience and offering specific expertise (e.g. I get Bassett as a defensive coach) anyone looking to be a senior coach, from a personal perspective, is better off going to a club that's 5th-14th, hope to be able that spark that helps take them to 1st-3rd so they can then get rewarded with a role elsewhere, typically a club that's15th-18th.

I would live to hear Schofield and Monty's view of what unfolded on Saturday night. I don't doubt they have personal aspirations, however don't think for minute they wouldn't have the club success as their main focus.
I would love to know how much of a say they thought they had, what they thought they got wrong or how much they hand their hands tied and had to watch the shitshow unfold.

Personally if Schofield is worth having as a senior coach at Ports. Then his best chance is to leave and be a part of greater success elsewhere.

Reality is that this may well have always been in the cards, and his plan was, always just to come here to help his son transition into Afl life and now he feels he can go home.

What does "head of strategy and stoppage" even mean and how is it more senior than what he is currently doing at Port...
It's a made up title to cover for a mutually agreed sideways move due to irreconcilable differences.

#sackken

Reality is that this may well have always been in the cards, and his plan was, always just to come here to help his son transition into Afl life and now he feels he can go home.
Yep. He was always behind Voss and Montgomery at Port. It’s a nice transition for him to set up Taj but now not have the conflict of working together (and he’s got a promotion). Not sure why people see this as a controversial move. It’s smart.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep. He was always behind Voss and Montgomery at Port. It’s a nice transition for him to set up Taj but now not have the conflict of working together (and he’s got a promotion). Not sure why people see this as a controversial move. It’s smart.
Signing a two year contract extension not long ago and then suddenly doing an about face and leaving was bound to raise eyebrows.

The worst possible news you could give me after the embarrassing performance on Saturday. Is it not against the rules for other clubs to talk to coaches during the season? He's the only person we had employed who I'd take as head coach just yet (Monty soon though) which says more about how bad our other assistants are than anything good about Ken.

Maybe Jarrad has been really frustrated with his hands tied behind his back. Hence this possible argument with coke Zero ****er pre game. It sounds like most of the assistant coaches moved on because they called Hinkley out on his poor coaching and ken couldn't take it. Hinkley seems to make a good first impression hence the snake oil salesmen. Then the assistant coaches see through his BS. There seems to be one common denominator and that is Hinkley. Also any coaches like Bassett and Voss who have been around for this ride too long are just Hinkley loving yes men. Or simply put arse lickers.

Maybe Jarrad has been really frustrated with his hands tied behind his back. Hence this possible argument with coke Zero f***er pre game. It sounds like most of the assistant coaches moved on because they called Hinkley out on his poor coaching and ken couldn't take it. Hinkley seems to make a good first impression hence the snake oil salesmen. Then the assistant coaches see through his BS. There seems to be one common denominator and that is Hinkley. Also any coaches like Bassett and Voss who have been around for this ride too long are just Hinkley loving yes men. Or simply put arse lickers.

I personally still rate Bass. As a coach he has proven more than Schofield re winning flags as surely the SANFL is a better rated league than out west.

Bass is a smart dude, his wife wants to stay here, he is playing the game that’s all, Schofield is younger and more aggressive and comes from WA, he just chose to leave as he’s really losing nothing going home

Voss is a lost coaching soul. Nobody wants him so he’s just hanging out at a nice cushy job. He should be moved on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back