Play Nice Australia Day messages from Clubs

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Choosing to celebrate that event, is however a personal choice. One that would make someone a knob.

My family first stepped foot on this continent on January 27th 1788 and obviously was on one of the ships that sailed into Port Jackson the day before on 26th January. So the date is obviously significant to many of my extended family. Personally I'm ambivalent about the date changing. On one level I don't really care if the official date changes, but the date will likely remain significant to many (not all) of the 35,000+ living descendants of that First Fleet individual, including myself.

Last edited:
Does Carlton Respect make public pronouncements or simply get on with job.
IF you get your way, you will rip apart what brings people together, because there are 'bigger fish to fry' than footy.

They make public announcements and promote the initiative.

That's what good social citizens do to make sure the voices are heard.

This notion that you can't be a sporting body and have a social conscience is a massive cop-out from people afraid of change.

If people want to stop going to the footy because they don't like social causes, then they aren't worth keeping. Gotta crack a few eggs to make an omelette blah blah

The problem is we have a day for ALL Australians, yet we can can ONLY talk about 3%. Aboriginal Australians are not more important than any other Australian, and we must move on from crimes committed 200 years ago and focus on the NOW.
You can because you have never been impacted by it. Can we also can the Anzac Day celebrations? I font care what happened more than 100 years ago in another country.

Yet again proof you can never be woke enough...

Where is this energy though trying to stamp out the domestic violence, poor treatment of children, alcohol dependance etc?

Oh, thatd involve doing more than posting a hashtag. Itd also make for difficult but needed conversations which need to be had but never will...

I posted a black square on insta. Problem solved

You can because you have never been impacted by it. Can we also can the Anzac Day celebrations? I font care what happened more than 100 years ago in another country.
You've had a shocker here. Those people fought for our country and freedom and you're against them celebrating the country and flag they fought for. Truly idiotic

They make public announcements and promote the initiative.

That's what good social citizens do to make sure the voices are heard.

This notion that you can't be a sporting body and have a social conscience is a massive cop-out from people afraid of change.

If people want to stop going to the footy because they don't like social causes, then they aren't worth keeping. Gotta crack a few eggs to make an omelette blah blah

I beg to differ, its not for a footy club to preach to its followers that are brought together by footy.
If people within that club take social initiatives, good on them, but if you choose to drive away members because of your stance on political, social or religious issues, imho, you are abusing the goodwill that binds footy club followers.
There is room inside footy clubs for different views, its only users/abusers seeking to force their views on the membership under the banner of a footy club.

Got a source for this?

Nearly two-thirds of Australians (65%) say January 26 should be known as ‘Australia Day’ – up 6% points on a year ago​

January 25 2022

So you're saying the race riots last year were a direct result of treaties that the United States have with Native Americans? I don't believe you.

Very strange how Canada and New Zealand didn't have race riots across the entire country for months last year because of their treaties..?
You're fundamentally misrepresenting my argument, either because you don't understand it, or because you don't want to argue in good faith.

My argument was that signing treaties ex post facto (generations down the line) as between racial groups will have the effect of denigrating the idea of individualism at the expense of promoting racial tribalism (or 'identity politics'), which promotes the idea of group as opposed to individual responsibility. The dominance of this idea creates racial conflict, as evident by the BLM riots last year. Those US treaties, I believe, weren't signed ex post facto, were they?

You're representing my argument as: treaties between racial groups (whether ex post facto or not) directly cause race riots. That's not my argument.

Nearly two-thirds of Australians (65%) say January 26 should be known as ‘Australia Day’ – up 6% points on a year ago​

January 25 2022

Wasn't that from a poll of 600 people? (I might have heard that wrong)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yet again proof you can never be woke enough...

Where is this energy though trying to stamp out the domestic violence, poor treatment of children, alcohol dependance etc?

Oh, thatd involve doing more than posting a hashtag. Itd also make for difficult but needed conversations which need to be had but never will...

I posted a black square on insta. Problem solved

Bingo.

No one "celebrates" Anzac Day, thanks for confirming you have literally no idea what you're talking about.

I beg to differ, its not for a footy club to preach to its followers that are brought together by footy.
If people within that club take social initiatives, good on them, but if you choose to drive away members because of your stance on political, social or religious issues, imho, you are abusing the goodwill that binds footy club followers.
There is room inside footy clubs for different views, its only users/abusers seeking to force their views on the membership under the banner of a footy club.

Witness the ever increasing member numbers that make that stance laughable.

So what you're saying is that these supporters want the club to respect their views and not support social causes because these supporters don't respect the club's views?

I want the club to be social leaders in regards to race, sexuality, gender, equality and in fighting domestic violence. If they don't, I'm still going to support the jumper and the on field entertainment.

How weak would you have to be to let an off field stance stop you from supporting on field? I guess I'm not a snowflake so I don't get it.

These evil social issues when all they want to do is watch men be men and kick a ball around a field without being offended by causes which exist because of men being men.

Bring back the biff!!!!

Some powerful statements and well done to all clubs

for me GWS, Hawks and Roos is where the discussion should be at. Truth telling, listening and learning is where the debate should be for now.

Focusing on changing the date shift the attention away from the underlying issue and is counterproductive of truth telling, listening and learning. Resulting in a lost opportunity for long term benefits for all.

Congratulations on being the first knob post of the thread!
congrats on being the first to unload personal insults on others

Harolad spot on with that post, have yet to see any of the people writing these statements give their million dollar+ pad in Melb/Syd back to an indigenous tribe.

not one, and I bet I never will.

Tired of the lip service of acknowledgement without genuine redress, it just rubs salt into the wound for mine, worse than meaningless.

You're fundamentally misrepresenting my argument, either because you don't understand it, or because you don't want to argue in good faith.

My argument was that signing treaties ex post facto (generations down the line) as between racial groups will have the effect of denigrating the idea of individualism at the expense of promoting racial tribalism (or 'identity politics'), which promotes the idea of group as opposed to individual responsibility. The dominance of this idea creates racial conflict, as evident by the BLM riots last year. Those US treaties, I believe, weren't signed ex post facto, were they?

Yeah this just sounds like some word salad bullshit with a little bit of Jordan Peterson sprinkled on top.

If the US treaties weren't singed ex post facto (generations down the line), then fine, we won't use them as an example, which is great, because I guess that means there won't be race riots? Canada have signed treaties in modern times, and they don't have people rioting all across the country, and so once again, if they can figure it out, maybe we can.

That was really easy.

So what you're saying is that these supporters want the club to respect their views and not support social causes because these supporters don't respect the club's views?

I'd hope you are tad more literate than that take on my position.

Footy brings people together. For you to abuse those people by wanting to put a caveat on what that footy club stands for, not footy, is distasteful at best.
The bare minimum should be to advise ALL footy club members before you move the football posts.

I was a member of the Blues in the VFL days & all comers were welcome. We all knew what John Elliot stood for & I didnt ever encounter him abusing my membership by looking to push his political views. IF politics was my go, I would have joined a political party.
There was a coterie that had social interests & I did not join it, I was there for the footy.

Put simply I dont join a footy club for any purpose but footy. I do respect the views of fellow members & that includes NOT using them in any way. In that time the business I managed sponsored another VFL club & I was able to keep business & pleasure at arms length.

The problem is we have a day for ALL Australians, yet we can can ONLY talk about 3%. Aboriginal Australians are not more important than any other Australian, and we must move on from crimes committed 200 years ago and focus on the NOW.
Do you commemorate and pay your respects on Anzac Day?

The date of Australia day means nothing to me. I have no attachment to it and I suspect the same is true of many people. If no one really cares that much about the actual date why not change it for those who really hate the date.

I'm in the same boat, although I have to say I haven't seen anyone celebrate genocide, colonialism or any sort of dispossession. The event being referred to as the source of all the hate - the arrival of the first fleet - wasn't exactly strawberries and fairy floss for anyone involved, with over a thousand people brought to this land against their will and in chains. I suspect there would be tens of thousands of people in this country with a direct descendant.

Nobody is celebrating that, and I suspect we'd all be doing the same thing if Australia Day was another date in summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back