Play Nice Australia Day messages from Clubs

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am all for changing the date, it is not as if it’s a tradition. But what date?
For decades now we have heard that the indigenous want the date changed, but I have never heard from them what date it should be and for what reasons?
Can they at least put up a genuine alternative date because I reckon most people don’t care and for most it’s just a holiday.

The idea that acknowledging genocide of first nations people is "political" is actually f’ed.

How we've still got adults in this country who either choose to ignore, debate or rage against acknowledging the fact that the governments of this nation have played an enormous part in marginalising an entire race of people, the oldest living culture in the world who were actually here to begin with, I just can't fathom.

There's not two sides to this.

Its what to do about it that is the current day political dilemma & history of failure trying to deal with the issues both Federally & every State.

SRP is worse. Mods and admin get away with it there.

Personally, happy my club has said nothing. Leave politics to politicians and focus on football.
They've resorted to recruiting a guy with 1K+ plus posts defending Dan Andrews :$

That sporting bodies should not use their position to advance social causes is bullshit.

Of course they ******* should. AFL would not exist without state and federal funding from taxpayers like me. If the clubs and the AFL are not going to use their position to promote inclusivity and social cohesion then they can give me back my money and heck off.

Friendly reminder the AFL's anti-religious & racial vilification code was the first of its kind in this country, I'm sure there were cavemen complaining about that one too.

It's a shame people forget about the other 97% of Australians and all the amazing things we have to celebrate.

Is anyone actually saying don’t celebrate at all?

Just choose a different day. I don’t understand why some people (online) think the 26th is so important.

I don’t think I’ve ever met a single person in rl that who believes today holds any great significance.

The idea that acknowledging genocide of first nations people is "political" is actually f’ed.

How we've still got adults in this country who either choose to ignore, debate or rage against acknowledging the fact that the governments of this nation have played an enormous part in marginalising an entire race of people, the oldest living culture in the world who were actually here to begin with, I just can't fathom.

There's not two sides to this.
There was no ''nation''.

But what is your solution ?

Last edited:
I am all for changing the date, it is not as if it’s a tradition. But what date?
For decades now we have heard that the indigenous want the date changed, but I have never heard from them what date it should be and for what reasons?
Can they at least put up a genuine alternative date because I reckon most people don’t care and for most it’s just a holiday.
Change the date , no problem do it, this debate will not go away, then it will be targeted for more reasons….

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is anyone actually saying don’t celebrate at all?

Just choose a different day. I don’t understand why some people (online) think the 26th is so important.

I don’t think I’ve ever met a single person in rl that who believes today holds any great significance.

What date do u want? Tell me this mystical blood-free day.

There was no ''nation''.

But was is your solution ?
That’s the million dollar question , how about anyone non indigenous gets back on a boat and goes back to where ever, so I’m gonna get shipped back to England great, born and bred in Melbourne now I’m an immigrant in some ones else’s country…awesome…..

If the clubs and the AFL are not going to use their position to promote inclusivity and social cohesion then they can give me back my money and fu** off.
This thread is great evidence of clubs using their position to promote social cohesion.

That sporting bodies should not use their position to advance social causes is bullshit.

Of course they ******* should. AFL would not exist without state and federal funding from taxpayers like me. If the clubs and the AFL are not going to use their position to promote inclusivity and social cohesion then they can give me back my money and fu** off.

Friendly reminder the AFL's anti-religious & racial vilification code was the first of its kind in this country, I'm sure there were cavemen complaining about that one too.
Why do you want to divide your own club . Members are there for footy & you want to use them to prosecute a political & social issue.
Funding is irrelevant, it doesnt come with political strings & that is what you seem to be advocating.

Remember this is about why the clubs would be involved, not the issues themselves. A footy club is simply the wrong forum & hopefully it stays that way.
You can get the warm & fuzzy feeling you want, just dont use your fellow football club members.

Harolad spot on with that post, have yet to see any of the people writing these statements give their million dollar+ pad in Melb/Syd back to an indigenous tribe.

Thats a strawman. We're not talking about handing anything back, just not celebrating the day it was taken away.

Even that's too much to ask for some of the mouthbreathers on here.

This thread is great evidence of clubs using their position to promote social cohesion.

I'm grateful the Eagles havent followed, they've not asked me & there is no social cohesion policy at the club.
Do you sign up to yours Haro, what else have you signed up for?
How many memberships are lost each year, people joining a footy club for footy.

There are plenty of forums available why do you want to use your fellow members?

My family first stepped foot on this continent on January 27th 1788 and obviously was on one of the ships that sailed into Port Jackson the day before on 26th January. So the date is obviously significant to many of my extended family. Personally I'm ambivalent about the date changing. On one level I don't really care if the official date changes, but the date will likely remain significant to many (not all) of the 35,000+ living descendants of that First Fleet individual, including myself.

That's a far step away from celebrating it as a national holiday though isnt it.

Isn't the point of a national holiday, unity and celebration of what we have?

How does that the day do that, and surely you can see it's a reminder for Aboriginal people of what got taken away?

There is literally zero reason we cant (or shouldnt) move the date for our national day. Not one.

I'm grateful the Eagles havent followed, they've not asked me & there is no social cohesion policy at the club.
Do you sign up to yours Haro, what else have you signed up for?
How many memberships are lost each year, people joining a footy club for footy.

There are plenty of forums available why do you want to use your fellow members?
Whatever the 'social cohesion' policy is at the club, doesn't have much of an impact on my decision to support them or be a member. The club has far greater meaning to me, whatever the extant social code it subscribes to today. Though I did stop watching the BBL, EPL, NBA etc. once the BLM stuff started.

u know I’m right.
No, you're not. And you never have been.

The day will change. And soon. More and more people, and more and more organizations are siding with that argument.

You and yours will be consigned to the dustbin of grumpy old men yelling at clouds soon enough, just like youve been on the wrong side of history with every other one of your 'arguments.'

Do people who get angry when hearing suggestions of a date change really care more about the founding of white Australia than the impact it had on the Indigenous Australians? Indigenous Australians have been saying for over 80 years that this day marks THEIR country’s colonisation.

Seriously makes me chuckle that quite a few of the people against changing the date are probably the same people asking immigrants to “assimilate or get out”. What an example they show when they can’t even agree to changing the celebration date from a day that basically celebrates their ancestors NOT assimilating.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back