Play Nice Australia Day messages from Clubs

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could be even simpler - change Jan 1 to Federation Day, Jan 26 to Reconcilliation Day. Job done. No change to the number of public holidays - keeps the public and corporate australia happy. We can get over this discussion once and for all, whatever its merits, and we can all get on with our lives.

& involving footy clubs in it is a backwards step.

Yeah this just sounds like some word salad bullshit with a little bit of Jordan Peterson sprinkled on top.
WHAT are you talking about? what does this have to do with jordan peterson lmao
If the US treaties weren't singed ex post facto (generations down the line), then fine, we won't use them as an example, which is great, because I guess that means there won't be race riots? Canada have signed treaties in modern times, and they don't have people rioting all across the country, and so once again, if they can figure it out, maybe we can.

That was really easy.
I said before you were misrepresenting my argument either because you don't understand it, or because you don't want to argue in good faith. Now I'm convinced it's because you don't understand it.

I'll make it even clearer.

Ex post facto racial treaties increases racial tribalism and decreases individualism, both of which increases the likelihood of societal dysfunction on the basis of racial tensions/tribalism. An extreme example of such dysfunction being a riot.

You're trying to refute my general proposition by eliciting a particular instance, yet if you look at my argument, it's by no means stated in absolute terms, is it? I'm saying that these treaties generate social dysfunction, with an extreme manifestation being a racial riot - I'm by no means stating that such a result (a riot) is guaranteed by the existence of such a treaty, am I?

People watch to escape the bullshit tbf. I watch footy to watch footy, not to be lectured

Why would you take it as being lectured? If you aren't racist, homophobic, transphobic or a perpetrator of domestic violence, then the message clearly isn't aimed at you?

How does it mess with your watching or enjoyment of the actual game? Why don't you just ignore it?

Sorry no. This was directly in response to you saying clubs shouldnt shove agendas at you. Im merely asking which ones you think they should.

Political issues such as Australia Day. I have no interest in changing the views of fellow members of the Eagles on politics, religion or social issues., but if it comes to the players, the coaches, the game plan, I'm up for a discussion.
Footy is why we are members & what binds us is football.

If you want to run a social campaign, go for it, just dont use your fellow footy club members for that purpose. Religion or politics, dont flout the respect of fellow footy club members for your purpose.

Meanwhile here in Perth, we're having fireworks just to rub it into the Noongar peoples faces.

Boycott that sh*t people. The sooner we have a day that is cause for celebration for all Australians, the better.

Will never happen, people will complain and disagree either way. The day is essentially ruined.

Changing the day doesn’t change the past.

I'd hope you are tad more literate than that take on my position.

Footy brings people together. For you to abuse those people by wanting to put a caveat on what that footy club stands for, not footy, is distasteful at best.
The bare minimum should be to advise ALL footy club members before you move the football posts.

I was a member of the Blues in the VFL days & all comers were welcome. We all knew what John Elliot stood for & I didnt ever encounter him abusing my membership by looking to push his political views. IF politics was my go, I would have joined a political party.
There was a coterie that had social interests & I did not join it, I was there for the footy.

Put simply I dont join a footy club for any purpose but footy. I do respect the views of fellow members & that includes NOT using them in any way. In that time the business I managed sponsored another VFL club & I was able to keep business & pleasure at arms length.

Carlton has a history of appointing Liberal party politicians as number 1 ticket holders. Don't tell me we weren't political.

Syd Jackson was a victim of racism. Eddie Betts is a massive advocate for removing racism for sport.

Carlton had the lowest percentage of female members only 7 years ago. We now have an AFLW club who strongly represent LGBTQI+ and anti-domestic violence causes.

That is time moving on my friend. Don't use Elliot days as some football supporter nirvana with a lack of preaching social causes.

Many of these causes would have seen Elliot as an offender.

I want the club to be social leaders in regards to race, sexuality, gender, equality and in fighting domestic violence. If they don't, I'm still going to support the jumper and the on field entertainment.

That is the antithesis of why I join a football club. No different to my reason for joining any group.
Please dont try to suggest I'm not interested in these issues, its simply unrelated to my footy club membership.
Do you think the rest of the members share your views OR dont you give a damn, you'll use them every day of the week . Would that run to expelling those who arent interested in their footy club using them for whatever purpose. Is that the ultimate solution?

Maybe you see your footy club as a cult for all things good & beautiful. Its a bloody footy club.

Political issues such as Australia Day. I have no interest in changing the views of fellow members of the Eagles on politics, religion or social issues., but if it comes to the players, the coaches, the game plan, I'm up for a discussion.
Footy is why we are members & what binds us is football.

If you want to run a social campaign, go for it, just dont use your fellow footy club members for that purpose. Religion or politics, dont flout the respect of fellow footy club members for your purpose.
Acknowledging that there are issues that affect some people and ecouraging discussion are hardly "running a campaign" or "flouting the respect" of anyone.

Also why do mods get to get away with personal attacks on people in a play nice thread??
SRP is worse. Mods and admin get away with it there.

Personally, happy my club has said nothing. Leave politics to politicians and focus on football.

The idea that acknowledging genocide of first nations people is "political" is actually ****ed.

How we've still got adults in this country who either choose to ignore, debate or rage against acknowledging the fact that the governments of this nation have played an enormous part in marginalising an entire race of people, the oldest living culture in the world who were actually here to begin with, I just can't fathom.

There's not two sides to this.

Last edited:
SRP is worse. Mods and admin get away with it there.

Personally, happy my club has said nothing. Leave politics to politicians and focus on football.

I agree mate! I really couldn’t care less if they did or not. Focus on your pre season. Loving the photos.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Like footy that brings people together ? Am I missing something, are people joining footy clubs for some ulterior motive?

No but people expect businesses these days to be inclusive and responsible, and like it or not, the AFL and its clubs have a big platform. No one has been asked to take action, no one is being forced to do anything. The clubs merely made a statement acknowledging the problematic nature of this

& involving footy clubs in it is a backwards step.

lol what. How.

Acknowledging that there are issues that affect some people and ecouraging discussion are hardly "running a campaign" or "flouting the respect" of anyone.

The footy clubs have taken a position in a political issue. Politics are by their nature divisive whereas a footy club is inclusive around one issue only, footy.

iF you want to encourage discussion its a strange way to go about it, dividing your membership.

No but people expect businesses these days to be inclusive and responsible, and like it or not, the AFL and its clubs have a big platform. No one has been asked to take action, no one is being forced to do anything. The clubs merely made a statement acknowledging the problematic nature of this

lol what. How.

I hope you are right.

Footy clubs need to be careful about getting involved and being forced to comment on every single social, political and environmental issue that seems to get raised every few days. They are not there to provide moral and ethical guidance nor life lessons but rather to provide a bit of entertainment and escapism from the drudgery of daily life. I really don’t care what North, GWS, Essendon, the AFL, banks, multi nationals etc think of Australia day. They are mostly full of virtue signalling s**t unfortunately.

It’s sad to see how it has turned into a bit of a trend.

Carlton obviously rushed theres so they could quickly make a statement and move on. But only doing it so people don’t judge them, absolute trend.

But I still couldn’t really care less if they did in fact post one. But all I care about is at least mean it lol.

Don’t just make a statement to fit in.

Like footy that brings people together ? Am I missing something, are people joining footy clubs for some ulterior motive?

You're missing that membership numbers are growing despite these social causes that are going to tear apart clubs because people don't want to listen to them.

I'm not sure you can have it both ways here.

But I still couldn’t really care less if they did in fact post one. But all I care about is at least mean it lol.

Don’t just make a statement to fit in.

We were one of the early releases by the looks and we short-stepped it because we knew we would get smashed on our social media pages for it.

I would have thought Brian Cook would have sent something better over to the media team quite frankly.

The idea that acknowledging genocide of first nations people is "political" is actually f’ed.

How we've still got adults in this country who either choose to ignore, debate or rage against acknowledging the fact that the governments of this nation have played an enormous part in marginalising an entire race of people, the oldest living culture in the world who were actually here to begin with, I just can't fathom.

There's not two sides to this.

A date has nothing to do with genocide, and eventually you have to move on from murders that happened hundreds of years ago. In fact it's literally impossible to find a date on the calendar that doesn't have an extremely horrific bloody history.

FYI, the vast majority of Aboriginal deaths were from diseases, this was not a war.

Ex post facto racial treaties increases racial tribalism and decreases individualism, both of which increases the likelihood of societal dysfunction on the basis of racial tensions/tribalism.
Conjecture.

An extreme example of such dysfunction being a riot.
You pointed out the riots in the US, not me. You also stated that the US treaties are not ex post facto, so kind of irrelevant to your point.
I stand by my assertion that if countries can function with treaties in place with their indigenous people, Australia can as well.

I'm saying that these treaties generate social dysfunction

I disagree, and in any case without knowing the details about any hypothetical treaty it's impossible to say that would be the case in Australia.

A date has nothing to do with genocide, and eventually you have to move on from murders that happened hundreds of years ago. In fact it's literally impossible to find a date on the calendar that doesn't have an extremely horrific bloody history.

FYI, the vast majority of Aboriginal deaths were from diseases, this was not a war.
How many Aboriginal people do you know personally? Because I can tell you, if you've heard the stories that I have from Koori friends and family about the atrocities that their parents, grand parents, great grandparents have shared through generations, that s**t doesn't wash away with "ah but there's not really a good day to move it to, and anyway, there was some diseases too". What a cop-out.

It wasn't a war, because it was colonisation and one side had all the power and strength.

Could be even simpler - change Jan 1 to Federation Day, Jan 26 to Reconcilliation Day. Job done. No change to the number of public holidays - keeps the public and corporate australia happy. We can get over this discussion once and for all, whatever its merits, and we can all get on with our lives.

Sounds a simple solution, but then the most obvious solution is found to be too hard.

Jan 1 = Fed Day

Jan 26 = Remember, but look forward Day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back