Player Watch #11: Luke "Two Dogs" McDonald - Roo til end '26

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought his turnovers at crucial times cost us the match TBH..
Finally got around to watching the replay and jumped on here to say pretty much this. I’m not going to throw it all at Luke but his disposal by foot was awful. As a leader, top 10 draft pick, 7 or 8 years in the system there should be no excuse for some of the howlers he commits. Turning over at crucial moments as he did completely sucks the wind out of a young club like ours. Does the guy even practice his skills?

I would never question his courage and he’s been one of our best this year (e.g. Hawthorn game) but we will continue to be a mediocre club when our leaders can’t hit a target from 30 metres under little pressure.

He didn't take his own set shot from 40m but harasses others to give him shots from outside 50m. Confusing. I've been told that he had more than 10 un-pressured turnovers? How can a senior player be capable of this?
The first few weeks of this season pretty much sums up Luke's career - has looked great at times and a real leader - however at other times he looks like a 5 gamer still finding his feet and making so many unforced errors it almost seems like he means to do it.

I still he think he is better back - as per the Hawthorn game.

I’ve admired his stronger marking of late. That’s been an improvement. No one can doubt his courage. But he seems to think he is an elite kick of the footy when in fact I would rather see him handball. His long kicking hurts us consistently and the next time I see someone hand off a set shot to him I’m writing a letter to Noble penned with a fountain pen using cursive script.

Was just doing running drills today and I’ve never seen a player (in my limited amount of times watching training) seen a player run as hard as Luke did today. Running laps at high intensity and then went on to do repeat sprints.

Was pretty impressive to see.

He has held his head high during this entire shit storm, very good footballer.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He has held his head high during this entire shit storm, very good footballer.
110%. Our only leader who has actually led consistently this year. He’s not a perfect footballer but at worst he’s a solid b grader capable of a grade games and he always has a crack, gets around the boys and doesn’t seem to sook: he goes again. Shinboner.

110%. Our only leader who has actually led consistently this year. He’s not a perfect footballer but at worst he’s a solid b grader capable of a grade games and he always has a crack, gets around the boys and doesn’t seem to sook: he goes again. Shinboner.
^ this. Better team mate and clubman than he is a footballer, if that makes sense, and not in a derogatory way; heartbeat of the side, and a testament to why the Father&Son rule has something to commend it

Are we all expecting Luke to be next captain? I wouldn’t be giving it to Jy. His form has dropped significantly due to this hanging over his head. Luke captain, Hornet to be his successor
Jy’s form has dropped but he still probably going to easily win our bnf for the second year running

I’d go co captain tbh then after a year reassess

Seeing him come as good as he has when I was seriously doubting his place in this club getting by on nepotism has been very good to watch.

He’s really come into his own as a player and the leadership and intensity he brings allows him to hold his head high on the senior group.
I really can't see what you are seeing. If he is going that good then let him play on the ball or wing. Maybe even return him to taking the kick ins. Apart from the odd intercept mark I think he is pretty much, hiding.

I really can't see what you are seeing. If he is going that good then let him play on the ball or wing. Maybe even return him to taking the kick ins. Apart from the odd intercept mark I think he is pretty much, hiding.

He used to be a lot worse than what you think he is now. He’s been better as a defender than taking kick-ins or wing. His biggest strength is standing marks in defence and moving off full-back to half-back to deliver to the centre ground.

Is it true that this bloke rates his own kicking highly?
It's probably his biggest weakness IMO, shanks it constantly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back