Training 2023 Pre Season

Remove this Banner Ad

If you truly believe in a curse, the only (somewhat) rational responses are to work towards ending the curse (find the antidote "spell) or do something else. Nothing at all rational about supporting a club known to be cursed. It also removes all responsibility from those whose job it is to make sure the club succeeds.
Look I'm no expert on curses but this StKilda curse seems legit IMO. An accursed curse even.
Somehow the club needs to improve it's joojoo or we'll be doomed to this forever.

Does anyone know if John Safran is busy?

He lifted the curse on the Socceroos back in the day. I do recall that it did involve the ritualistic sacrifice of a chicken which might not fly these days, but you can't argue with results.

If I hear one more time that all these injuries are because of our so called curse I will spew.

There has to be something to it. Players coming back from Long Term Injuries too quickly, pre-season too long, bad surfaces, road running, poor advice from sports scientists, too many physical contests.

I am also of the opinion that you can't train for a physical contact sport for 11 months of the year. You are just asking for injuries, every single contest (marking, tackling, blocking etc) is an opportunity for an injury to occur.
I'm saying this with a fair tinge of facetiousness, the Ross Lyon groupies are blaming Ratts...hang on...maybe it is a curse.

I'm saying that the idea that Lyon inherited an incredible list and he just had to get them all running in a line is a myth. Our top 6 was very good but still young. Rooey, Ball, Dal, Lenny were all in their prime. Joey and Kosi looked on their way and Fisher, Goddard, Gram etc were on the list but not yet at their peak. GT was about to trade Milne who played his best most consistent footy under Lyon. He topped up with role players like Farren Ray, Schnider, King and Dempster etc. We probably need to top the top end more but it's not that different from whet he took over last time.

King is looking top tier, the midfield off Steele, Crouch, Ross, Gresham, Windy, Jones, Bytel is decent. Hill, DMac, Wood, Byrnes, Billings as outside runners.

Defence probably does need another premium tall option.

I think we need Butler to get back to his best or replace him and a tall forward ruck like Stavro says....just not sure where you find those. There aren't many good ones that teams are happy to sell off.

Possibly chase a guy like Elliott Himmelberg...or try to grab the GWS one who s a free agent but less capable ruckman.
The problem is the midfield is only decent if windhanger and gresh we replace to many of those same players who have very limited ability to play elsewhere. I know it’s only one opinion but we were rated 16th in that area by one group. Even if that’s to low it seems any higher then 10 is probably biased. Lyon did recruit stars the first time even if there were weaknesses Unfortunately he hasn’t this time so it will be interesting how they go.

If I hear one more time that all these injuries are because of our so called curse I will spew.

There has to be something to it. Players coming back from Long Term Injuries too quickly, pre-season too long, bad surfaces, road running, poor advice from sports scientists, too many physical contests.

I am also of the opinion that you can't train for a physical contact sport for 11 months of the year. You are just asking for injuries, every single contest (marking, tackling, blocking etc) is an opportunity for an injury to occur.
They aren’t allowed to train for 11 months a year. They do their own work but it’s not over top training. Boxers train nearly all year. It’s certainly swings and roundabouts. Misson has an excellent record with us previously and also Melbourne. That suggests it’s just bad luck.

BTW: mainstream media consensus seems to be a 13-15 finish.
The media always rates us poorly. If we can break even in the first half of the season then I think we will outperform that expectation. But again it all relies on how well we can fill holes until our forwardline is back.

Truly think this will be a year of learning and exploration.
Learning a new game plan and method.
Exploring new players in new roles/multiple roles.
A forced hand perhaps with Ross coming in and our decimation with injuries.
I don't necessarily see this as a bad thing, but it has to happen - just means our ladder position at the end of the year may not be great.
I'm tipping us around that 11-15 mark.

Not to worry about the injuries and player management, remember we've got a genius head coach and excellent team around him in Goddard and co. Misson and the rest of them were with us when we were in Grand Finals, so you just know it's going to be good.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They aren’t allowed to train for 11 months a year. They do their own work but it’s not over top training. Boxers train nearly all year. It’s certainly swings and roundabouts. Misson has an excellent record with us previously and also Melbourne. That suggests it’s just bad luck.

To me it looks like players are coming back too early and too fast. Re-injuries after major long term injuries are happening too often. Sports/medical scientists should know which other areas are likely to suffer after coming back from a knee, shoulder, back or some other long term issue.

We have too many key players out, that's a fact. I don't think its bad luck.

Having said that, I still think we will do OK with our current cattle. But anymore injuries to key players and it could push us into the territory of not being able have an impact on games.

I'm not panicking just yet, just raising some issues.

The media always rates us poorly. If we can break even in the first half of the season then I think we will outperform that expectation. But again it all relies on how well we can fill holes until our forwardline is back.
I’d say with our early injuries then 13th seems fair. 15th is surely not happening.

To me it looks like players are coming back too early and too fast. Re-injuries after major long term injuries are happening too often. Sports/medical scientists should know which other areas are likely to suffer after coming back from a knee, shoulder, back or some other long term issue.

We have too many key players out, that's a fact. I don't think its bad luck.

Having said that, I still think we will do OK with our current cattle. But anymore injuries to key players and it could push us into the territory of not being able have an impact on games.

I'm not panicking just yet, just raising some issues.
It certainly is bad luck that key players are out. It could be the least likely to play but it’s really bad luck it’s key players. It is a fact it’s hey players but surely that’s just unlucky. I have no idea if they are coming back to early but I do know misson is very highly rated.

Truly think this will be a year of learning and exploration.
Learning a new game plan and method.
Exploring new players in new roles/multiple roles.
A forced hand perhaps with Ross coming in and our decimation with injuries.
I don't necessarily see this as a bad thing, but it has to happen - just means our ladder position at the end of the year may not be great.
I'm tipping us around that 11-15 mark.
I’m tipping minimum 8-10 list changes at seasons end!

Bytel Connolly Campbell Jones Allison Clark Highmore Peris Sharman NWM Gresham

Most of them from this list.

Replaced by ?????
We can get 1 good one, and a couple of good shots in the draft .
You going to replace the other 5 with VFL players?

Come on Mick, put a match under that statement and name names.

Perris
Highmore
NWM
Conolly

I came up with four names and would be happy to keep three of those.

Clark i assume stays under RTB. Bytel to make the most of his chances now or he will join the list.

Bytel Connolly Campbell Jones Allison Clark Highmore Peris Sharman NWM Gresham

Most of them from this list.

Yeah i could see Sharman crack it and look elsewhere. Gresham wants out? Allison contracted? Jones rated highly again (not by me) this preseason? Campbell backup ruck?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back