Training 2023 Pre Season

Remove this Banner Ad

You forgot to include my school mate Sam McGarry who we picked up at pick 80 in the 2009 rookie draft and never played a game. And I thought I could trust your opinions.

Was talking the 2007 list he had in his first season but Sammy can join the spud crew.

They are going to be an interesting team this year the dockers. But losing 4 players out of you best 22 since their last game is massive. I know they weren’t stars (except for Mundy) but they were all very experienced and were vital in Fremantles best 22.

It looks like they are happy to take Jackson and shed a few to set the premiership clock back slightly but improve the chance of winning one to me. I think they're a wait and see. Sydney and Collingwood as well. Could go either way.

Season 4 GIF by The Simpsons
Love the monkey's plaintive hand holding the cigarette hahahaha

That's the thing though we had a group of good kids in Dal, Ball, Rooey and Hayes was already a top player but the 2007 list had heaps of average, injured or old.

Harves, Thommo, GTrain, Hudgeton, Matthew Clarke were all over 30 and one their way out.

Voss, Fiora, Birss were all about to be delisted. Hamill was 29 and struggling to get on the park regularly.

Maguire, X Clark and Jarred Allen all injured and not part of the future.

Van Rheenen, Sweeney, Howard, Raymond, Watts, Ferguson, Leigh Fisher, Rix, Barry Brooks were all not making the grade.

I thought that we'd missed the boat when we lost to the Hawks. It looked like we'd struggle to put a capable best 22 around the quality kids.
So what are you saying? We shouldn’t have been all in or Lyon coached brilliantly to lead that group to two grand finals?

Tanking indiscriminately isn't the answer ... if we're crushed by injury, the most rational answer is to send the youngsters out with a remit to do everything they can to try and win, with a commitment that the coaching team will back them 100% if the effort is there, win, lose or draw.

If that approach equates to 18th place and Pick 1, so be it, but you don't just play dead and instil a weak mindset across the board ...

... at least I'll be able to hold my head up as a supporter and know that the team tried.
Playing young kids that don’t deserve a game is tanking. If we heading near 18th on the ladder there could be a riot.

Richmond are an interesting case, as I got dragged to many Tiger games a few years back with mates who follow them. In a lot of those games, when the game was close, Dusty seemed to have purple patch which lifted the whole team. I saw similar with Goodes at the Swans, and Fyfe at Freo, and games which were in doubt, resulted in a win. I wish we had that kind of player who can be swung around the ground and have an immediate effect on the outcome. We can live in hope I guess.
It's not the same thing but I reckon we would have got smashed by close to 20 goals a game in 2021 if not for Steele

Never heard that. It was the smaller bone. Is that the tibia?
Was a hairline fracture to the fibula- see below from doc Google

It is called a hairline fracture due to repetitive stress on the fibula bone. The fracture fragments are not separated completely. One can think of it as a crack in the bone. During long distance running, hiking and so forth, the bone reacts to the excessive stress on it, resulting in the hairline fracture

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Isn’t it usually a hammy that goes as that’s where the new tendon graft comes from?

Not sure a calf is related to his reco
Well he had done his hammy before Xmas remember.
Generally it’s pretty common to tear a calf after a hamstring injury, as once again the lower leg can start to over compensate.

Was a hairline fracture to the fibula- see below from doc Google

It is called a hairline fracture due to repetitive stress on the fibula bone. The fracture fragments are not separated completely. One can think of it as a crack in the bone. During long distance running, hiking and so forth, the bone reacts to the excessive stress on it, resulting in the hairline fracture
Well a guy at my footy club broke that bone in an incident on the ground. And billings also had an incident at the game. It’s a bone. It can break due to incidents. I’m not putting it down to training to hard. I saw the actual incident. Didn’t seem much at all but Fyffe played with that bone broken so it isn’t usually a big collision. And to be honest I guessed the smaller bone because 8 weeks seems short for the big bone but it could easily be that bone.

So what are you saying? We shouldn’t have been all in or Lyon coached brilliantly to lead that group to two grand finals?

I'm saying that the idea that Lyon inherited an incredible list and he just had to get them all running in a line is a myth. Our top 6 was very good but still young. Rooey, Ball, Dal, Lenny were all in their prime. Joey and Kosi looked on their way and Fisher, Goddard, Gram etc were on the list but not yet at their peak. GT was about to trade Milne who played his best most consistent footy under Lyon. He topped up with role players like Farren Ray, Schnider, King and Dempster etc. We probably need to top the top end more but it's not that different from whet he took over last time.

King is looking top tier, the midfield off Steele, Crouch, Ross, Gresham, Windy, Jones, Bytel is decent. Hill, DMac, Wood, Byrnes, Billings as outside runners.

Defence probably does need another premium tall option.

I think we need Butler to get back to his best or replace him and a tall forward ruck like Stavro says....just not sure where you find those. There aren't many good ones that teams are happy to sell off.

Possibly chase a guy like Elliott Himmelberg...or try to grab the GWS one who s a free agent but less capable ruckman.

Playing young kids that don’t deserve a game is tanking. If we heading near 18th on the ladder there could be a riot.
Or playing kids because you have run out of AFL capable players which is what happened to Ratts, hence why we saw Sharman playing in defence. Lyon is starting the year off much worse than Ratts with regards to player availability.

Last edited:
If I hear one more time that all these injuries are because of our so called curse I will spew.

There has to be something to it. Players coming back from Long Term Injuries too quickly, pre-season too long, bad surfaces, road running, poor advice from sports scientists, too many physical contests.

I am also of the opinion that you can't train for a physical contact sport for 11 months of the year. You are just asking for injuries, every single contest (marking, tackling, blocking etc) is an opportunity for an injury to occur.

You don't think it's the StKilda curse again?

If you truly believe in a curse, the only (somewhat) rational responses are to work towards ending the curse (find the antidote "spell) or do something else. Nothing at all rational about supporting a club known to be cursed. It also removes all responsibility from those whose job it is to make sure the club succeeds.

If you truly believe in a curse, the only (somewhat) rational responses are to work towards ending the curse (find the antidote "spell) or do something else. Nothing at all rational about supporting a club known to be cursed. It also removes all responsibility from those whose job it is to make sure the club succeeds.
A mate of mine always said we needed an exorcism.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back