Review Round 4, 2023 - Brisbane Lions vs. Collingwood

Who were your five best players against Collingwood?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Bugger it lets get down and boogie.
wow2022.gif

Might be going one out here but I reckon it wouldn't hurt to give Wilmot the week off. It's a long season & he's still young. No need to travel to SA
I've been a big proponent of rotating our list a little more. Normally this sort of away game against a poorer team is the opportunity to do so. But I'm not sure who would need a rest at the moment

Keep rayner up forward he can then play the gunston down back role if needed.

Keep playing hughy but he looks god awful at the moment. It’ll turn for him.

Thought prior was good.

It'll definitely turn for Hugh. Personally, I'd be playing him on the wing again and let him cut opposition up on the outside.

Still, while his disposal wasn't good today he applied a lot of pressure and did well in that area. His game wasn't far off.

Don’t frequent this forum as much as I have done for the last 15 years…but have to say; I jumped on here this past week amidst the absurd hatred we copped country-wide, particularly toward joe and Eric. Hearing morons like Matthew loyd and Kane Cornes have their say is to be expected of media flogs…but to hear the same rhetoric and even worse from our own supporters?!

I bet you w@%kers feel a bit silly now!

Always knew Daniher would bounce back - some of the way the media were carrying on was embarrassing.
Lots of our goals came from the goalsquare, not just better kicking but better opportunities. Well done midfield.

Lots of talk on SM about Joey refusing to talk to Channel 7

He's a bit angry. I thought he was far from our worst last week.

It's been a tough time for Joe and the boys now need to let him know how valued he is.

Not many players have his capacity when he's in the right frame of mind.
Joe has pretty much done zero media since he's been at the club I thought. Pretty clear he wants nothing to do with that side of things week in week out

Don’t frequent this forum as much as I have done for the last 15 years…but have to say; I jumped on here this past week amidst the absurd hatred we copped country-wide, particularly toward joe and Eric. Hearing morons like Matthew loyd and Kane Cornes have their say is to be expected of media flogs…but to hear the same rhetoric and even worse from our own supporters?!

I bet you w@%kers feel a bit silly now!
Always been lots of over reaction here same with the media.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not afraid of a bit of bodywork is young Will. One of the few shining moments last week was when he firmed a bump and just broke free from the contest. He's going to be a star!

Last week was forgettable, but the one thing worst remembering was Will attacking the ball, bouncing off the tackler and sending it inside 50. Voss like.

Have to love how Hipwood and Daniher responded to the pressure placed on them. Both of them attacked the ball hard and while they kicked multiple goals, they also set up multiple goals without getting clear disposals either.

Umpires were garbage.

Every time we're able to get Charlie deeper and one out out the back is a good outcome for us. Hipwood and Daniher particularly worked really hard up the ground and when we got the turnover or won the contest had so much space for whoever was there to work into.

We've got some great weapons in Cameron ,Bailey , Rayner and others who can be very damaging in an open forward line.

Very good win. Very happy with that one. Always good to get one over the brother in-law. Touched up the Pies in the ressies as well, great day all round.

Great response from the fwds, Hippy so much better, Joe up n down the ground, much more involved. Rayner was real good. I still think we're underestimating the work McCarthy is doing, playing much more of a defensive role by the looks. We talk about the need for some players to sacrifice their game for the betterment of the team, I think Linc is doing that. His efforts to get back and support in defense are huge.

Backs working very well too. Starce had a few clangers, as did McKenna. Kiddy would have got a lot of confidence out of tonight after his head knock. The two taller boys, Joyce n Payne is allowing Andrews more freedom than he's had in a few years, back to near his best. Wilmot quick becoming a favourite of mine.

Midfield good, Clugg starting to get into the season, could see he got more involved as the game went on. Ashcroft's disposal efficiency better tonight, 66% I think it was, he's better by hand than foot.

We kept a lot of Pies quiet tonight. Sidebottom, Crisp, Elliot, Hoskin-elliot, so kudos to those that played on them.

2 n 2, after 4 rounds with winnable games coming up. Keep consistent and we're on the up big time.

2-2 is a good outcome with the draw we have. Maybe just ruing the Port game, but perhaps it was a good wakeup. Now we need to grind out the next parcel of games and set ourselves up. Plenty of upside for this group.

Great to be at the game, even better to have visiting Collingwood supporters close by.

As I said in the Game day thread we just needed to work on our transitions and the midfield certainly lowered their eyes and looked for the forwards and kicked the ball into the spaces they needed. Still quite a few errors in a high intensity game. Joe, Cam, Charlie, Wilmont = we;; the whole team except - McCluggage and McCarthy they were atrocious again especially McCluggage whom seems to have lost all confidence now.

The REALLY bad - that umpiring was the worst I've seen in a long time and especially the last Qtr was ruined with poor decisions and the most laughable when Diacos tripped over his own feet and still was awarded a free kick. The crowd spent most of the last Qtr just booing the umpires.

Still, we are improving, not peaking too early. Collingwood can claim they are better with a ruckman and could have kicked straighter but it wasn't like they were missing them from 40 meters out dead in-front.

We roll on now - 3 qtrs agains Melbourne and 3 good qtrs against the Pies I like where we are at now.

Tonight was a great team effort .

But you knew Collingwood would be gassed after last week coming to the Gabba off a short break.
They have played 3 games straight at the MCG.
I think they can handle a 6 day break and finally a travel.

A few observations from the game:-

Rayner was sublime and I hope others have noticed that ability to pass accurately over distance off either foot.....some of those left footers were Aker-like.
Just HAS to play Forward/Occassional mid from now on.

Joe!!.....monumental !!!. Real commitment and hardness at the contest plus selfless team play....stuck it up the knockers. Looked better in the ruck than I thought was possible. Tied with Rayner for BOG IMO.

Will A. Easily our best and most creative mid. Some of his inside work, touch and vision are ridiculous for a four game 18 year old "baby". His only weakness is his propensity to dump kick when under pressure but I can live with that. When he gets more experience, size and maturity he will be near unstoppable.I am praying to the footy gods that his career is relatively injury free

Charlie was great of course but benefited from a number of "Joe the Goose" run in goals due to the work done further up the field. On that note, I thought Fagan comprehensively out coached McRae. Pies backs push up very high and got caught out a number of times when we were able to transition quickly from half back or from midfield turnovers.

I'm still scratching my head over Oscar's game. Did some nice work at times from the centre when he bashed it away from both sets of onballers but just couldn't seem to engineer much at all when he tried tapping. Coll mids seemed much more adept at clearing the dirty ground ball from the centre than our guys did so I'm not sure if that's a Ruck problem per se or if our mids just weren't working well with O on the night. Whatever the reason, losing the Centre Clearances 12-15 is a pretty disappointing result when we had a supposed huge advantage in the Ruck. He should absolutely quit that stupid look away hand pass over his head to ??????......that invariably leads to a turnover.

I honestly didn't think we had a weak link tonight, although I thought Andrews looked a lot less self assured under the high ball than last week against the Dogs when he marked everything. He got isolated once or twice, which probably wasn't his fault but I think the one in the first quarter which led diectly to a Pies goal could have been avoided if he had been a bit more savvy and just taken the tackle instead of trying to hand pass to no-one.

I liked Payne's game, especially in the first quarter when coll got on a roll. He showed great composure and maturity to get us out of a a few tight spots. Remember he is still only a 30 game player. Given a decent run with injury, I believe he has tremendous upside.

I'm happy with the team performance overall. Although the win was on paper on the back of a huge 2nd quarter, it was in fact, as good a 4 quarter performance as I can remember. We looked a bit defensive in the last quarter but to actually win it against the "you can't kill them " Pies was a really good effort.

Finally, the umpiring in the last quarter especially, got to the ridiculous point. Seemed like the umpires were fully on board with the "here come the Magpies" narrative.

Some of the decisions in that last quarter bordered on bizarre.

Lots of talk on SM about Joey refusing to talk to Channel 7

He's a bit angry. I thought he was far from our worst last week.

It's been a tough time for Joe and the boys now need to let him know how valued he is.

Not many players have his capacity when he's in the right frame of mind.
I think a lot of the time people forget at the end of the day footy is just a game. And when Joeys on song he tends to be pretty darn good at said game. He’s just a man trying to enjoy himself and a lot of people forget that and it’s half the reason he made the move north. For what it’s worth I don’t blame him considering how parasitic the media can be.

Back