Toast Round 6 = Collingwood 90-77 Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

CFC is proving that big money is not the be all and end all. Many post of this war chest we are building. I really hope we don't throw it away on a big money recruit. I hope we get it to retain and reward our premiership players from 2023.
That, as well as addressing multiple needs across the squad as and when they arise, rather than concentrating our strengths all in one area a la Carlton.

That, as well as addressing multiple needs across the squad as and when they arise, rather than concentrating our strengths all in one area a la Carlton.
We threw too much at the 2010 side, when it was done by 2012. We repeated the mistake with the 2018 side. I suspect Eddie was partly to blame, sentimentality rathe than focusing on continued building towards an era.

A big shout-out to Ash Johnson.

AJ copped a lot of bagging from some in here for the way he ended 2022 and for his pre-season.

Since regaining his spot, AJ has done everything right. He has willingly worked hard in the ruck and when up forward has taking some terrific marks and kicked several sublime and important goals, as well as combining well with the teammates around him.

AJ is a terrific addition to our club and I hope he continues to make past critics look a bit silly.

Well done, Ash!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Yeah, good call. That second goal really got us going.
I reckon he played the finals series a bit stiff & sore; maybe not as bad as Brodie Mihocek, but what looked like hesitancy may have actually been limited mobility, I reckon.

We threw too much at the 2010 side, when it was done by 2012. We repeated the mistake with the 2018 side. I suspect Eddie was partly to blame, sentimentality rathe than focusing on continued building towards an era.
Footy was also played differently around 2010, thanks in no small part to Malthouse and his revolutionary interchange tactic that allowed us to build a superior midfield capable of overrunning teams through its sheer depth.

The 2018 era (with the 2018 season aside) was a combination of poor drafting / injuries, a flawed gameplan that was still stuck in the mid to late 2000s and the administration looking for a messiah (such as Beams).

We also shouldn't dismiss the possibility that while Fly's gameplan appears to be cutting edge right now, another club or coach may come up with a more effective style, and that this further emphasises the need to maintain a balance throughout the playing list.

I would love to know exactly what the coaches directions are for these last quarter come backs. Clearly it’s a pattern and not a coincidence and as much as it has an impact it’s also not just ‘belief’ as Fly cleverly tries to disguise it in his public speaking.

It also very often involves the same players. N Daicos, McReery and Crisp in particular who always lift in last quarters and get more of the ball. I get the sense that Crisp and Mcreery are told to go hunting the ball and add numbers to stoppages all around the ground and we try hard to force F50 stoppages so pump the ball there at all costs even if it’s not a clean kick. We also all seem to play a fair bit higher on the ground hence why you could see the likes of Ruscoe hitting it I50 all of a sudden.

Glad Beau is getting recognition for that last quarter but Crisp deserves some as well especially considering his start to the season has been poor by his standards. He had all the little efforts that made the difference to our clearance work and goals.

Also while N Daicos deserved the medal for his last quarter effort I think Jordy kept us in and was our best til then and in absolutely everything.

Agree re Jordy. He kicks his 3rd in the 3rd quarter and he likely wins the medal.

Footy was also played differently around 2010, thanks in no small part to Malthouse and his revolutionary interchange tactic that allowed us to build a superior midfield capable of overrunning teams through its sheer depth.

The 2018 era (with the 2018 season aside) was a combination of poor drafting / injuries, a flawed gameplan that was still stuck in the mid to late 2000s and the administration looking for a messiah (such as Beams).

We also shouldn't dismiss the possibility that while Fly's gameplan appears to be cutting edge right now, another club or coach may come up with a more effective style, and that this further emphasises the need to maintain a balance throughout the playing list.
Agreed but the issue I am getting at is the reality we had TPP issues for a lot of this period. I am not knowledgeable in this area but got the impression when we did have a few dollars to spend we went after a cooked nth champion, a WA reject and some small change. If we want to build an era, which is my desire after another gf, then I think we need to sit tight on TPP. Build credit, don't sell the house, stick with youth and win a gf. Then use the credit and house and build an era.

Crazy to think 4 out of our 6 forwards yest are under 50 games. (Ginni - 30), (Hill - 47), Beau (41), Johnson (13) add in Kreuger (8) making that 5 forwards, and four of them are 23 or younger.

We go pretty well for a young forward line.

Imagine how awesome they’ll be when they’ve all played as many games as Callum Brown.

Who would of thought the 3 players involved on the wing in the last quarter of Anzac Day to get the ball to Ginny for a crucial goal would be Markov, Will Kelly and Trey Ruscoe? :tearsofjoy:
The last quarter really was a great team effort. Everybody contributed. The confidence of the 3 you mentioned increased considerably as the quarter progressed.

On SM-N975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Stats on this site have his weight at 60kg which makes him 10kg lighter than me as well as the scrawniest player in the squad. It's obviously a dreadful error, but stats are stats. :rolleyes: Collingwood Playing List for 2023 - Draftguru
I think the Drafguru site does not update weights or heights. I have noticed that they put the measurement when the player gets drafted, an never changes. Compare with the CFC site, or the AFL site. They are updated more regularly.. (once every 3 years😜)

The last quarter really was a great team effort. Everybody contributed. The confidence of the 3 you mentioned increased considerably as the quarter progressed.

Absolutely. Haven't really watched much VFL but from all reports Kelly was nowhere near AFL ready. He didn't put a foot wrong in my eyes yesterday and Trey and Markov were brilliant in the last quarter after some jittery moments early. The silver lining from our injuries is having guys like this get enormous confidence from yesterday and know we can call on them when required. :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agreed but the issue I am getting at is the reality we had TPP issues for a lot of this period. I am not knowledgeable in this area but got the impression when we did have a few dollars to spend we went after a cooked nth champion, a WA reject and some small change. If we want to build an era, which is my desire after another gf, then I think we need to sit tight on TPP. Build credit, don't sell the house, stick with youth and win a gf. Then use the credit and house and build an era.
I wasn't opposed to acquiring Wells, although it was clearly a risk given his injury history. Sadly every time it looked as though he would string some games together he got injured, including a broken ankle/leg against North at the G in a freak accident.

Mayne's contract was ridiculous, as was the acquisition of Jesse White.

I don't see us chasing big names under Wright / McRae in the hope that they'll transform us or be the missing piece of the puzzle, as the coaching philosophy is very different. In saying this, if a genuinely elite player became available (i.e. players like Bontempelli, Jeremy Cameron) I'd expect the club to move heaven and earth to try and land them.

Absolutely. Haven't really watched much VFL but from all reports Kelly was nowhere near AFL ready. He didn't put a foot wrong in my eyes yesterday and Trey and Markov were brilliant in the last quarter after some jittery moments early. The silver lining from our injuries is having guys like this get enormous confidence from yesterday and know we can call on them when required. :thumbsu:
Think about how intimidating it must be to be selected for the biggest home and away game on the calendar.
Small wonder that it takes some players a while to settle in.
All 3 of those guys stood up when it counted, which is a great thing going forward.

A big shout-out to Ash Johnson.

AJ copped a lot of bagging from some in here for the way he ended 2022 and for his pre-season.

Since regaining his spot, AJ has done everything right. He has willingly worked hard in the ruck and when up forward has taken some terrific marks and kicked several sublime and important goals, as well as combining well with the teammates around him.

AJ is a terrific addition to our club and I hope he continues to make past critics look a bit silly.

Well done, Ash!

I agree with what you stated. He has done well over the past weeks however you are wrong claiming that his current good form makes those who criticised look silly. He was poor in the finals and he had a poor pre-season. Nothing changes that

Crazy to think 4 out of our 6 forwards yest are under 50 games. (Ginni - 30), (Hill - 47), Beau (41), Johnson (13) add in Kreuger (8) making that 5 forwards, and four of them are 23 or younger.

We go pretty well for a young forward line.
Looking forward to when Cox/Cameron and/ or McStay are back and Johnson does not have to play ruck. Believe that us when the real fireworks will start

I think the Drafguru site does not update weights or heights. I have noticed that they put the measurement when the player gets drafted, an never changes. Compare with the CFC site, or the AFL site. They are updated more regularly.. (once every 3 years😜)
That may be so, but going from 60kg to 86kg is pretty impressive. Just watched the replay and he is a lot less scrawny than I recalled. My eyes are alright - my memory or observation skills are perhaps the problem.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back