Review Dogs down Blues 79-59

Remove this Banner Ad

Saw enough athletic tools and lack of panic in traffic for O'Donnell's to understand why he got a game. It's sort of a this bloke has the minimum athletic tools to be a player, work out the rest later. A bit like how we rushed Gardner into the team as a game or two after we mid season draftee him as a ruck/forward. Could be like Cox at Essendon as a tall wingman.

Bailey smith's best game in a year. Arty Jones was immense all night

English took the chocolates in the ruck contest
Just Watching had a giggle at this.

We won the clearances, English was better in general play, and the advanced stats support it.

He’s had better games this year but the only support of Pittonet getting the chocolates would be the very shallow “hit out” stat

Arthur Jones, Weightman and Bailey Smith huge in the last quarter, great to see from young players.

LIBBA - unbelievable last quarter, looked absolutely stuffed and kicked a crucial long goal off one step

Its staggering how well looked after Curnow and McKay are by the umpires.

It speaks volumes about the job that our KPB did as they rotated through them.

Jones, Keath and Gardner probably won't rate too many mentions in post game analysis of the game, but I thought they were all pretty good.

Putting aside the god awful kicking clanger that the latter two had that resulted in Carlton goals. But Im in a forgiving mood tonight.
At half time it was 4 to 11 frees, and Blues fans were still screaming blue murder.
In fairness, Jones pushed Curnow up to the limit and Charlie is a brilliant player who never complains.

It was having a tall in front of Charlie all night that made the bigger difference though. Owies aside, their smalls are crap and Harry makes Travis Cloke look like Tory Dickson.

For mine the decisive factor in the last 20 minutes was English finally working out (or was instructed) that he needed to jump over Pittonet at the centre bounces.

For most of the game Pittonet was positioning himself and using his bulk at the drop of the ball at centre bounces all around the ground ball ups.

He would then just drop the ball at his feet giving the Carlton mids first use of the ball and thus the lopsided contested ball advantage they had for most of the night.

Once this adjustment was made the game swung back onto our terms.
I was watching this game with family and that’s EXACTLY what they were saying. It was annoying us to no end all night!

Don't know the planning into the game.
But for me JOD looks a player.
Competed well and reminded me a bit of Arty's first games.Mabye he is not ready.
Perhaps they will persevere.
Any way a good selection by recruiters.
And Weightman in the guts works for short bursts.
The 3 tall forwards and flea really need better forward coaching.They keep spoiling each other and getting in each other's way.And never a player goal side of packs needs to be addressed.
Good win Doggies.And up yours Jack and your tragic football team

Arthur Jones, Weightman and Bailey Smith huge in the last quarter, great to see from young players.

LIBBA - unbelievable last quarter, looked absolutely stuffed and kicked a crucial long goal off one step
Libba is amazing at kicking goals while being tackled. He snaps that leg through at the speed of light

Ed was great. Best game by Smith all season and he was good by foot. Arty is getting better each game. sometimes he second guesses but has so much upside. Will be a very good player.

still cannot figure out if we r a challenger or not. Hopefully we are slowly building. Still,think we are a long way off our best. JUH is so close to being a game breaker. could easily be our best forward next year.

Thank god for traffic on the Monash in late 2017.
Carlton interviewed Ed but he was late to the meeting and they passed over him for O'Brien.

Idiots like me questioned why we targeted a KPD in Naughton (with a dodgy field kick) when we had the likes of Talia and Hamling on our list

Both had gone before then but we did have Dad Collins who I was expecting to be FB for the next decade.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Happy with our defense tonight. Carlton was supposed to tear us apart in the air and yet their key forwards were almost ineffective. We kept Carlton to 8 goals and under 60 points. Keith is a worry though. A big worry.

Artie is a pup but really ran the game out well. Very pleasing because he does a lot of unrewarded running that doesn't show up on the stats sheet.

Less down than I was about an ugly win last week because I feel nothing for GWS, while this was against a bunch of tanking, cheating, heartless, spineless campaigners who've been talking themselves up for my entire 2.5 decades of conscious thought without a thing but 4 wooden spoons to show for it. Keep celebrating your #1 draft picks and visy recruits you ******* maggots and may you rot in 9th place from now to eternity.
You are so eloquent....:) Summed up so beautifully...

Both had gone before then but we did have Dad Collins who I was expecting to be FB for the next decade.
Adams I was pretty confident in. We still had Zaine in the early part of his career too

Macrae had 0 CBAs until we lost the lead, he then finally got a chance and he immediately won the clearance that lead to Arty’s goal.

I get that he’s playing injured and in a different role but Macrae needs to attend more than 2 CBAs in a match for a player of his quality and strength, especially after an opposition run of goals.

And I thought it was me because I deliberately changed my tip in my work tipping contest an hour before the start of the game to Carlton and we all know what happens when you change your tips at the last minute 😝

After tipping the dogs in the first 2 weeks, I haven't tipped them since!

At half time it was 4 to 11 frees, and Blues fans were still screaming blue murder.
In fairness, Jones pushed Curnow up to the limit and Charlie is a brilliant player who never complains.

It was having a tall in front of Charlie all night that made the bigger difference though. Owies aside, their smalls are crap and Harry makes Travis Cloke look like Tory Dickson.
Dont get me wrong. Im not saying that Curnows success is built upon umpiring largess. He's an absolute freak.

What I am saying is that the umpires have bought into that narrative wholeheartedly.

He seems to get his fair share of what many would consider soft frees especially in marking contests.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back