Review Dogs down Blues 79-59

Remove this Banner Ad

Caleb Daniel was very good. Matched up on Crippa at stoppages for a bit. I lol'd but he did well.

Loving Arty more each game.

By the end of the season I'm hoping they're gonna stop kicking to our 3 tall fwds in a pack, or they lead in different directions. When that isn't happening, Marra and Naughts are showing some arse kicking synergy and really setting up each other up on the lead. Has happened a few times over a few games now.

Someone is going to be on the end of a belting.....soonish.

I don't say this lightly, but the thing that will stop us from winning the flag is not being able to stop the opposition's momentum. It's an issue and if we get that right, we're half way there to the flag.

There are many examples I can give, but I'll give two fairly recent examples.

2021 GF: We're good enough to be 19 pts up during the third qtr. Melbourne get a run on, we can't stop it, and they flog us. Dees win the flag.
2022 v Geelong: We get off to a flier. Good enough to be in total control. Cats get a run on, we can't stop it, and they beat us convincingly. Cats win the flag.

If we're good enough to be in winning positions against the premiers, we're good enough to win the flag IF we learn to stop an opposition run on. This is the single thing stopping us from winning the flag, like honestly. I know it's easier said than done, but we have four months to get this right.

We can't allow Geelong/Melbourne/Collingwood/Brisbane/Port/St K to get a run on like Carlton did last night and GWS did last week. Good teams will eat us up.

Sure, we can maybe get away with it against everyone else, but all we'll be doing is making up the numbers if we don't fix this big issue.

To be honest, a lot of the responsibility falls on English at the ruck contest. He needs to be able to win a decisive hitout when we need it. It's also our lack of ability to intercept mark. If we had Easton Wood in his prime out there, I don't think we'd have too many issues stopping momentum. Maybe send Bont to defence in those times, or is that insane?

Last edited:
His spoiling and positioning still seems ok nut I get he does make some errors
Who doesn’t? JJ was best player in the GF but a lot of his kicks went to opponents. Mistakes in the backline are magnified

halfway through that last quarter, before Libba kicked a steadier you could see the writing on the wall. Then Arty kicks another to put them in front and within a few minutes Bazlenka kicked another. They weren't losing from there but geez there were a lot of players down on form tonight. They should have gone on to win by 50+ points

I agree with the substance of your post, but I find it odd you refer to your team as them or they. I mean I know you are not a part of the team (I.e you are not playing on the ground), so your grammar is technically correct, but I’ve thought of it as “us” and “we”. I’ve always seen myself as one with the team.

Are you seriously going there? He nearly cost us the game by playing a backman in the forward line on debut then leaving Keith on Curnow late in the game. Wake up

Curnow kicked one goal on Keath from a rushed kick forward. Carlton didn't win and Curnow was ineffective, playing against KeAth. Stick to what actually happened, instead of imagining what may have happened and you will make a lot more sense.

Last edited:
To be honest, a lot of the responsibility falls on English at the ruck contest. He newds to be able to win a decisive hitout when we need it. It's also our lack of ability to intercept mark. If we had Easton Wood in his prime out there, I don't think we'd have too many issues stopping momentum. Maybe send Bont to defence in those times, or is that insane?
I actually thought the Jones and OBrien combo was looking promising on the intercept scale but we will see how it pans out with one of them not playing

Libba was brilliant. That goal while being tackled will stick in my mind for a long time.

Really wrapped with Baz's game. He is a running beast. Used the ball a lot better.

I thought our defense was really solid. I'm not sure why it gets a bad wrap.

Our forward line set-up and delivery into the forward line is the key area that needs to improve.

Finally, surprised to see Blues supports leave the ground in droves while still only a goal or two down with time to spare. Had to laugh at a comment on Reddit: "Yet another fire drill during the last quarter at a Carlton home game"

How goods Liam Jones.

Jones appreciation post.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can be as cynical as the next person, but if you're 6-3 and still playing in second gear, you're going OK. Plenty to do, but much rather be 6-3 than 3-6 and season over.
Fake news. You quoted me as saying something that I didn't say!

For mine Lobb absolutely franked the reason for his recruitment. 2 Goals and more importantly the competent ruck minutes that allowed Timmy to not be gassed in the last quarter.
Timmy stood up in the last 7 minutes and jumped over Pittonet to serve it up on a platter to take the game away from the Blues. He was massive when we desperately needed a kick start when we looked like being over 🏃‍♂️

Kicking straight makes all the difference 👌

Really only needa a couple of shots a game

Curnow kicked one goal on Keath from a rushed kick forward. Carlton didn't win and Curnow was ineffective, playing against KeAth. Stick to what actually happened, instead of imagining what may have happened and you will make a lot more sense.
Have you been watching Keith since round 1 last year? He’s fallen off a cliff and should be replaced with Darcy or Buku, even Cleary

As always…

Expected Score / Actual Score

WB: 70 / 79
CA: 64 / 59

Expected Margin / Actual Margin: +6 / +20

Centre Bounce Attendance
22 - Bontempelli
20 - English. B. Smith
15 - Liberatore
10 - Daniel
3 - Lobb
2 - Macrae

Ruck Contests (Hitouts / To Advantage / Sharked)
85 - English (30 / 6 / 12)
19 - Lobb (7 / 1 / 0)
1 - Naughton (1 / 0 / 0)

Hitouts To Advantage
WB: 7
CA: 19

English v Pittonet (71 contests)
Hitouts: 22 / 43
To Advantage: 5 / 17
Clearances: 29 / 24
Score: 3.2 (20) / 1.4 (10)

English v Silvagni (13 contests)
Hitouts: 8 / 3
To Advantage: 1 / 1
Clearances: 6 / 3
Score: 0.0 (0) / 0.0 (0)

Lobb v Pittonet (11 contests)
Hitouts: 2 / 5
To Advantage: 0 / 1
Clearances: 5 / 5
Score: 0.1 (1) / 1.1 (7)

Lobb v Silvagni (8 contests)
Hitouts: 5 / 2
To Advantage: 1 / 0
Clearances: 4 / 2
Score: 2.0 (12) / 0.0 (0)

First Possessions
WB: 34

CA: 53

Clearances / Effective Clearances
WB: 44 / 34
CA: 36 / 30

Tackle Efficiency
WB: 61%
CA: 59%

Smothers

CA: 4

Forward Half Kicking Efficiency
WB: 58%
CA: 47%

Defensive Half Kicking Efficiency
WB: 77%
CA: 67%

Forward Half Contested Marks
WB: 6
CA: 4

Defensive Half Contested Marks
WB: 3
CA: 5

Score Launches
4 - Johannisen
3 - English, Liberatore, Richards
2 - Bontempelli, Daniel, Lobb, B. Smith
1 - Duryea, Gardner

Targets Inside 50

17 - No target/rushed
8 - Naughton
6 - Ugle-Hagen
4 - Scott
3 - Williams
2 - A. Jones, O’Donnell

Shots At Goal
WB: 21 (52%)
CA: 21 (38%)

Scoring Profile (Western Bulldogs / Carlton)
Set Shot: 6.5 / 6.6
Snap: 3.4 / 2.2
On Run: 2.1 / 0.1
Mark Play On: 0.0 / 0.0
Ground Kick: 0.0 / 0.0

0M-15M: 1.1 / 0.0
15M-30M: 2.5 / 1.2
31M-40M: 2.3 / 2.3
41M-50M: 3.1 / 4.1
51M+: 3.0 / 1.3

Scores Directly From FK/50MP: 0.0 / 0.1
Scores In Time-On: 6.5 / 2.4
Scores Sourced From D50: 1.2 / 1.2

Score Assists
3 - Naughton
2 - A. Jones, Ugle-Hagen, Williams
1 - Baker, Dale, Keath, Liberatore, O’Donnell

Defensive 50 Marks
WB: 31
CA: 20

Defensive 50 Intercept Marks

CA: 5

Defensive Half Turnovers
WB: 17
CA: 20

Forward Half Turnovers
WB: 50

CA: 42

Unforced Turnovers
WB: 8
CA: 10

Unforced Turnovers By Player
2 - Williams
1 - Gardner, Johannisen, Liberatore, Richards, B. Smith, Ugle-Hagen

Dropped Marks (Uncontested Only)
WB: 3
CA: 0

Turnovers Punished By Goals
1 - Baker, Dale, Johannisen, L. Jones, Liberatore, B. Smith

Champion Data Ranking Points (Supercoach)
141 - Liberatore
113 - Richards
112 - Bontemelli
102 - B. Smith
98 - Johannisen
92 - A. Jones
90 - Williams
89 - English
87 - Dale
86 - Daniel
81 - Macrae
79 - Naughton
67 - L. Jones
63 - Weightman
58 - Baker
57 - Scott
55 - Duryea
54 - Lobb
54 - Ugle-Hagen
50 - Keath
24 - Gardner
23 - O’Donnell
8 - McNeil

AFL Player Rating Points
21.2 - Liberatore
19.2 - Johannisen
18.1 - Richards
16.6 - B. Smith
14.2 - Bontempelli
13.8 - Naughton
11.5 - A. Jones
10.3 - Scott
9.9 - Macrae
9.8 - Dale
9.3 - Daniel
8.9 - Williams
8.9 - Lobb
7.9 - English
7.8 - Weightman
7.7 - L. Jones
5.6 - Baker
3.8 - Ugle-Hagen
3.4 - Duryea
3.1 - Gardner
2.8 - Keath
2.3 - O’Donnell
0.6 - McNeil

Time In Forward Half
Q1

WB: 45%
CA: 55%

Q2
WB: 46%
CA: 54%

Q3
WB: 56%
CA: 44%

Q4
WB: 56%
CA: 44%

Match
WB: 51%
CA: 49%

Pressure Gauge
Q1

WB: 165 (Poor)
CA: 147 (Poor)

Q2
WB: 170 (Below Average)
CA: 182 (Average)

Q3
WB: 181 (Average)
CA: 185 (Average)

Q4
WB: 219 (Elite)
CA: 170 (Below Average)

Match
WB: 185 (Average)
CA: 172 (Below Average)

Pressure Points Per Player
87 - Liberatore
71 - Bontempelli
53 - A. Jones
52 - Daniel
51 - English
44 - Weightman
42 - Macrae
36 - Williams
32 - Naughton
29 - Baker
28 - Dale
25 - Lobb
24 - Scott
23 - B. Smith
18 - Richards
14 - Keath
13 - Duryea
10 - McNeil
8 - L. Jones
7 - Ugle-Hagen
6 - O’Donnell
5 - Johannisen
2 - Gardner

Free Kick Summary
View attachment 1687061

Score Sources
Scores From Stoppages: 5.3 / 2.6
Scores From Turnovers: 6.9 / 6.4
Scores From Kick-Ins: 0.1 / 0.1
English 5 HOs to advantage for 3 goals 2, Pittonet 17 for 1 goal 4.
dont know what to make of that
English clearly mauled in the tap outs, that was obvious to the eye. but the few he did get were influential. were we just lucky Carlton fluffed their first possession or couldnt chain out, or was it our pressure?

Caleb Daniel was very good. Matched up on Crippa at stoppages for a bit. I lol'd but he did well.

Loving Arty more each game.

By the end of the season I'm hoping they're gonna stop kicking to our 3 tall fwds in a pack, or they lead in different directions. When that isn't happening, Marra and Naughts are showing some arse kicking synergy and really setting up each other up on the lead. Has happened a few times over a few games now.

Someone is going to be on the end of a belting.....soonish.
Yeah I think there are signs of better system. - bit of a way to go though

Carlton's midfield certainly isn't terrifying they were well on top for majority of the game but didn't really hurt us.

They are a very good contested midfield, but so they should be.

Given up multiple picks to get in mature bodies in expectation of immediate success.

Not sure they have many young players coming through though.

For mine Lobb absolutely franked the reason for his recruitment. 2 Goals and more importantly the competent ruck minutes that allowed Timmy to not be gassed in the last quarter.
Timmy stood up in the last 7 minutes and jumped over Pittonet to serve it up on a platter to take the game away from the Blues. He was massive when we desperately needed a kick start when we looked like being over 🏃‍♂️
He absolutely spanked them both too. I would love to see him leading up outside 50 more often. He can kick 60m+ with no effort.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back