Preview 2023 Rd 12 Carlton vs Melbourne Friday June 2 7:50PM @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Team is in …

IN: Alex Cincotta, Zac Fisher, Lochie O'Brien, Jack Silvagni, Lewis Young
OUT: Corey Durdin (knee), George Hewett (concussion), Ollie Hollands (collarbone), Nic Newman (hamstring), Marc Pittonet (hand), Ed Curnow

Backs:Alex CincottaJacob WeiteringBrodie Kemp
Half-backs:Lewis YoungMitch McGovernAdam Saad
Centreline:Blake AcresPatrick CrippsSam Walsh
Half-forwards:Jesse MotlopCharlie CurnowJack Silvagni
Forwards:Zac FisherHarry McKayMatthew Owies
Followers:Tom De KoningMatthew KennedyAdam Cerra
Interchange:Jordan BoydMatthew CottrellSam Docherty
Lochie O'Brien
Emergencies:Ed CurnowPaddy DowLachie Fogarty
Lachie Plowman

For those that look at Dow's history of playing ones he is listed as playing 4 games last year. In fact, 3 of those games he was sub. It's hard to do too much when you are sub. So under Voss he has played 1 senior game. That is all.

Our ones are playing garbage football. We are too predictable and too slow in the midfield. Dow is tearing it up in the twos and needs to be given a chance to refresh our midfield. It is disappointing that he is not selected. Who will run off Cripps this week?

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

I actually wanted Dow to play but I don’t get this talk about selection integrity. Playing Dow, Cripps and Kennedy in the same midfield would just be repeating the mistakes we have been making all season with team balance.
The talk about playing Walsh on a wing does my head in, we need two way running mids, we have one and apparently some want to push him out to make way for someone who that has been a weakness with.

I actually wanted Dow to play but I don’t get this talk about selection integrity. Playing Dow, Cripps and Kennedy in the same midfield would just be repeating the mistakes we have been making all season with team balance.
The talk about playing Walsh on a wing does my head in, we need two way running mids, we have one and apparently some want to push him out to make way for someone who that has been a weakness with.
Walsh is a better two way runner but dow is better at hunting the ball and in congestion...weaving his way through traffic, has a sidestep and quicker by hand.

Walsh can get tackled a bit too easily, maybe lacking a bit of strength. And if/when he runs out he bombs it long anyway so he doesn't provide that much impact for us in attack.

Dunno if those numbers scream superstar
Who said they did?
The issue is rewarding effort and growth through performance. Move forward, have growth mindset, develop your people.

It doesn’t write you an indefinite free pass but it should get you a ticket to the rodeo, especially if your midfield has been poor and at times injured and/or playing hurt or out of position. Cerra spent all of his time at half back against the saints. It really grinds my gears.

It’s not just about Dow it’s anyone in his situation. He is just the OBVIOUS example.

Furthermore, go through blokes who are oddly good enough in year one then drop away in years 2,3,4 and then either get delisted or traded. And what’s worse go on to be BETTER at other clubs! It’s a disgusting indictment in our development, coaches and culture.

We just have to get better and I just see us going backwards.

When the ball is knocked loose, having a burst player like Dow who can get to it first could also help us from getting destroyed by quicker players out of the middle. He doesn't necessarily have to tackle if he gets the ball.

See how Sydney peeled off Cripps last week which led to clean ball out of the centre? Having speed in there helps with that.

Not saying it fixes it completely - but it's better than having 3 plodders.

Dow is a more dynamic midfielder than Hewett and that has been persisted with for 10 weeks. Need to reward good form.

When the ball is knocked loose, having a burst player like Dow who can get to it first could also help us from getting destroyed by quicker players out of the middle. He doesn't necessarily have to tackle if he gets the ball.

See how Sydney peeled off Cripps last week which led to clean ball out of the centre? Having speed in there helps with that.

Not saying it fixes it completely - but it's better than having 3 plodders.
Walsh is a better two way runner but dow is better at hunting the ball and in congestion...weaving his way through traffic, has a sidestep and quicker by hand.

Walsh can get tackled a bit too easily, maybe lacking a bit of strength. And if/when he runs out he bombs it long anyway so he doesn't provide that much impact for us in attack.
Then drop Kennedy.
Or if that’s too hard of a call make Kennedy play forward (which he imo is too slow to do full time) and drop JSOS and let Young and Harry chop out in the ruck. Either way playing Cripps, Dow and Kennedy in the same midfield group doesn’t improve the side at all imo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There’s just no way we can put Jack in the middle against big Max & Grundy after the mauling he copped against the pies.

Get ready H, time to step up.
Agree with first part, but it's Young for me to backup ruck first. Maybe H rucks in fwd 50, but I'd rather not risk H in ruck at this stage... just my opinion...

Agree with first part, but it's Young for me to backup ruck first. Maybe H rucks in fwd 50, but I'd rather not risk H in ruck at this stage... just my opinion...

The smart trick Goodwin has done with his rucks is he plays them around the ground as old school followers & they are always in play.

Very hard to match up on.

Who said they did?
The issue is rewarding effort and growth through performance. Move forward, have growth mindset, develop your people.

It doesn’t write you an indefinite free pass but it should get you a ticket to the rodeo, especially if your midfield has been poor and at times injured and/or playing hurt or out of position. Cerra spent all of his time at half back against the saints. It really grinds my gears.

It’s not just about Dow it’s anyone in his situation. He is just the OBVIOUS example.

Furthermore, go through blokes who are oddly good enough in year one then drop away in years 2,3,4 and then either get delisted or traded. And what’s worse go on to be BETTER at other clubs! It’s a disgusting indictment in our development, coaches and culture.

We just have to get better and I just see us going backwards.
Never said we had amazing development (although seems to have improved ie: drafting youngsters & actually playing them in their actual position). Nor do I necessarily think we did/didn't do Dow dirty with his development as I'm not privy to the inner workings of the club.
Was responding to a comment.
Dow for his position (ie: Per Voss & others at the club's next man up mantra) is behind others. Simple. Noted he can't play a secondary position. We're (as you said above) already playing mids out of position why add another that can't play a secondary position? If Cezz got done at the tribunal, Dow plays. If Kennedy/Cripps wasn't playing, Dow plays. Sucks for the young bloke but it's the reality in our midfield at the moment. They're never gonna drop the Captain regardless of form & he's behind Kennedy/Hewett & Cezz. (all without even mentioning Walsh having to play HHF/Mid/Wing mix). Personally I wouldn't have even brought LOB in this week & pushed Walshy to the wing swapping in/out with Cezz but hey.. that's me.

Then drop Kennedy.
Or if that’s too hard of a call make Kennedy play forward (which he imo is too slow to do full time) and drop JSOS and let Young and Harry chop out in the ruck. Either way playing Cripps, Dow and Kennedy in the same midfield group doesn’t improve the side at all imo.
u can just play 2 of them at all times. one resting fwd or bench

My view is (and has been since last year) no coach can make up for this type of stuff - no coach or game plan or ABCD derivation of swapping magnets this is ALL on the players on field peformance...

enjoy the watching...

I'm not even angry at the Dow situation, I'm just so sad for him. I sincerely hope he's got a good support network around him, this must all be frustrating as *.

He did bring it on himself by wanting to stay.

Had every right to be looking for a move but didn't pursue it.

He knew this is what had been happening and could keep happening.

Obviously he accepted that scenario.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back