Review Rd 15 Review - Freo Get Back on Track Over the Dons

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure if this was apparent for those watching at home, but at the game Henry was very clearly holding his width on the wing, as in regularly standing 30m further from the play than his closest opponent.

Interesting to watch, and it clearly worked for him, great to see him solidify the improvements he’d started showing last week.

A win, Henry coming good and WC losing by 171. Best day of the year so far.
Combine it with the Ashes and it has been a very good few days.

Unfortunately we won’t get to come up against Darcy Parish every week.
From sitting in the stands it was noticeable how unaccountable he is. He’s a decent player with ball in hand and finds the footy but jeez, he doesn’t give a s**t what his opponent does.
The biggest one way runner in the comp

Now I gave Ryan a lot of s**t a couple days ago, saying he wasn't intercepting as he should etc. etc. but he was really good today and I thought he was back to his best intercepting, but was very suprised to see Walker and Cox both had as many as him. Maybe it's the quality of his intercepts that don't show in the stats.

What’s the go with Pearce? Lower leg icing.
Hamling will come in.
They interviewed Pearce and he said it was precautionary. He expects to play next week.

The right call IMO. I've been a big supporter but he'd just about used up all his chance and I dont think anyone reasonable can deny that. What doesnt help naysayers is just dumping on him regardless of how he plays (like all of us Banfield sceptics had to do after his recent run). Also, like Banfield, he's not out of the woods yet but he can add so much to us if that becomes a regular standard for him - it was basically how he looks at Peel now and Martin is a quality opponent
Martin hardly got within 50 metres of him though except when they lined up after a goal on the wing. Henry was left on many occasions to run around on his own with absolutely no respect of anyone to play on him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Man I love Luke Jackson more than I'll ever love Pick 13, our 2023 First Rounder and our 2023 second rounder

Henry was great tonight. His best game for us by a long way. Could have gone AWOL after that turnover off half back hurt us, instead went even harder, ran both ways, and so unlucky to not get that goal late. He stays in the 22.

Forward line and team in general looked better sans Banfield.

Bloody good to watch. Serong, Swaggy & Brayshaw were unbelievable at times. There was one center clearance in the last that was as good as I’ve seen. Darcy knocks it straight to Serong who has less than a second of breathing space during which in one movement he takes the ball as clean as a whistle & dishes off to Andy who gets a kick away to Fred who goes back & drills it. Game over. Incredible.

We defended beautifully, moved the ball nicely (Henry involved in some lovely transition kicking) & did some nice work around goal.

Only downside was Treacy having the yips again & some terrible umpiring & commentary all going Essendons way.

In the last Sturt kicked a beautiful ball in to Fyfe who was taken front on & had his arms chopped & nothing. Thought Fyfe started to look like Fyfe again at times.

Johnson was terrific. Jackson is a God & Amiss is the real deal. I still don’t know how he took that mark from the bullet Treacy kicked to him.

Freddy is our new iceman with set shots.

Great game.

Bloody good to watch. Serong, Swaggy & Brayshaw were unbelievable at times. There was one center clearance in the last that was as good as I’ve seen. Darcy knocks it straight to Serong who has less than a second of breathing space during which in one movement he takes the ball as clean as a whistle & dishes off to Andy who gets a kick away to Fred who goes back & drills it. Game over. Incredible.

We defended beautifully, moved the ball nicely (Henry involved in some lovely transition kicking) & did some nice work around goal.

Only downside was Treacy having the yips again & some terrible umpiring & commentary all going Essendons way.

In the last Sturt kicked a beautiful ball in to Fyfe who was taken front on & had his arms chopped & nothing. Thought Fyfe started to look like Fyfe again at times.

Johnson was terrific. Jackson is a God & Amiss is the real deal. I still don’t know how he took that mark from the bullet Treacy kicked to him.

Freddy is our new iceman with set shots.

Great game.
OMG, have just watched the first half of the replay on tv. Daisy Pearce has made me want to bash my head against the tv!

Now I gave Ryan a lot of s**t a couple days ago, saying he wasn't intercepting as he should etc. etc. but he was really good today and I thought he was back to his best intercepting, but was very suprised to see Walker and Cox both had as many as him. Maybe it's the quality of his intercepts that don't show in the stats.
There was a guy behind us who wouldn't stop abusing Ryan. I've never heard him before, but my son said he does it every game :(

Good to be back on the winners list. Still not at the same standard pre bye, but they got it done. Next week will be a good test against the dogs who cut us up early in the season.

Shows importance of the Darcy & Jackson combo. Not only with ruck situation but overall maintaining our structure and field position around the ground, which can happen when we lose the clearance/ stoppages.

Next week will be a crucial game lol
Don't forget we get Aish back, and he is HUGE for us

I don't know if it is a new role for Henry but being the first offensive link on the switch really seemed to suit him. Maybe it was just Essendon being lazy and not manning him up but he seemed to get into a lot of space and used the ball really well by foot. Like we finally found a role for Treacy, hopefully this can be something we can build on with Henry.

I said it to my mate at the game but the amount of space we kept giving Langford early was shocking. Thankfully Ryan tightened up on him after the first 15 or so minutes. He made a couple of mistakes as usual but Moose was much better. The backline, while not perfect, finally looked like their old selves again.

Not so much clearances but our general ground ball around the ground was poor. This was in part to our piss poor tackling (nothing new) and our inability to put on significant pressure. Even though we won comfortably, I still don't think our effort and work rate was anything to write home about.

If we walked away stoked and thought everything was all hunky dory I would be concerned. The fact that we won by 5 goals and there is still so much to work on pleases me because it means that we have another level or 2 we can go to.

Fyfe still ‘captain’ and has been all along, regardless of who’s got the ‘c’ and ‘vc’ next to their names.
he was doing a lot of talking and directing out there - was amazing to see - his critics don't mange to see this - watched him literally direct the young ones towards getting a goal

Remove this Banner Ad

Back