Review Round 21, 2023 - Fremantle vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Fremantle?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

The one Payne conceded was technically there, if often unpaid.

No clue what the umpire saw to give one against Joe - hands were in the back but that’s allowed per the rule. There was no shove at all.
Umpires seem to have an inbuilt dislike for Joe. If there is ever a technical one they are going to pull, Joe is almost invariably the victim.

It's inconceivable that they would pay like frees against their pin up boys and pets, of which there are far too many to list. I bet most here coud name a few though

Jarrod Berry is from the David Warner school of pulling out a gun performance after many substandard ones to keep the wolves off his back for a few weeks.

He needs to back it up over the next 1-2 months.
If Berry has a huge 6 weeks there’s no reason him being the type of player he is, couldn’t carry this group to a GF.

Performances like today and the SF last year show he can carry this team on his back and get them over the line.

Unfortunately consistency has never been a big part of his game, due to injuries etc and as such who knows when we might see it again, but if he can harness this and go on with it, no reason why he can’t take us far (with everyone else buying in too of course).

Did you take much notice of what Gunston's defensive efforts were like, was he caught out on transition? Hard to tell on TV most of the time.
I honestly didn’t. Freo did often seem to have an extra out though on a fast break. Whether that was Gunners man or not, I couldn’t tell you.
I can say I didn’t notice him a lot when we were defending but that’s not definitive evidence of much either.
Offensively though he is still quite good at getting into space and good positions but it does seem that the team doesn’t fully trust him to win a contest when his man is within a few meters. Most of the time that they kicked to him he either had a lot of space on his man or he was the only realistic option. I’m still not convinced about our mix. Cal and Cam outperformed him today as well. He is the obvious one to drop for more run and bringing in a proper mod (Dev).

He can’t do everything. I tell you what Lester didn’t do, he didn’t kick the ball out in the full and then get beaten on the lead and have his opponent mark the ball (Goal Fremantle). He didn’t push his opponent in the back in front of goals (Goal Fremantle). He didn’t kick it over the head of two teammates when trying to exit the defensive 50 only to turn it over and see it kicked through for a (Goal Fremantle). He didn’t allow his direct opponent get goal side of him and mark largely uncontested in front of goals. (Goal Fremantle) and (Goal Fremantle). Instead, he stood up, wore tackles, got down and dirty on the deck, tackled hard and got hands on the ball and got it out of danger. He was sensational today and he didn’t cost us a goal. Well played Ryan Lester. Solid as a rock tonight.
Lester can not be criticised, I get it!
In your eyes he is the man.
As an impartial viewer he is not perfect and does make mistakes, believe it or not!

He can’t do everything. I tell you what Lester didn’t do, he didn’t kick the ball out in the full and then get beaten on the lead and have his opponent mark the ball (Goal Fremantle). He didn’t push his opponent in the back in front of goals (Goal Fremantle). He didn’t kick it over the head of two teammates when trying to exit the defensive 50 only to turn it over and see it kicked through for a (Goal Fremantle). He didn’t allow his direct opponent get goal side of him and mark largely uncontested in front of goals. (Goal Fremantle) and (Goal Fremantle). Instead, he stood up, wore tackles, got down and dirty on the deck, tackled hard and got hands on the ball and got it out of danger. He was sensational today and he didn’t cost us a goal. Well played Ryan Lester. Solid as a rock tonight.
1691317746589.png

He cost us a goal.

Actually show you can analyse his game.

Last edited:
scraped by. Nothing to really take out of that meek performance.

Just more question marks over game plan, personnel, and game day coaching.

Rest up and prepare for next week. ANOTHER danger game.
Fantastic win IMO, against a side that beat the Cats on their home deck last week and were back at home with their finals chances well and truly on the line, we weren't at our best but we got the job done.

Amazing mindset to use that performance to have a go at Berry!
Not mentioned here, but at the ground I thought Hipwood was great. Ran hard, halved contests when he was out of position

On SM-S901E using BigFooty.com mobile app
Agree, he never stops working. Doesn’t always get reward for it but is one of the guys in our team that works as hard defensively as he does offensively, which is pretty rare for a key forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lester can not be criticised, I get it!
In your eyes he is the man.
As an impartial viewer he is not perfect and does make mistakes, believe it or not!
He had a great game. Of course he can be criticised, but not on his efforts today. I am praising one of our players for having a great game. Got a problem with that? Got plenty of the ball and was rock solid. Didn’t cost us a goal.

Ugly win but you need to win ugly this time of year. Just find a way to get the 4 points. These grinding wins are good preparation for finals.

Good to see Rayner dig deep after such a dismal effort last week and other weeks. Just goes to show what he can do. He needs to do it weekly not monthly.

Berry best game of the year. McCluggage I thought was our best player.

Charlie worked hard which I liked. His form will turn if he keeps playing like he did today.

Fort tried hard but I think Oscar is still the better choice. Thought Jackson for them was outstanding.

Hopefully no injuries out of tonight. Dust ourselves off and go again with Adelaide. The Premiership is officially very open with the Pies now hitting hurdles and Port losing and Dees like us are up and down.

The problem is Charles like to engage some form of contact (i believe majority of the time its legal) and he runs with his arms out, jostling with his opponent, so there is a lot of stuff going on. The grab on the pants today was particularly obvious. But other times with the flailing limbs the holds on him on those can get missed.

For Joe.. well we have to honest and see he does like to milk some frees (that are generally there). He's got that reputation at least by the umps so we have to make do.

We got the 4 points which was the priority.
Always hard to win in Perth. Also, hard to back up the following week.
If Fort is okay, we got through the game with no injuries.

I think young Fletcher is showing signs of fatigue.
Subbed out the last 2 weeks.
He may get managed next week or dropped.
Dev not really a wing but think he can play a role especially if they play Ah Chee and Berry as the main wings.

He had a great game. Of course he can be criticised, but not on his efforts today. I am praising one of our players for having a great game. Got a problem with that? Got plenty of the ball and was rock solid. Didn’t cost us a goal.
Froggy was good, I think he made 1 mistake that contributed to a Dockers goal ie. when Amiss took that 1 handed grab on the line against Payne Froggy got his positioning wrong and should have been able to come over the top of that Payne/Amiss wrestle and spoil the ball over the line.

Froggy was good, I think he made 1 mistake that contributed to a Dockers goal ie. when Amiss took that 1 handed grab on the line against Payne Froggy got his positioning wrong and should have been able to come over the top of that Payne/Amiss wrestle and spoil the ball over the line.
Watch it again. Payne was in his road in the end. Lester was closing to try and make the contest. Only superman could have made the contest and spoiled over the top. Payne had the bigger body and he needed to do more.

Berry has copped a lot of flack here lately. At the same time many of us (probably just me) have been bemoaning a lack of leadership on the field during games. Well what Berry did this evening was that leadership, a real follow me boys effort I thought.

The desperation shown by the likes of Daniher, McCluggage, Linc (all game), Berry and Rayner towards the end was something we havent seen too often lately.

Shame to see another review thread turned into a Lester lovefest. Fairly sure he wasn't the only bloke out there.

And what if I do?
I admire your faith in the man but there was not one player in that game who couldn’t have done something better, whether it was something they did or didn’t do? All could have done better on occasions. Including Lester.

Back