Player Watch #4 Dustin Martin

Remove this Banner Ad

Dusty has had a very good season. If he had finished better earlier in the season and we had won more games, he would be a lock for All-Australian.
He may not be 2017 Dusty, but he is still a very good player capable of superstar moments.

I dearly hope he finishes his career in yellow and black. Richmond Immortal and AFL G.O.A.T.
If both 'sidearse' and 'pendles' can still keep playing for the wobbles at their ages....then the GOAT can play for another 3 years...

Classic Dusty yesterday, looked explosive, just a class above everyone else out there.

Continually looked for JR and Cotch. Could have kicked a couple more, if he wasn’t looking after his great mates.

Interesting to hear that journo on ch 7 last night that was reporting his interest in a move to GC. He seemed to be backtracking significantly.

I don't know if that changes with cotch and reiwoldt not there any more? I don't think we actively trade him, but if he said I want to live in Sydney or Brisbane then I think we do it for him. He is the goat but he is also a person who deserves to be happy.

I don't know if that changes with cotch and reiwoldt not there any more? I don't think we actively trade him, but if he said I want to live in Sydney or Brisbane then I think we do it for him. He is the goat but he is also a person who deserves to be happy.

Make him captain, seems like he wants to be a leader now.

It's just noise from the usual AFL suspects making s**t up. Was Dusty that close to Dimma anyway? He was close to chimp as was evident on Cotchins 300th and final game. Not saying he didn't get on with Dimma but was he close enough to follow him to GC?
At a guess and it’s based on comments after he signed his contract , was relationship with cotch and his teammates foremost

any richmond fan suggesting we offload our greatest player of all time

Channel 9 Reaction GIF by LEGO Masters Australia

Ultimate team player. It was so evident yesterday he was looking out for Jack and Cotch at every opportunity. The GOAT but also the ultimate team man. What a bloody legend!
Although some might argue GAS GAJ Lockett carey, were better,,,,Dusty elevates himself higher than his individual performances because of how he makes his teammates better and brings them into the game. he does it all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can he captain us next year.
That would lift the playing group immensely.
I’d love to see it.

Bloody oath. Gets my vote. As I've said before who cares if he doesn't like the media **** em.

People always says best player isn't necessarily the best captain. But look at the way dusty tries to bring players into the game, how he tried to set cotch and jack up on the weekend. To me, dusty being captain , might elevate his game even more, and might even be the challenge he needs for his twilight years at the RFC. Retire as the tigers captain.

As Brendon Gale said on the ABC , it's about legacy, tradition and history. And that would be an awesome legacy.

Last edited:
Can he captain us next year.
That would lift the playing group immensely.
I’d love to see it.
I'd love it too, but I think that if it were going to happen, it would have happened when Trent stepped down. I imagine it will be Grimes and Nank, or just Nank next year. I'd love Baker to be VC.

Although some might argue GAS GAJ Lockett carey, were better,,,,Dusty elevates himself higher than his individual performances because of how he makes his teammates better and brings them into the game. he does it all.
Now hang on, no-one looked after their teammates better than Carey, he was intimately involved with all aspects of his teammates and their families lives......

Last edited:
I don't think Dusty will be going anywhere. He is a true Richmond man, and if there is one quality that stands out to me, it is his loyalty.
I would simply make him captain. Noone deserves it more. Tell him he doesn't have to do the PR crap, sucking up to the AFL crap. Simply lead the boys on the field. Get someone else from the leadership group to take on the media work. His 2 best games this year have been Cotch's 300th, and Saturday's sendoff for Cotch & Jack. You only have to see the way that he wanted to bring Jack & Cotch into the play on Saturday, to see the respect he has for his mates. And how giving them a fitting send off with a win was so important to him. Wanting the boys to have the opportunity to get involved in the play, and get on the scoreboard if possible.
To me it's a no brainer, and would be a fitting reward for, a player who I believe, is the greatest tiger of them all.

Last edited:
I don't think Dusty will be going anywhere. He is a true Richmond man, and if there is one quality that stands out to me, it is his loyalty.
I would simply make him captain. Noone deserves it more. Tell him he doesn't have to do the PR crap, sucking up to the AFL crap. Simply lead the boys on the field. Get someone else from the leadership group to take on the media work. His 2 best games this year have been Cotch's 300th, and Saturday's sendoff for Cotch & Jack. You only have to see the way that he wanted to bring Jack & Cotch into the play on Saturday, to see the respect he has for his mates. And how giving them a fitting send off with a win was so important to him. Wanting the boys to have the opportunity to get involved in the play, and get on the scoreboard if possible.
To me it's a no brainer, and would be a fitting reward for, a player who I believe, is the greatest tiger of them all.
100% - make him sole captain. He can handle couple of interviews after a match these days. The rest can be shared with VC Baker

Remove this Banner Ad

Back