Roast St Kilda robbed of home final

Remove this Banner Ad

Ackchyually it's a home state final.

icegif-1192.gif

Melbourne finals are played at the MCG because the stadium has a higher capacity than Docklands. Seriously are you people new to this league?

Just saw the finals fixture and St Kilda are playing GWS at the MCG. Wtf?
Game should be at Docklands as it's St Kilda's home ground.
It's not like any fans are going to get locked out at Docklands.

St Kilda hosting a home final at the MCG is akin to if Brisbane were made to host a home final at Carrara, if GWS were made to host a home final at the SCG or if Sydney were made to host a home final at Giants Stadium.

Do you think the Saints should be playing at Docklands?
Or do you think the AFL have made the right call?
Most of the posters of the saints board seem ok about it.

Just saw the finals fixture and St Kilda are playing GWS at the MCG. Wtf?
Game should be at Docklands as it's St Kilda's home ground.
It's not like any fans are going to get locked out at Docklands.

St Kilda hosting a home final at the MCG is akin to if Brisbane were made to host a home final at Carrara, if GWS were made to host a home final at the SCG or if Sydney were made to host a home final at Giants Stadium.

Do you think the Saints should be playing at Docklands?
Or do you think the AFL have made the right call?
It "should" be at Docklands, and the Grand Final "should" be at a neutral venue.

All the AFL guarantees though is a home state final and unless there are four Vic finals on the same weekend that generally means Vic finals are at the MCG - even for teams that are supposedly hosting and haven't played there all year. At least they have a travel advantage, though not a home ground advantage.

I would think if you want to make a good run at it, you'd want to be playing at the venue that hosts the Grand Final. Make it a positive, fill out the G against an interstate side MAKE IT your home.

Also kinda like Geelong with the Hawthorn game (although that rotates) you can't request a big home and away game at the MCG maximising returns (150 year celebration game) and then cry fowl when the AFL wants to put a final on at the bigger capacity ground

My main thing is as much the MCG is better than Marvel atmosphere, I think a 90% full Marvel is better than 40% full MCG.

I think around 40-45k is a reasonable expected crowd.

39k v Sydney 2011 at Docklands
62k v Bulldogs (prelim) 2010 at MCG

What are others thoughts? Say hypothetically the crowd is 45k either way - do you want that at the MCG less than half full or Docklands nearly full?

I would think if you want to make a good run at it, you'd want to be playing at the venue that hosts the Grand Final. Make it a positive, fill out the G against an interstate side MAKE IT your home.

Also kinda like Geelong with the Hawthorn game (although that rotates) you can't request a big home and away game at the MCG maximising returns (150 year celebration game) and then cry fowl when the AFL wants to put a final on at the bigger capacity ground

Last point is spot on

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would prefer Marvel, but the MCG is better than our last home final which was played in Queensland.
It's actually pretty funny but in 2011 you lobbied hard to get your home final played at Marvel (then Etihad) and not the G'. I think you had won 30 straight at Marvel or something crazy like that.

The AFL caved in and granted your request.

And then you lost to the Swans .

Last edited:
Good result for the Saints. GWS looked like lightning on Marvel yesterday, but have lost their last four at the MCG. Saints generally play well there - lost to Richmond on Cotch's 300th in the wet, but use another run there before the grand final.

Ackchyually it's a home state final.
that must be why the Giants played finals at Spotless and not the SGC or ANZ, GCS will never be made to play at the GAbba, yet its perfectly fine to screw over the 3 Docklands tenants or Geelong

but it's not our home, We play there no more than twice a year, and often as interstate sides, and how much do they sook about that?

1 requested home game at the G every 7 years doesn't mean we have to bend over and take it whenever the AFL feels like it. we already take it on the fixture, when exactly does Stkilda get an advantage? if it's not in a home final? then when???

3 tier league

VIC big 4
everyone else
3 Docklands tenants

But I’m always told that it doesn’t matter because the best team should usually win, or is that just in grand finals?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It´s a final it has to be at the MCG.

West Coast, Brisbane, Freo, Port, Adelaide, GWS, Sydney, Suns have to play the Grand Final at the MCG.

St Kilda should be happy they get to play in Victoria at the home of football.

You want to win the premiership you have to win at the MCG.

If you are playing finals in Victoria you are playing at the G.

Quit crying.

Last edited:
This is nothing compared to us having to travel to the MCG to play our home finals when we earned the right to play at Punt Rd.

We are just the most discrimated against team in the afl......

Yeah genuinely ****ed over here the Saints

They play at Marvel and I think they go in favourites where as the MCG not so much

Pretty ridiculous but I think the same thing happened to the Dogs v Adelaide a while back

Not sure how they justify a Geelong home final ever again
Well they do it like they did in 2013. If all Richmond, Collingwood and Hawthorn are hosting finals, what do you do if it’s only 3 days of finals?
2013 there were no Thursday night finals and now they don’t do Sunday’s.
That’s how geelong or a marvel tenant can host.

Anyway playing at the G against the giants isn’t a big issue. Wait until you continually come up against well supported Melbourne clubs and play your home final on the oppositions home ground in front of their fans.

David King was on SEN yesterday morning advocating for Collingwood fans to be given access to 75% of tickets against Melbourne 😂.
What a nuffy, they’ll get that anyway and where was this suggestion from him for us every other year?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back