Roast St Kilda robbed of home final

Remove this Banner Ad

If you wanted to post a thinly veiled melt thread about Geelong not getting home finals at Kardinia Park, you could have just led with that and not pretend the thread is about St Kilda.

Despite my team not winning a flag, I am proud of freos record in finals at Kardinia Park.

Played 1, won 1. 100% winning record.

Its better than our records at any other ground in finals lol.

Just saw the finals fixture and St Kilda are playing GWS at the MCG. Wtf?
Game should be at Docklands as it's St Kilda's home ground.
It's not like any fans are going to get locked out at Docklands.

St Kilda hosting a home final at the MCG is akin to if Brisbane were made to host a home final at Carrara, if GWS were made to host a home final at the SCG or if Sydney were made to host a home final at Giants Stadium.

Do you think the Saints should be playing at Docklands?
Or do you think the AFL have made the right call?

Imagine you finished 3rd and lose then have the shortest turnaround because you’re up in Brisbane.

Mate you don’t have to leave your state?

Poor Vics….

St Kilda hosting a home final at the MCG is akin to if Brisbane were made to host a home final at Carrara, if GWS were made to host a home final at the SCG or if Sydney were made to host a home final at Giants Stadium.

Waaaaaaah, cry me a river pal. You've got a final in your home STATE, that should be the definition of "home"

Vic supporters are so entitled, it's why it still feels like the VFL and not a true AFL

Marvel won't be big enough to hold all the Saints supporters who will turn up for their first final in a decade AND the Orange Army descending from the North.

I would say if St Kilda finished 1st and was to play GWS in 4th they would probably get docklands as long as the MCG finals quota was met

Docklands has hosted a few finals. Biggest travesty was forcing Hawthorn to host there twice with a combined number of 1 home game at that stadium across 2 years. At least St Kilda has hosted one game at the MCG this year and Geelong always have a few home games at the MCG.

2000 - Geelong v Hawthorn. Geelong hosted 4 games at docklands so not too bad
2001 - Hawthorn v Sydney. Hawks only hosted one game at docklands for the whole year
2002 - Essendon v West Coast. Only one game at the MCG but fair enough for Essendon
2005 - North v Port. Fair enough
2007 - Hawthorn v Adelaide. Did not host a single game at docklands all year yet had to host a final there.
2011 - St Kilda v Sydney. Fair enough

No no no. The MCG is the home of football. It is one of the truly great sporting stadiums in the world. Finals tradition is dripping from the joint. Players love playing there and if given the choice 99% of players would say to give us the MCG over Marvel.

Don’t become whingers like Cat supporters.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

No no no. The MCG is the home of football. It is one of the truly great sporting stadiums in the world. Finals tradition is dripping from the joint. Players love playing there and if given the choice 99% of players would say to give us the MCG over Marvel.

He is a Cats supporter, most Saints supporters don't have a problem with our final being played at the MCG rather than Marvel.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Needless to say, the fixture is all about maximising dollars, and nothing about fairness.

Geelong have felt the brunt of this more than most over the years.

Geelong qualify for a home final, we play at the MCG..

GWS qualify for a home final, it's played at Giants stadium..

Just saying..

This is nothing compared to us having to travel to the MCG to play our home finals when we earned the right to play at Punt Rd.

We are just the most discrimated against team in the afl......
You have been looked after more than anyone else in recent times. So much so, that your coach bitched and moaned about having to play a few Kms away.

Imagine you finished 3rd and lose then have the shortest turnaround because you’re up in Brisbane.

Mate you don’t have to leave your state?

Poor Vics….
Crazy that Carlton didn't play finals from 2014-22. Blues got 5th and have a home final at the MCG.

They beat the swans in the Elim final, they should be confident knocking off demons or magpies at the MCG.

The MRP let Weitering off too. LoL

This will probably get a lot of hate for this but anyway...

I have recently changed my thoughts on Home finals.
Why should the first three weeks of finals be influenced by ladder positions when the Grand Final isn't?

My thoughts are the AFL should lock in venues for finals at the start of each season and then the teams that finish in those positions just play there.
Using the top ground in each state. MCG, SCG, Adelaide Oval, Gabba and Optus Stadium.
If your good enough you should win anywhere.

While we are at it, scrap the double chance as well.
1 vs 8
2 vs 7
3 vs 6
4 vs 5

Straight up knockout.

Would never happen though because of $$

I have recently changed my thoughts on Home finals.
Why should the first three weeks of finals be influenced by ladder positions when the Grand Final isn't?
The GF is a bit different because of the logistics with entertainment etc.

So I would say we should go full NFL and lock in the GF venues years out.

1/2 the clubs are in VIC and 1/8 of the clubs are in each other state

So, the GF should alternate between one year in VIC (once every 2 years) and the next in a rotation of WA/SA/NSW/QLD (once every 2 years = once every 8 years in each state). If you're an interstate team, you can time your run to when your state hosts the GF.

And all week 1-3 finals (and home games in the H+A season) should rightfully be played at the venue of choice of each home team. With the GF now being fair, there's no reason why a team has to be scheduled at the MCG anymore (based off fairness you get a GF in your home state in proportion to how many clubs are in your state), so the AFL can then schedule all interstate teams at Marvel unless the crowds warrant it being at the G (if the home team chooses).

Last edited:
The outrage seems to be more media based for some reason.

I think most saints fans would prefer to play on the G.

1. Good experience for our young kids
2. Why would you want to play an afternoon game under a roof when the weather will be ripe for finals footy.

Just illustrates the absolute hold the MCC/Vic Government has over the AFL. All these "bonuses" the AFL gets for playing games at the Melbourne Cricket Ground, The People's Ground, Spring Street's Ground, all the kickbacks, the favours, the "Contractual Arrangements", the Promotion, all the nudge nudge wink winks...... the fact the AFL chooses to have a game that will probably draw less than 50,000 at a half empty stadium over a full stadium that the AFL actually owns and is the home ground of the higher seeded club tells you all you need to know about the spectre of the MCC/Vic Governmet corrupting the competition.

The MCG is a bog average stadium. Not even the best in Australia.

The MCG is a bog average stadium. Not even the best in Australia.
stand disagree GIF

Logistically Marvel is probably better, don't see this one pushing 60k even if it's a final (I'm thinking 45-50), but if I was a Saints fan I'd probably prefer they play the G for the experience/a warm up if they're good enough. If they're not then who cares.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back