Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Been told this morning over a coffee that if Smith requests a trade the Dogs will entertain offers.

And Smiley Boy is not far off the money, although my contact reckons it’s player driven and not coach driven. He doesn’t get along with our group.

Ive bitten my lip the entire time hes been here - I hope he goes so I can go back to hating his guts

Tbh I’m not really concerned if Smith or English leave, I feel we would be compensated enough that we’d be able to get players in that aren’t constant underachievers. It’d be good if Smith turned around to his best again but that is no guarantee. Might have to be ruthless this offseason.

devils advocate - the whole team is underachieving.

I wonder how smith and english play in a team that moves the ball more fluidly?

I dont understand why should we pay big money to keep Naughton and Smith.... we need to fix out mieldfilders.. so send naughton to west coast for pick n.1 and get Reid with that.. Smith can go to hawthorn for newcombe and they 2nd round pick... with our first pick get the best mid available and bring croft in... save a ton of money and get 3 mids Darcy takes naughton spot...

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I get why the off field circus around Baz makes him seem a bit of a flaky player to rely on, but his on field record is pretty damn elite for a young player;

• 103 games for a 22yo is a big tick for resilience/reliability.
  • Making the AFL 22 under 22 4 times shows consistent high level performance relative to his young peers,
  • Coming 4th in the 2021 Gary Ayres medal speaks volumes for his ability to fire in big games (the top 6 were Macrae, Oliver, Petracca, Baz, Bont, Gawn - fair company).

That's a solid resume for any 22 year old to lay claim a higher range salary.
The semi and prelim in 2021 are just not an accurate representation of his ceiling, they are significant outliers. We can’t be factoring that in when giving him his next contract, he hasn’t come close to touching those heights before or after.

The semi and prelim in 2021 are just not an accurate representation of his ceiling, they are significant outliers. We can’t be factoring that in when giving him his next contract, he hasn’t come close to touching those heights before or after.
His 22 years old I'd back him in to get back to that form again and potentially better provided he stays healthy both in body and mind.

It’s still a level he’s shown he’s capable of reaching though, we need to be doing what we can to get that back. I’d probably prefer a 2yr deal for Baz than long term but we need to keep him. He was also arguably our best mid up until the half way point of last year so it’s not like we haven’t seen his best in years.

He’s a 22yo in a rut

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Baz’ fleeting good form this year coincided with Treloar’s absence.

Treloar is at this stage much better and keeping Baz out of where he wants to play. Judging from the comments about his role, Baz cracked the sads about playing a different position and wants to go somewhere he can play regular midfield minutes. Better for his brand that way.

Macrae struggled but did what he was told. West has spent years trying to crack the team in his non-preferred position. It should be obvious to Baz that older, better midfielders are keeping him out, but it doesn’t have to remain that way.

I would prefer to keep Baz but we would need to make big changes to our midfield to accommodate his wants. Treloar and Libba I wouldn’t describe as versatile. Nor on form would you move them out of the midfield. Macrae took one for the team and is struggling. Bont can play anywhere but we shit the bed if he’s not winning games for us in the middle. Injuries happen but you wouldn’t want career prospects hinging on getting opportunity that way.

Just don’t see us bending to what Baz wants. We are still a tough sell to young mids because we’re trying to win in the next 2 years with an old midfield.

Baz’ fleeting good form this year coincided with Treloar’s absence.

Treloar is at this stage much better and keeping Baz out of where he wants to play. Judging from the comments about his role, Baz cracked the sads about playing a different position and wants to go somewhere he can play regular midfield minutes. Better for his brand that way.

Macrae struggled but did what he was told. West has spent years trying to crack the team in his non-preferred position. It should be obvious to Baz that older, better midfielders are keeping him out, but it doesn’t have to remain that way.

I would prefer to keep Baz but we would need to make big changes to our midfield to accommodate his wants. Treloar and Libba I wouldn’t describe as versatile. Nor on form would you move them out of the midfield. Macrae took one for the team and is struggling. Bont can play anywhere but we s**t the bed if he’s not winning games for us in the middle. Injuries happen but you wouldn’t want career prospects hinging on getting opportunity that way.

Just don’t see us bending to what Baz wants. We are still a tough sell to young mids because we’re trying to win in the next 2 years with an old midfield.
I’d love if someone had the time & could be fkd (cos I can’t) summarising our midfields minutes in 2021. We were a bloody good side for 75% of that season and in hindsight I just have no idea how we fit Bont, Macrae, Libba, Dunks, Baz & Treloar - I know Dunks missed some footy but the other 5 all had really strong seasons. What was different, how did we make it work?

And also watched the pies a lot this season including live if that makes someone an expert and Pendlebury, Nick Daicos, Josh Daicos, Billy Elliot, Darcy Moore, Sidebottom, Jack Crisp, Bobby Hill and Jordy De Goey plus a gameplan might have had a bit more to do with their premiership than running 2 Key forwards as you call them with occasional back up from the second ruck

On SM-G996B using BigFooty.com mobile app

I don’t know what argument this is responding to but it’s not mine.

I’d love if someone had the time & could be fkd (cos I can’t) summarising our midfields minutes in 2021. We were a bloody good side for 75% of that season and in hindsight I just have no idea how we fit Bont, Macrae, Libba, Dunks, Baz & Treloar - I know Dunks missed some footy but the other 5 all had really strong seasons. What was different, how did we make it work?
I don't have the stats to back it up but IIRC Baz & Treloar played a lot of wing (I think Adz was at half back a bit too?) and Dunks a little more forward. The move to more defensive wings and the loss of Dunkley's genuine forward ability have made the balancing much more challenging.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back