Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

I’d love if someone had the time & could be fkd (cos I can’t) summarising our midfields minutes in 2021. We were a bloody good side for 75% of that season and in hindsight I just have no idea how we fit Bont, Macrae, Libba, Dunks, Baz & Treloar - I know Dunks missed some footy but the other 5 all had really strong seasons. What was different, how did we make it work?

I don't have the stats to back it up but IIRC Baz & Treloar played a lot of wing (I think Adz was at half back a bit too?) and Dunks a little more forward. The move to more defensive wings and the loss of Dunkley's genuine forward ability have made the balancing much more challenging.

I don't have the numbers for 2022 or 2023 but here is time in position for 2021...

Bontempelli
0.0% - Defence, 82.2% - Midfield (0.5% Wing), 17.8% - Forward

Dunkley
0.2% - Defence, 57.7% - Midfield (3.6% Wing), 42.0% - Forward

Liberatore
0.0% - Defence, 87.4% - Midfield (0.5% Wing), 12.6% - Forward

Macrae
0.0% - Defence, 95.6% - Midfield (0.2% Wing), 4.4% - Forward

B. Smith
0.1% - Defence, 75.0% - Midfield (38.0% Wing), 25.0% - Forward

Treloar
0.1% - Defence, 57.6% - Midfield (15.1% Wing), 42.3% - Forward

I don't have the stats to back it up but IIRC Baz & Treloar played a lot of wing (I think Adz was at half back a bit too?) and Dunks a little more forward. The move to more defensive wings and the loss of Dunkley's genuine forward ability have made the balancing much more challenging.
Yeah Baz especially played a fair bit of wing and was pretty damn effective there at times, why’d we move away from those two there though? Our wings have definitely gone backwards since then. I get they’re both not natural wingers and more inclined to ball chasing in the middle but I still think there’s merit to them rotating through one wing and trying to make the position their own. They probably need to be paired with a more defensive winger on the other side though.

Their best positions are definitely inside but we just need to make something work. Whilst in theory he should Baz shouldn’t play forward, out of all our mids I’d suggest Treloar is the best suited forward - he’s a great finisher, pacy & a pretty strong tackler. I’d much prefer him playing Macraes role. That would open a midfield slot for Baz which we just have to give a proper go from round 1 next year, if he’s on our list.

Adzy rotating HFF/Wing/Midfield, Baz rotating Midfield/Wing. Not sure where that leaves Macrae? He’s a big concern but there’s just no where else we can hide him.

It would ****ing hurt more than just about anyone else to watch him at a different club but if we wanted to make a splash this would absolutely be the year to move him. Another year at this level and he’s 30 & probably not worth as much as we’d hope whereas if we moved him this year honestly a club like Sydney or Essendon could probably be tempted to use a 1st on him, Sydney especially he’d be a great replacement for Mills in their flag push & they’ve had interest for years.

I get that it would be a pretty bloody tough thing for the club to do but geez we really need to make some tough decisions and I just don’t see where he fits anymore

All of you that are so desperate to keep Bailey Smith, would you be happy to offer him 5+years at 800- 900k?

Everything I've seen from Baz since he was drafted suggests to me that he is not someone you want to invest a large portion of your salary cap on.
Not until baz can hit a target in the fwd line.
If we are going to throw around picks and money im going after Clayton Oliver.
Don't know how credible this report is but it made it the news up here.
Oliver would be perfect for the dog, at 26 he a bull midfielder to take the torch from libba.

This is great news, definitely the highest priority out of all of them. Was getting a bit worried but really it was probably never in doubt. Guys a bulldog. I wonder how much we upped our offer since his manager was on the radio a day ago 😂

Marra should be done soon too you’d think which is also important, not overly worried about him though he’s fitted in seamlessly.

This is great news, definitely the highest priority out of all of them. Was getting a bit worried but really it was probably never in doubt. Guys a bulldog. I wonder how much we upped our offer since his manager was on the radio a day ago 😂

Marra should be done soon too you’d think which is also important, not overly worried about him though he’s fitted in seamlessly.

Now to convince him to play back 😁🥺

I was never concerned about JUH & Naughton.

English & Smith are clearly the ones.

The former are more important than the latter

Naughton and JUH have the potential to be unstoppable.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't have the numbers for 2022 or 2023 but here is time in position for 2021...

Bontempelli
0.0% - Defence, 82.2% - Midfield (0.5% Wing), 17.8% - Forward

Dunkley
0.2% - Defence, 57.7% - Midfield (3.6% Wing), 42.0% - Forward

Liberatore
0.0% - Defence, 87.4% - Midfield (0.5% Wing), 12.6% - Forward

Macrae
0.0% - Defence, 95.6% - Midfield (0.2% Wing), 4.4% - Forward

B. Smith
0.1% - Defence, 75.0% - Midfield (38.0% Wing), 25.0% - Forward

Treloar
0.1% - Defence, 57.6% - Midfield (15.1% Wing), 42.3% - Forward
Thanks OG, can always rely on you

Interesting numbers and backs up what I was saying - Treloar more forward, Baz more wing less time forward.

Would love to see how that compares to the last two years but it seems we’ve really moved away from that mix and I’d love to know why? We had things very right in 2021 and now we’ve lost a full rotation in Dunks & we still cannot get it right at all.

Thanks OG, can always rely on you

Interesting numbers and backs up what I was saying - Treloar more forward, Baz more wing less time forward.

Would love to see how that compares to the last two years but it seems we’ve really moved away from that mix and I’d love to know why? We had things very right in 2021 and now we’ve lost a full rotation in Dunks & we still cannot get it right at all.
The Daniel Mid/wing was the most perplexing to me.

Bulldogs part below:

Western Bulldogs star Aaron Naughton is poised to recommit to the club on a massive deal that will make him a one-club player at Whitten Oval.
Talks have quickly escalated in recent weeks since the AFL pay deal was sealed, with the collective bargaining agreement to rise 37 per cent across five seasons.

It has given Dogs list manager Sam Power and Naughton’s manager Andrew McDougall, of Corporate Sports Australia, the certainty to broker a new long-term deal.

While the specifics are still being worked through, the deal is expected to be longer than five seasons.

Naughton turns 24 in November and has one more season on his current deal at around $800,000 in 2024.

So the new contract could take him into his 30s at the Whitten Oval in a sign of his loyalty to the club.

Naughton has always been keen to remain at the Dogs despite his links to West Australia.

The market for star forwards of his calibre is likely to be $1 million or more a season, but negotiations are still continuing on the exact salary.

For coach Luke Beveridge and the Dogs hierarchy, it will be a huge relief given the club also has free agent Tim English, star midfielder Bailey Smith and key forward Jamarra Ugle-Hagan out of contract in 2024.

English is set to wait until next year to assess his options. His partner is playing Super Netball in Perth and clubs are likely to throw crazy offers his way given his status as an All-Australian.

Bulldog Aaron Naughton is likely to be a one-club player. Picture: Michael Klein

Bulldog Aaron Naughton is likely to be a one-club player. Picture: Michael Klein
Smith is likely in his last season at the Bulldogs next year, with continuing reports that Hawthorn will offer pick 3 for him in this trade period as they try to bolster their midfield.

Naughton had a disappointing 2023 season by his standard, but a player dubbed the AstroNaut for his high-flying ways still kicked 44 goals and is entering his prime as an AFL star.

He will hope to help lead the Dogs back into the finals next year, with coach Luke Beveridge contracted past 2024 but under significant pressure after the club missed the eight this season.

Naughton bought a house in Melbourne in the past 12 months and has always seen his future at the Western Bulldogs.

The Herald Sun revealed last week the Dogs were the favourites to secure pick 4 from the Suns, and were keen on brilliant small forward Nick Watson in the draft.

It would make their forward line a dangerous multifaceted unit, with Naughton, Ugle-Hagan, Rory Lobb and small forwards Cody Weightman, Arthur Jones and the 172cm forward Watson.

Would we be one of the interested clubs into Xavier Duursma?

I was keen until his last final. He was very poor.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back