• Top 8

Votes: 23 23.7%
  • 9th - 14th

Votes: 4 4.1%
  • Bottom 4

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm interested to see where Corey Warner plays this year.

I feel like his best chance at making it as a player is as a small defender. I think it is going to be hard work for him to earn a permanent spot as a midfielder. But he is tough and pretty quick and competitive.

Cunningham's late career renaissance has been a pleasant surprise, but I feel like we still lack one or two really tough smaller/medium defenders like Collingwood have with Quaynor and Maynard.
I don't see that type of player in Corey.. Would be good though. I think Florent is that player. Have hopes for Vickery. I think someone else on here mentioned Indhi Kirk ...maybe Magor

I don't see that type of player in Corey.. Would be good though. I think Florent is that player. Have hopes for Vickery. I think someone else on here mentioned Indhi Kirk ...maybe Magor
I don't see the toughness with Florent. Not so far at least.

Corey Warner reminds me of Nick Smith, in that he was a midfielder in the reserves but was a small defender waiting to happen.

For all the media's slow-motion tongue bath of players like Daicos, one of the main reasons Collingwood are premiers is because they have Maynard and Quaynor on the half back line winning or halving nearly every contest they are in. I don't see that player, let alone two, in our current best 22.

I'd love to see one or two of those types of players in our back half, which would take the pressure of Blakey in particular.

I think Co Warner could be one of those players.

Last edited:

I feel like his best chance at making it as a player is as a small defender. I think it is going to be hard work for him to earn a permanent spot as a midfielder. But he is tough and pretty quick and competitive.

Cunningham's late career renaissance has been a pleasant surprise, but I feel like we still lack one or two really tough smaller/medium defenders like Collingwood have with Quaynor and Maynard.
I think that could be said for so many of the non incumbents.

Indhi Kirk?

He is young and has a little bit of time on his side - but nobody on the list is currently further away than Indhi Kirk.

I think that could be said for so many of the non incumbents.
I don't watch enough of the reserves to say with total confidence, but I do think there are a few players that are maybe being pigeon holed as reserves players that could actually break out and be a source for improvement this season.

Warner, Vickery, Magor, Mitchell etc.

Small/medium defender seems like a position that is there for the taking by someone. They just need to be really tough and competitive.

Worth considering. I like him better than Magor. Hard as a cat's head. 😺

For this year, ladder permitting, i’d like to see us in say Round 17 or so put players through an intensified training program whilst rotating / resting the squad a bit. We need them tapering down into the finals so we are fit and firing - not arriving exhausted. Thought Geelong did this quite well - ofc ladder position dictates whether you can do this.

Mills injury might prove a blessing in disguise - in fact he may be fully unhindered as persistent foot issues have plagued him recently - with rest the only tonic.

It’s an exciting thought but our fitness coaches need to be planning for the whole season not just match by match - which I’m sure they would be.

Oh, by the way, I like fast players.

Resting players is just another yearly hill to die on :p

I don't see the toughness with Florent. Not so far at least.

Corey Warner reminds me of Nick Smith, in that he was a midfielder in the reserves but was a small defender waiting to happen.

For all the media's slow-motion tongue bath of players like Daicos, one of the main reasons Collingwood are premiers is because they have Maynard and Quaynor on the half back line winning or halving nearly every contest they are in. I don't see that player, let alone two, in our current best 22.

I'd love to see one or two of those types of players in our back half, which would take the pressure of Blakey in particular.

I think Co Warner could be one of those players.
He just looks attacking and loose from what I've seen. Doesn't seem to hold tackles.
Florent does tackle well, rebounds well. Sometimes loses body position but I think it will come with more experience in that position

I see Florent more as the Lloyd successor. The more steady ying to Blakey's manic yang.

Agree that there's a need for a Cunningham successor and preferably an upgrade, though if not I still think Cunningham's fine.
Cunningham is fine. Florent is fine. I think Lloyd is fine, and probably a bit underrated as a defender.

But we need to get much tougher in our backline I think.

Cunningham is fine. Florent is fine. I think Lloyd is fine, and probably a bit underrated as a defender.

I actually agree with you with respect to Corey Warner. He has the footy nous, speed and ability to play small forward. He has a lot of competition for outside midfield spots including McInerney, Gulden, Campbell, Jordon, Mitchell, and even Cleary. Not saying he is behind all of those but they are there. Smith was a midfielder who turned into one of the best small defenders. Corey Warner could do the same.

I don't really have an issue with the backline. We need more depth but I think the players that are in it every week generally do their job and hold up well considering our tendency to allow surges of opposition entries. Even guys like Fox can come in and it's pretty seamless. I don't know what it is but it's like Horse-coached teams are allergic to the concept of a mediocre back six.

I just think we need to start finding some younger reinforcements for these guys, because within a few years, Rampe, Lloyd & Cunningham are going to go in quick succession and we'll want to have ready-to-go replacements and not a handful of debutants.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I actually agree with you with respect to Corey Warner. He has the footy nous, speed and ability to play small forward. He has a lot of competition for outside midfield spots including McInerney, Gulden, Campbell, Jordon, Mitchell, and even Cleary. Not saying he is behind all of those but they are there. Smith was a midfielder who turned into one of the best small defenders. Corey Warner could do the same.
'actually' makes me feel like a renegade loose canon who doesn't play by the rules.

Which I am.

But yes, I do think we have a glaring issue across half back. And we have a bunch of players all fighting for midfield spots, when the opportunity is in defence.

I kind of like the idea of Mills going back there. Despite for years pleading that they play Mills in the midfield.

But every great team has great players at half back, back pocket. I don't see that with us at moment and I'm looking for players who could get there.

I don't really have an issue with the backline. We need more depth but I think the players that are in it every week generally do their job and hold up well considering our tendency to allow surges of opposition entries. Even guys like Fox can come in and it's pretty seamless. I don't know what it is but it's like Horse-coached teams are allergic to the concept of a mediocre back six.

I just think we need to start finding some younger reinforcements for these guys, because within a few years, Rampe, Lloyd & Cunningham are going to go in quick succession and we'll want to have ready-to-go replacements and not a handful of debutants.

It's all about the midfield. If the ball is coming into the defensive 50 like it was in the first half against Carlton or the 2022 GF, we are getting slaughtered either way,

But I still think our defence is weak.

Who are the hard nosed, uncompromising, defenders in our team?

Who is our Maynard, who goes out to belt the **** out of every player?

I just think there is a gap there and hope a player like Corey Warner might be able to fill the void as a defender.

'actually' makes me feel like a renegade loose canon who doesn't play by the rules.

Which I am.

But yes, I do think we have a glaring issue across half back. And we have a bunch of players all fighting for midfield spots, when the opportunity is in defence.

I kind of like the idea of Mills going back there. Despite for years pleading that they play Mills in the midfield.

But every great team has great players at half back, back pocket. I don't see that with us at moment and I'm looking for players who could get there.
We have a history of not drafting anyone into the backline.
They are all converted mids or from somewhere else.
Rampe
Lloyd
Cunningham
Florent
arguably Blakey
going back Nick Smith

So I am not worried about smalls in the backline. Even McInerney has played down back as a taller option. We have a history of converting mids to defenders.

And we have a lot of surplus mids wanting a home.

It's all about the midfield. If the ball is coming into the defensive 50 like it was in the first half against Carlton or the 2022 GF, we are getting slaughtered either way,

But I still think our defence is weak.

Who are the hard nosed, uncompromising, defenders in our team?

Who is our Maynard, who goes out to belt the **** out of every player?

I just think there is a gap there and hope a player like Corey Warner might be able to fill the void as a defender.
I personally don't know if such a player is necessary. Maynard had success as a hard nosed defender, but before him, are you giving Jed Bews, Michael Hibberd, Nick Vlastuin, Liam Duggan or Matthew Boyd credit as players who go out to belt the **** out of every player? Because I'm not, but they all played the role Corey Warner would presumably play in premiership sides and they all played it well. I also wouldn't have traded Nick Smith or Dane Rampe for a hot-head either.

Not saying I'm averse to some aggression, but you've gotta be a really good player in the role you're in to back your lip service up. Otherwise you look like us vs Nick Daicos early last year: idiots.

Which I am.

My use of the word "actually" means I am thinking about what I'm writing whilst I'm writing. That's the way I use it. I am mid thought before I have even composed the sentence or paragraph. I may not even have thought about the rest yet.

I personally don't know if such a player is necessary. Maynard had success as a hard nosed defender, but before him, are you giving Jed Bews, Michael Hibberd, Nick Vlastuin, Liam Duggan or Matthew Boyd credit as players who go out to belt the **** out of every player? Because I'm not, but they all played the role Corey Warner would presumably play in premiership sides and they all played it well. I also wouldn't have traded Nick Smith or Dane Rampe for a hot-head either.

Not saying I'm averse to some aggression, but you've gotta be a really good player in the role you're in to back your lip service up. Otherwise you look like us vs Nick Daicos early last year: idiots.

Not sure what you are saying. Are you saying those players werent all really good?

Put Vlaustin and Bews across half back for us and it is over. We win the flag. Home for dinner.

Last edited:
My use of the word "actually" means I am thinking about what I'm writing whilst I'm writing. That's the way I use it. I am mid thought before I have even composed the sentence or paragraph. I may not even have thought about the rest yet.

Yes, I realised all that. I just thought it would be funny to highlight your use of 'actually'.

No one else thinks my jokes are funny, so all I have is the internet.

Which I am.

Very reasonable point. Glaring might be a bit strong.
BUT we have some very good ones in Rampe, Cunningham and Blakey. We have good ones in Florent, Fox and Lloyd. I'm leaving out McCartin and the other talls because we're talking flanks and pockets.
Good points made by others about developing someone to replace Cunningham. I think we have candidates so I'm not too worried.
Rampe will be next to fall off the twig and there is no obvious replacement. We won't draft one in time so it will need to be from existing players or a trade. Replacing the player is possible but the quality and the leader? Nothing in sight. For mine I would be looking for a trade. Doedee might have been good but the timing was wrong and we need to lose a few first. I'd love Luke Ryan but he's contracted. Likewise Ed Richards and Connor Idun. Not big $ players but could fulfill the playing part. Top notch mediums. A left field possibility if he sharpens up is Francis.
With Fox and Lloyd retiring fairly soon drafting a high class medium defender might be wise. Magor is training in defence but is too light for mine. Ditto Vickery. They might be OK as smalls. Roberts is exactly the same size as Fox and I've suggested him before as a potential defender. I can't see him breaking into the mids too soon with Adams and Cleary now on board but as a small/medium defender?

BUT we have some very good ones in Rampe, Cunningham and Blakey. We have good ones in Florent, Fox and Lloyd. I'm leaving out McCartin and the other talls because we're talking flanks and pockets.
Good points made by others about developing someone to replace Cunningham. I think we have candidates so I'm not too worried.
Rampe will be next to fall off the twig and there is no obvious replacement. We won't draft one in time so it will need to be from existing players or a trade. Replacing the player is possible but the quality and the leader? Nothing in sight. For mine I would be looking for a trade. Doedee might have been good but the timing was wrong and we need to lose a few first. I'd love Luke Ryan but he's contracted. Likewise Ed Richards and Connor Idun. Not big $ players but could fulfill the playing part. Top notch mediums. A left field possibility if he sharpens up is Francis.
With Fox and Lloyd retiring fairly soon drafting a high class medium defender might be wise. Magor is training in defence but is too light for mine. Ditto Vickery. They might be OK as smalls. Roberts is exactly the same size as Fox and I've suggested him before as a potential defender. I can't see him breaking into the mids too soon with Adams and Cleary now on board but as a small/medium defender?

I 'actually' think we might have that elite small/medium defender with Warner.

Staring us straight in the face.

I think it will be from existing mids. We have never had so many mids in the last 7 years.
McInerney-> Blakey
Mills-> Rampe
Florent-> Lloyd
Co Warner-> Cunningham
Roberts->Florent

Something like that. That is the way we roll. Mids end up in the backline.

Back