News Collingwood News & Media

Remove this Banner Ad

I honestly think because it was such a freakish incident that the AFL is not that worried it will even happen again, so they can say whatever they like to seem like they have done something.
Don't think Maynard could recreate the incident even if he tried.
What happens if the kicker connects with the smotherers head and concusses the smotherer?

Isn't this what we argued at the tribunal for Maynard anyway? That he didn't have any time to position his body and so had taken reasonable steps?
Exactly.

It's why this stupid amendment will achieve nothing and will mean that on the off chance this sort of thing happens ever again then the person will get off on appeal.

It's window dressing. It's smoke and mirrors under the window even.

The reality is that the Maynard/Brayshaw incident was a freak thing that's unlikely to happen in that exact way ever again so it will never need to be tested.

197d5aba9ecd17f5b46bb11b52f5b33f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What is the issue of just having 5 on the bench!!.... I hate the sub, and l'm sure the player selected as the sub hates it even more!!....

So today we have seen the sub rule remain and whistling banned....🤣🤣

I honestly think because it was such a freakish incident that the AFL is not that worried it will even happen again, so they can say whatever they like to seem like they have done something.
Don't think Maynard could recreate the incident even if he tried.

In a related decision, they’ve also banned dropping your dacks and pissing on a player who has been struck by lightning during the game.

No one is surprised that the AFL wanted to be seen to address the issue, and that it was always imperative to not do much of anything at all.

And now we wait for Maynard to hurl himself like a cannonball once again, because the game expects nothing less.

Dearly beloved, the most relevant extract:

But it is the only conclusion to be drawn when examining the judgment of tribunal chair Jeff Gleeson KC, which led to Maynard being cleared last season, next to the rule the AFL Commission rubber-stamped on Monday.

Under the new rule, players who elect to leave the ground in an attempt to smother will be liable if there exists “any reasonably foreseeable high contact with an opponent that is at least low impact” unless a player has taken “all reasonable steps to avoid that high contact and/or minimise the force of that high contact (for example, by adopting a body position that minimises the force of the high contact).”

If the AFL thinks the new rule will ensure no repeat of the Maynard-Brayshaw drama, it is whistling Dixie.
The tribunal ruling that cleared Maynard was explicit: the Magpie defender could not have reasonably foreseen high contact with Brayshaw when he left the ground and he took reasonable steps to avoid the high contact.

Isn't this what we argued at the tribunal for Maynard anyway? That he didn't have any time to position his body and so had taken reasonable steps?
The reasonable steps in the old law was from the point in time when he looked down and saw Brayshaw in his path and went "Aww shit" and then didn't have enough time. Under the new rule I'm assuming that he has to take reasonable steps from the point when he leaves the ground. And if he goes aw shit he's stuffed as he's jumped to smother and hasn't attempted to avoid or lessen the collision. That's how I'd interpret it. No idea how lawyers and the tribunal will.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The reasonable steps in the old law was from the point in time when he looked down and saw Brayshaw in his path and went "Aww s**t" and then didn't have enough time. Under the new rule I'm assuming that he has to take reasonable steps from the point when he leaves the ground. And if he goes aw s**t he's stuffed as he's jumped to smother and hasn't attempted to avoid or lessen the collision. That's how I'd interpret it. No idea how lawyers and the tribunal will.
How does everyone walk past the fact that Brayshaw swerved into Maynard, trying to impact him and hurt him.
It backfired.
Why on earth did he swerve to his right in that circumstance?

How does everyone walk past the fact that Brayshaw swerved into Maynard, trying to impact him and hurt him.
It backfired.
Finally, I thought that I was the only person who had that opinion. Probably doesn’t help that I live in WA. Phantom I believe you are perfectly when you say that he swerved but it was left had he swerved right there actually been no serious damage. I’m not saying that I know what his reasoning was, I believe that he not Bruzzy was responsible for the collision being high impact. Thank you Phantom.

Finally, I thought that I was the only person who had that opinion. Probably doesn’t help that I live in WA. Phantom I believe you are perfectly when you say that he swerved but it was left had he swerved right there actually been no serious damage. I’m not saying that I know what his reasoning was, I believe that he not Bruzzy was responsible for the collision being high impact. Thank you Phantom.
He swerved because of his kicking action, can’t believe people are genuinely arguing this.

I was waiting for this to be raised at the time.
But
I think if we had, the shitstorm about attacking Brayshaw would have been immense.
It felt to me that there was an understanding between us and the AFL not to go that route and the penalty would be lighter.

It backfired.
I noticed that , my first thought was he is looking for a free

Remove this Banner Ad

Back