News Collingwood News & Media

Remove this Banner Ad

Finally, I thought that I was the only person who had that opinion. Probably doesn’t help that I live in WA. Phantom I believe you are perfectly when you say that he swerved but it was left had he swerved right there actually been no serious damage. I’m not saying that I know what his reasoning was, I believe that he not Bruzzy was responsible for the collision being high impact. Thank you Phantom.
You are far from the only one - any of us posted about this fact at the time - and I actually posted this on the Maynard thread in the Umpires & Tribunal sub-forum just a copulent of weeks ago (post # 5,569)
Old news - This was all fully covered way back in this thread (first raised by a Carlton supporter) even before it became an important part of the facts presented at the tribunal hearing
And followed up a couple of posts later -
Very true … that’s why it was the step after he kicked when he veered suddenly and unexpectedly to the right towards Maynard, with his left leg crossing over to the right before the impact …. Again, all this was covered comprehensively back in this thread and at the tribunal. Just keep your eye on Brayshaw here -

Just as the duty of care was on Brayshaw with his wayward golf shot that left his victim bloodied. As was pointed out in the tribunal hearing, once Maynard jumped for the smother he effected, he couldn’t change direction. But Brayshaw could …. and he did, unfortunately right into Maynard - but all this has also been covered in depth in this thread and at the tribunal.

I was waiting for this to be raised at the time.
But
I think if we had, the shitstorm about attacking Brayshaw would have been immense.
It felt to me that there was an understanding between us and the AFL not to go that route and the penalty would be lighter.
Oh it was raised at the tribunal hearing alright - see the report below. In fact, though not specifically stated, I’m sure it was the key reason why Maynard was rightfully cleared. Once the tribunal panel’s attention was drawn to it - and they looked at the video multiple times from multiple angles - they couldn’t “unsee” it. If one ignores Maynard and just look at Brayshaw, the change in direction straight in towards a Maynard after he kicks the ball is far is too obvious to ignore (notwithstanding the curious fact that virtually all the media did ignore it) -
“… Ihle used colour strips on video stills to show how Brayshaw was the one who had ventured slightly into Maynard's path.

Maynard said his sole intention was to smother the ball and he was surprised to find that Brayshaw had moved into his path.

"After I'd smothered the ball, I looked down and I thought, 's**t, he's there'," Maynard said. "It was a surprise he had come into my way.”

"You can clearly see that I'm running straight. When I jump to smother the ball, he's on my right side ... and then he's made his way across."

Maynard insisted he never consciously decided to bump Brayshaw. …”

Last edited:

Fixed it

1161db1022ca9fc26f127b34cd47df20.jpg

Where is our first practice match against North at?
Everything I read said Arden Street, but article today on AFL website says it's at AIA centre.

Where is our first practice match against North at?
Everything I read said Arden Street, but article today on AFL website says it's at AIA centre.
AIA. Some journalists hadnt gotten the memo which is why some say Arden st
North announced it was there last week.

Wednesday, February 21
North Melbourne v Collingwood, AIA Centre, 10am AEDT (free entry, no tickets required)

Tuesday, February 27
Collingwood v Richmond, Ikon Park, 6.40pm AEDT

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's go time: How Pies' mindset made one of the great GF goals

IF THE Jeremy McGovern-Nathan Vardy-Liam Ryan-Dom Sheed passage of play late in the 2018 Grand Final will always haunt Collingwood supporters, then the Nick Daicos-Scott Pendlebury-Daicos-Jordan De Goey sequence late in the 2023 premiership decider will forever soothe.

From my vantage point in the Shane Warne stand I was right behind Jordy when he kicked that goal. It was so perfect off the boot and so obviously through the exact centre of the goals that for a few micro seconds I wondered if I'd started hallucinating and making up my own reality.

I think that the combination of that kick with the Naicos handball before it meant my brain simply refused to believe that anything in footy could go so perfectly.

From my vantage point in the Shane Warne stand I was right behind Jordy when he kicked that goal. It was so perfect off the boot and so obviously through the exact centre of the goals that for a few micro seconds I wondered if I'd started hallucinating and making up my own reality.

I think that the combination of that kick with the Naicos handball before it meant my brain simply refused to believe that anything in footy could go so perfectly.
That passage of play will take its rightful place in Collingwood legend - 3 of our best wresting back the lead deep in the final quarter.

That passage of play will take its rightful place in Collingwood legend - 3 of our best wresting back the lead deep in the final quarter.
Such a relief compared to coughing up the lead deep in the final quarter 👍🏆

Remove this Banner Ad

Back