Player Watch #36: Tyler Sellers

Remove this Banner Ad

Good luck to the lad, I hope he does well.

Fact is though he was overlooked by everyone else despite having a full season of exposure at VFL level so I’m tempering my enthusiasm.

Hopefully they’re all wrong.

He didn’t come through traditional talent pathways, the same way Tom Stewart did. Plenty of players who get overlooked by other clubs end up being guns. Our very own Nick Larkey and Zurhaar we’re late ND or rookie draft picks.

Mick Barlow was overlooked for years, Dayne Zorko too.

Good luck to the lad, I hope he does well.

Fact is though he was overlooked by everyone else despite having a full season of exposure at VFL level so I’m tempering my enthusiasm.

Hopefully they’re all wrong.
Clubs are slow/conservative reacting to state league form. Look at Leek Aleer, he was showing extreme talent in the SANFL, massive hype on BF but he got completely overlooked in the MSD for rookie dollars before going in the first round at the end of the year. Shaun Mannagh had almost the exact same story. Jake Riccardi a couple of years prior. Ethan Phillips might now end up tearing it up for the Hawks after being on the edge of the competition for years in a row. Sam Lowson has had his problems but who knows, could have been the difference for a team like Carlton or Melbourne if they took a punt on his goalkicking talent.

Sellers might have gone on from his 30 goal season to kicking 50 this year and winning the Frosty then he goes in the second round and turns into the next Mihocek but everyone says "how were we to know, he was passed over by every club so many times". Maybe every club is just youth obsessed? Not to go full Knightmare and say Casey Voss should be a top ten pick every year but it really frustrates me. We took RHJ when Mannagh was doing more and will probably continue to do more.

He didn’t come through traditional talent pathways, the same way Tom Stewart did. Plenty of players who get overlooked by other clubs end up being guns. Our very own Nick Larkey and Zurhaar we’re late ND or rookie draft picks.

David King, picked up from Port Melbourne, 2x premiership player and AA.

Clubs are slow/conservative reacting to state league form. Look at Leek Aleer, he was showing extreme talent in the SANFL, massive hype on BF but he got completely overlooked in the MSD for rookie dollars before going in the first round at the end of the year. Shaun Mannagh had almost the exact same story. Jake Riccardi a couple of years prior. Ethan Phillips might now end up tearing it up for the Hawks after being on the edge of the competition for years in a row. Sam Lowson has had his problems but who knows, could have been the difference for a team like Carlton or Melbourne if they took a punt on his goalkicking talent.

Sellers might have gone on from his 30 goal season to kicking 50 this year and winning the Frosty then he goes in the second round and turns into the next Mihocek but everyone says "how were we to know, he was passed over by every club so many times". Maybe every club is just youth obsessed? Not to go full Knightmare and say Casey Voss should be a top ten pick every year but it really frustrates me. We took RHJ when Mannagh was doing more and will probably continue to do more.
Good points,,,,,most key forwards (Souva included) do a pretty long VFL apprenticeship before getting a look at AFL level. Partly because they take a while to fill out physically. We also drafted Ben Brown via the VFL. I think VFL a good recruiting ground for key posi players, given how long they take to develop, and the fact they've gone back and worked hard to earn a spot suggest they have the desire and work ethic to make it. Glad we took Tyler in PSD, every chance he'd get drafted later in the year.

james podsiadly says hello

Certainly singing the praises of Tom Lynch as coach…..kudos to Tom for putting in the hard yards with VFL team. An astute pick up for the club…. And boy am l excited to see what Tyler can do…go hard and don’t have any regrets …here’s to an awesome career. 🍻

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Easily impressed me the most of any non-listed players in our VFL side last year, would've been happy if we took him at 48 in the ND.
But having Tyler do close to a full pre-season with the AFL side, and prove he can match it is a real positive. Reckon he'll play a fair bit of senior footy this year
Hope your right

Certainly singing the praises of Tom Lynch as coach…..kudos to Tom for putting in the hard yards with VFL team. An astute pick up for the club…. And boy am l excited to see what Tyler can do…go hard and don’t have any regrets …here’s to an awesome career. 🍻
Seems like David Noble's sole remaining positive legacy at our club is that he brought Tom across.

"I love going for marks, crashing packs and kicking goals."

I wonder why he didn’t get a run against the pies? The forward line still lacks marking power. Jed Adcock said they want to utilise the Zurhaar and Curtis matchups because they are tweeners. That only works if they have flankers covering them. Zurhaar is just not a consistent marking threat when he‘s playing against the 2nd / 3rd tall defender.

They have moved Chom back and CCJ must spend half his time on the bench because you never see him? Our biggest list hole atm is that no.2 key forward. I hope they give the ‘panther’ a run against the saints to see what he‘s got.

I wonder why he didn’t get a run against the pies? The forward line still lacks marking power. Jed Adcock said they want to utilise the Zurhaar and Curtis matchups because they are tweeners. That only works if they have flankers covering them. Zurhaar is just not a consistent marking threat when he‘s playing against the 2nd / 3rd tall defender.

They have moved Chom back and CCJ must spend half his time on the bench because you never see him? Our biggest list hole atm is that no.2 key forward. I hope they give the ‘panther’ a run against the saints to see what he‘s got.

Reckon once Louge is back Chom will find himself forward.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back