Training 2024 Preseason Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Gawn wasn't AA last year and he's a year older again with no real help. Not saying he can't but the odds are diminishing.
Same with May.
Lever is 0 chance without May being AA.

It's up to Koz, Fritsch, Viney, Rivers to step up to that level imo.
I mean Gawn's form last year seemed to prove that he benefits from being the main guy.

Reckon Gawn's going to remind everybody why he's still the best ruckman in the game this year. Looks the fittest he's been in a while, motivated, and has no Grundy in his way this year (plus he had the knee injury last year, too).

Reckon Gawn's going to remind everybody why he's still the best ruckman in the game this year. Looks the fittest he's been in a while, motivated, and has no Grundy in his way this year (plus he had the knee injury last year, too).
Yeah looked incredible last night. His taps were absolutely wasted on our fumbly mids.

Nice jinx. :sweatsmile: Dont think its ever been a fitness issue the past few years, just about avoiding injury.

Nice jinx. :sweatsmile: Dont think its ever been a fitness issue the past few years, just about avoiding injury.
Took him a little while to get going after the early injury last year (as it always does, because he always rushes back), but I think the lack of Grundy/Jackson is the biggest thing. He can play his role properly and not need to worry about getting jammed in at full-forward to accomodate someone else.

Saw him taking some inside 50 ruck contests last night too, which certainly makes us more dangerous close to goal. He's at his best when he can just follow the ball around the ground and plug holes, and even though sharing ruck duties would prolong his career, it just doesn't suit his game very well.

I mean Gawn's form last year seemed to prove that he benefits from being the main guy.
That wasn't me point. He missed parts of last year with Injury and we're gonna ask him to do even more work this year.
Don't doubt his ability, age catches everyone

Took him a little while to get going after the early injury last year (as it always does, because he always rushes back), but I think the lack of Grundy/Jackson is the biggest thing. He can play his role properly and not need to worry about getting jammed in at full-forward to accomodate someone else.

Saw him taking some inside 50 ruck contests last night too, which certainly makes us more dangerous close to goal. He's at his best when he can just follow the ball around the ground and plug holes, and even though sharing ruck duties would prolong his career, it just doesn't suit his game very well.
Im not disagreeing, I actually agree with everything you've said, just got to avoid the injury bug. He started last year like a house on fire against the Dogs in round 1 too.

That wasn't me point. He missed parts of last year with Injury and we're gonna ask him to do even more work this year.
Don't doubt his ability, age catches everyone
Gotcha, two byes will help, should also give him a rest at some point later in the year too. Cats shown everyone the blueprint of how to manage your older guys.

Gotcha, two byes will help, should also give him a rest at some point later in the year too. Cats shown everyone the blueprint of how to manage your older guys.
Agreed except we seem to be the shittest club at resting blokes. If anything we rush em back play em underdone and we can only rest if we are 10-4 type thing. If we are 7-7 can't see any resting

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Schache, both as a forward and a ruck just constantly surrenders front position when he has it
I wrote him off as a viable option the day we recruited him... Nearly threw the remote through the TV when he tried to mark on his chest... TWICE when in body on body contests. EXTEND YOUR F***ING ARMS!!!!!

He can go and rot in the VFL, I have zero idea as to why anyone associated with the club thought he was a viable/useful recruit.

The fact that he has survived 8 years in the system is a blight on the 3 clubs that have had him on their list.

Honestly, go and find wherever Cale Morton is and stick him in the side if we're even contemplating this bloke.

Sparrow was good but why are people acting like they didn't already know he's a good kick for goal off a couple of steps. It's been his best attribute for several years. Problem is it doesn't translate to field kicking.
Hopefully he does bring that form to the real season but won't count chickens until they've hatched.

Sparrow was good but why are people acting like they didn't already know he's a good kick for goal off a couple of steps. It's been his best attribute for several years. Problem is it doesn't translate to field kicking.
Hopefully he does bring that form to the real season but won't count chickens until they've hatched.
Truthfully it's been his only asset. He's pretty reliable from 40-55

Yep, should just have a shot at goal a la Brent Moloney every time he gets it. Problem solved!!

Yep, should just have a shot at goal a la Brent Moloney every time he gets it. Problem solved!!
Or kick it to Robbo

Jamar taps it down to Moloney, Kicks it long to Robertson. Kicks the goal

Real life footy fanatic

Gotcha, two byes will help, should also give him a rest at some point later in the year too. Cats shown everyone the blueprint of how to manage your older guus.
There is absolutely no harm in resting him against the likes of West Coast who are going to be woeful again. Give someone like Will Verrall a taste of senior footy because we need to transitioning into life after Gawn.

G'day Dees fans, honest Crows fan coming in peace.

Apologies for the self-promotion but I wrote a season preview for the Dees that you guys might be interested to read: 2024 AFL Season Previews: Melbourne

Any and all feedback welcome.

I had to update the "case for optimism" section after watching some of last night's match sim.
This was very accurate, cant fault anything apart from our backline being rated "elite" potentially, going off last years stats and indicators yes, just not sure we will be at those levels we were in the past. Hopefully we can kick some more goals to balance it out. But a really good preview all up, can tell you have actually watched us play a fair bit.

Nailed it: Time and time again last year, the Dees midfield bombed the ball deep or took low-percentage shots on goal instead of finding a forward target. Until Goodwin improves the structure and the quality of delivery inside 50, the efficiency problems that plagued them all year will persist.

Last edited:
This was very accurate, cant fault anything apart from our backline being rated "elite" potentially, going off last years stats and indicators yes, just not sure we will be at those levels we are in the past. Hopefully we can kick some more goals to balance it out. But a really good preview all up, can tell you have actually watched us play a fair bit.

Nailed it: Time and time again last year, the Dees midfield bombed the ball deep or took low-percentage shots on goal instead of finding a forward target. Until Goodwin improves the structure and the quality of delivery inside 50, the efficiency problems that plagued them all year will persist.
Clayton Oliver culprit number one.
Here's something controversial, in a way he might be one of the most overrated players in the competition.

Too many people rate him as this all time superstar when he's just one of the best inside mids in the comp with not much else to his game the last couple years.

This was very accurate, cant fault anything apart from our backline being rated "elite" potentially, going off last years stats and indicators yes, just not sure we will be at those levels we were in the past. Hopefully we can kick some more goals to balance it out. But a really good preview all up, can tell you have actually watched us play a fair bit.

Thank you, really appreciate it. Still think your backline is elite, but will defer to your knowledge (and I acknowledge that it's a subjective label anyway).

I feel incredibly awkward even saying this, but if you like what you read, please consider subscribing. I've got previews for all the 18 clubs coming in the next week and a half.

There is absolutely no harm in resting him against the likes of West Coast who are going to be woeful again. Give someone like Will Verrall a taste of senior footy because we need to transitioning into life after Gawn.
It was ridiculous that he went to West Coast last year. Without looking at the fixture and when we play these teams, I'd say Bombers, Cats, Hawks, Eagles are all weak in the ruck and should be pretty poor this year. Natural games to rest the big fella.

The problem is convincing the skipper of the club to sit out games.

Tactically it makes sense given the risk of injury and the load he needs to shoulder over an entire year (plus finals). But I think convincing him of this is a tough job, given he always rushes himself back early from injury too.

Probably need someone like Selwyn to step in

The problem is convincing the skipper of the club to sit out games.

Tactically it makes sense given the risk of injury and the load he needs to shoulder over an entire year (plus finals). But I think convincing him of this is a tough job, given he always rushes himself back early from injury too.

Probably need someone like Selwyn to step in

Two byes helps but imo he should be rested at least once per year (Same for May and Viney).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back