Preview Rd 1 Geelong V StKilda Sat 16th Mar 2024 730pm @ GMHBA

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Apologise for the upcoming ramble.

For me it'll be a little less binary than winning margin.

This St Kilda side really aren't bad. They're well coached and tough to put to the sword, as they showed all of last year.

Sometimes the opposition play a blinder, even with stars missing. Adversity can strengthen resolve (as long as its not too many).

They're fielding 16 players from the side who just finished 6th and were in an elimination final. Big bodies in midfield with an elite ruck. A few exciting younger players, a rock in the backline and good role players all over.

Membrey is in from that 2023 EF side and gives them a bit up forward. Sinclair is their one big miss (so is Guthrie for us), Butler is handy (so is Rohan) then a couple of okayish defenders are missing through injury/suspension. But Bonner isn't a bad player to cover one of them.

They're fielding a highly rated kid (Wilson) like we are (Clark), then have Phillipou with a full season under his belt.

The onus is on us to prove we aren't a cellar dwellar (most neutrals have this impression of us heading into 2024), so any win against a middle of the pack side would be valuable. How the veterans are holding up and how the kids look will be more important than a strict winning margin.

I’m hearing ya.

In saying that… 20+ points or I’m dirty.

Can’t have the Aints finishing within a few goals and getting a bit of a strut about themselves.

I dont want much... just a facsimile of Diesel Willams first game will do me...

His selection is no real surprise . You don't usually draft a guys his age in the National Draft and not give him a shot.

We've had a good record with the mature age recruits too - Stewart and Tim Kelly to name a couple.

St kildas midfield is bog average if we cant beat it we arent doing anything this year.

I think most think ours is not much better ... and if Lyon is picking them , my bet is they can run and know how to bog up the game. He has a good record at KP..even if he dislikes it. Actually have tehy moved the opposition rooms and the spot for the away coach ..?

I’m hearing ya.

In saying that… 20+ points or I’m dirty.

Can’t have the Aints finishing within a few goals and getting a bit of a strut about themselves.
Having a strut after a loss says more about them than it does about us.

I know they haven't achieved much in their history....but that's just sad.

Ages listed in brackets

FB: Z.Guthrie(25) De Koning(23) Stewart(31)
HB: O'Connor(27) J.Henry(25) Duncan(32)

C: Holmes(21) Dangerfield(34) Blicavs(33)
FOL: Stanley(33) Clark(19) Bruhn(22)

HF: Miers(25) Cameron(31) Close(25)
FF: O.Henry(21) Hawkins(35) Stengle(25)

IC: Tuohy(34) Mannagh(26) Atkins(28) Kolodjashnij (28) Dempsey(20)

18-23 year olds: 6
24-29 year olds: 9
30+ year olds: 8

I think that's a fairly healthy balance for a side keeping an eye on the future as well as the present. Some might say it's still a senior citizen too many, but I think they'll help guide the kids.

I would be happy if we picked our best, or most healthy/fit 8 veterans most weeks. That would probably mean Guthrie coming in for Tuohy and Rohan stepping up when someone else needs to be managed.

I'd also be very happy if the number of 18-23 year olds was kept around that 6 mark. Maybe 7 when one of Neale or Conway plays.

100%… Don’t want cocky St Kilda mates getting all smarmy and sending memes if they get close to us.

They don’t have high standards.
Agree totally. The highlight of their seasons are the rare occasions that they beat us.

Would have to be one of the most one sided rivalries in the game.

Ages listed in brackets

I think that's a fairly healthy balance for a side keeping an eye on the future as well as the present. Some might say it's still a senior citizen too many, but I think they'll help guide the kids.

I would be happy if we picked our best, or most healthy/fit 8 veterans most weeks. That would probably mean Guthrie coming in for Tuohy and Rohan stepping up when someone else needs to be managed.

I'd also be very happy if the number of 18-23 year olds was kept around that 6 mark. Maybe 7 when one of Neale or Conway plays.

That's some quality work Meow! Can't beat the old heads until they beat themselves.
From my understanding they offer a great depth of care/encouragement off field to the younger conscripts, that support being part of our enviable Club culture. Tomahawk set Shaun up for an early goal v ESS, to get the blood flowing and the nerves settled.
Considerable pre game anxiety for the newish ones, so wishing them a good night's sleep, then our moderate expectations.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ages listed in brackets

It is the quality of the 18-23 year olds that stands out.
SDK : Holmes : Bruhn : O.Henry : Clark : Dempsey :
They will secure Cats future for a long time to come.
Expect the first 4 to step up this season
The latter 2 will have break-out seasons
along with Neal, Knevitt and Mannagh

To be fair it was obvious he trained with the 2nds team all summer.
Guys like bews and parfitt (you could probably say this about hardie too) will play vfl all year unless we have a few injuries.

Whereas guys like tuohy moc kolo (and even rohan when hes back) are genuinely in the best 23 (even if 20 to 23) but you would want to see guys like mannagh dempsey neale clark knevitt etc pushing them out this year (creates good competition) and similar re stanley and conway.
Don't get too ahead of yourself- long season, and up until his injury, Parf was tracking really well.

Ages listed in brackets

There isn't really a way to spin it, we are are old. average age 27 years 192 days. If Guthrie was fit we'd be bang on 28 years.

I think most think ours is not much better ... and if Lyon is picking them , my bet is they can run and know how to bog up the game. He has a good record at KP..even if he dislikes it. Actually have tehy moved the opposition rooms and the spot for the away coach ..?

Im just saying they have no A graders in their mids its a cast of B and C graders. But lyon coaches them well and yes they run well and are disciplined. But if we are finals material we should be beating them.

There isn't really a way to spin it, we are are old. average age 27 years 192 days. If Guthrie was fit we'd be bang on 28 years.
That's greatly skewed by the veterans we have being 34 and 35 on occassion. In reality a side with more veterans, but they are all 31-32, is "older" in profile.

We had 10 players 30 or older on the 2022 grand final day.

Having about 1/3 in the "young", "prime" and "old" phase I don't see a big issue with. That senior number will decline by a couple each year from here.

Lana replace Hawkins (35), Tuohy (34) and Dangerfield (34) with Neale (19), Humpries (20) and Knevitt (19).

A few changes can shuffle it dramatically. But why would we do that a year before we actually have to, if the veterans we do have are performing well and supporting the kids who are locked in best 22?

The 23 and unders (at time of entry to the team) we've added after the 2020 GF have been Zuthrie, Close, Stengle, SDK, Holmes, Bruhn, O.Henry, Clark and Dempsey. That's 9 players, a couple each season. Next year it'll probably be another 3 or maybe even 4.

We're turning over the veterans fine and basically have been since 2011.

Lana replace Hawkins (35), Tuohy (34) and Dangerfield (34) with Neale (19), Humpries (20) and Knevitt (19).

A few changes can shuffle it dramatically. But why would we do that a year before we actually have to, if the veterans we do have are performing well and supporting the kids who are locked in best 22?
Neale will be 22 this year
Knevitt is 21
Humphries will be 21 this April
But agree with your last statement.

That's greatly skewed by the veterans we have being 34 and 35 on occassion. In reality a side with more veterans, but they are all 31-32, is "older" in profile.

We had 10 players 30 or older on the 2022 grand final day.

Having about 1/3 in the "young", "prime" and "old" phase I don't see a big issue with. That senior number will decline by a couple each year from here.
Yeah but also means a big chunk of our side has like 20-30 games in them

The 23 and unders (at time of entry to the team) we've added after the 2020 GF have been Zuthrie, Close, Stengle, SDK, Holmes, Bruhn, O.Henry, Clark and Dempsey. That's 9 players, a couple each season. Next year it'll probably be another 3 or maybe even 4.

We're turning over the veterans fine and basically have been since 2011.

If we did that by round 1 next year we'd still be old, average age 26 years 256 days (only 8 teams in AFL history averaged an older team throughout a season). Short of a disaster year its highly likely that Danger plays on, Hawkins too for that matter if he is record chasing.

I think our performance dictates if we are turning over our list appropriately. If we make finals then we made the right decision to not cut too heavily (gotta to be in it to win it), but if we don't, especially if we don't get close then we should have cut further get slightly better picks feed a couple of extra players a seasons worth of games etc. We won't know if we did it right until the end. If we get it wrong it doesn't necessary mean we made bad decisions with the information at the time. For what ever it is worth I think it is very line ball. We look great everywhere but the midfield which looks atrocious on paper. Now that we are here it is up to the MC to find a way around it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back