Preview Rd 2 Adelaide V Geelong, Fri 22nd Mar 2024 7:40pm @ Adelaide Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Such a thin midfield with my boy Bruhn, Bowes and Guthrie unavailable.

You know if we can get the W with guys like Clark, Holmes and Dempsey really contributing it’ll be huge.

O’Brien will win just about every tap out though… so we need to be reading it off his hand and not Stanley’s.

I predict Stanley gets completely mopped up and Conway gets a run v the Hawks.

I’m interested to see if Mannagh starts and spends a good amount of time more as a mid/winger than a small forward.
I reckon Stanley misses the Hawks regardless.

With the long break we'll play Conway, then off the 5 day break we'll bring Stanley back in fresh.

I would have gone knevitt but mullin is ok so long as hes sub and mannagh is moving into the 22.

Its clear (if it wasnt already) that bews and parfitt are largely backups only and wont play unless a few guys are rested or injured.

With the long break we'll play Conway, then off the 5 day break we'll bring Stanley back in fresh.

I agree. Reeves is not super athletic so he wont run conway off his feet and stanley cant play monday then saturday interstate.

Honestly, if we get the win, it's a bonus this week. Adelaide will come out roaring after getting so close/starting so slow against GC. No point risking Bruhn in a game we very well might not win anyway.

Bowes and Bruhn to return against the Hawks, and no more injuries. Start the season 1-1 against two half decent opponents... I'm fine with that.
I'm largely the same, although, if there was a game to have a weak midfield, it's this one.

Adelaide's isn't exactly an all star cast either, and with their backline, my guess is Scott is betting on us not needing many entries to kick a winning score.

We'll look to win this one in transition rather than through the guts. Expect Stewart, Holmes, Zuthrie, & Duncan to be really well drilled behind the ball, with the goal of getting repeat entries. Jezza will roam up the field regularly too.

We don't have to dominate that stat like we did last week, but if we can get enough of them, I can't see how Adelaide's backline can keep all of Hawk, Jez, Dempsey, Stengle, Close, Henry & Miers quiet.

Still not expecting a win, but with our talent at both ends and coaching advantage, I can't rule one out.

And then it’ll be interesting if we flick back to Conway to play R5 at home v North.

Won’t be shocked if it goes that way.

Only thing that will shock me is if Conway is fit and available and doesn’t play in any of these mentioned games.

From PS, Scott's commentary, and whispers from club insiders on here, I think it's become pretty apparent now that we have a 'Best 30' when all players are fit and healthy.

B: J. Henry, SDK, Zuthrie
HB: Stewart, Kolo, Holmes
C: Blics, C. Guthrie, Miers
FO: Stanley, Danger, Bruhn
HF: O. Henry, Jez, Dempsey
F: Stengle, Hawkins, Close
INT: Duncan, T. Atkins, Clark, Bowes, Tuohy, O'Connor, Rohan, Mullin, S. Neale, Conway, Knevitt, Mannagh

Bews and Parfitt need not apply

Yeah I’m fine with no Parf/Bews.

Parf is absolutely cooked imo.

Bews could play a role if we want to play a small back but they’ve gone Mullin ahead of him and hopefully Mullin goes well.

I think my post was more just highlights that if anyone thinks Parf/Bews are in our plans… We’ll that just aren’t, and I’m good with that.

Poor old Parf. always the whipping boy. Starting to get the Menegola (his last year) vibes.
But he's a fave of Scott's for his work rate, I'm not sure they're just going to let him fade into obscurity.

The sub call will be interesting.

You’d think it’ll be Mullin, but have we got him in to play a role on a dangerous small forward from the get-go.

Can/will Mannagh take some midfield minutes?

Surely Mannagh won’t be sub again… That would be stiff after just being sub and basically only getting 1.5 quarters in each practice match (surely he starts).

Ahhh I’m not so confident.

I think it’ll be a big win if we can get up without Guthrie, Bruhn and Bowes in the midfield rotation + O’Brien will each Stanley alive.
Could be wrong but I think Stanley has a reasonable history against ROB

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Poor old Parf. always the whipping boy. Starting to get the Menegola (his last year) vibes.
But he's a fave of Scott's for his work rate, I'm not sure they're just going to let him fade into obscurity.
I would have said the same…but all accounts he played well in VFL last week, is as fit as ever and the coach loves him….and he can’t get in the team with a thin MF

I think that is always the hard part right…

I want Mannagh, Knevitt and Toby all to get full games. And Mullin. This is ignoring 1st year players But also Bowes when he is not injured not to mention Guthrie and Rohan being important players. And that is on the basis that maybe we have written off Bews and Parfait - which we may not have.

But I can’t think of anyone in the team I would drop unless they play 3-4 bad games?

Unfortunately 30 doesnt go into 22. And we are picking the team each week that gets us best chance of winning

No rush with Mullin. He needs VFL time to pick up enough understanding of the game to be able to use his physical gifts effectively. Playing him before he's read is counterproductive for all parties.

That’s weird. He’s literally never played that role.
Has he played any role?
Of his 6 games, as he played a whole game, or come on as sub?
I would have said the same…but all accounts he played well in VFL last week, is as fit as ever and the coach loves him….and he can’t get in the team with a thin MF
I suspect a last minute call up? Named as emergency again- not that far off. But very thin MF and as you say, Mullin gets in and Parf can't. Disappointing.

I'm largely the same, although, if there was a game to have a weak midfield, it's this one.

Adelaide's isn't exactly an all star cast either, and with their backline, my guess is Scott is betting on us not needing many entries to kick a winning score.

We'll look to win this one in transition rather than through the guts. Expect Stewart, Holmes, Zuthrie, & Duncan to be really well drilled behind the ball, with the goal of getting repeat entries. Jezza will roam up the field regularly too.

We don't have to dominate that stat like we did last week, but if we can get enough of them, I can't see how Adelaide's backline can keep all of Hawk, Jez, Dempsey, Stengle, Close, Henry & Miers quiet.

Still not expecting a win, but with our talent at both ends and coaching advantage, I can't rule one out.

Adelaide may have a thin midfield but they're not "naming a guy centreman who's played 5 quarters of football 10kgs underweight" thin. Miracle required through the middle I think

I think our forwards are a level above their defenders and our defenders are up to the task mostly against their forwards so long as the midfield applies defensive pressure.

I don't think we'll pressure the entries enough though

That’s weird. He’s literally never played that role.
Has he played any role?
Has he played a whole game, or come on as sub?

"highlights" of our last game 2023. Parfitt had many involvements and hardly looked cooked from where we were sitting- in our best; it says only that he is not finished as a player, though with us he may well be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back