Game Day Rd 2 Adelaide V Geelong, Fri 22nd Mar 2024 7:40pm @ Adelaide Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

My initial thoughts were to start Mannagh as with Bruhn out we need another player to go through the midfield. He was lively when he came on last night. The play where he kicked into a St Kilda player running into goal rather than handballing I thought was selfish and not the Geelong way. I cut him some slack though as he is a mature player trying to win a spot.

Pleased Sloan is not playing as he normally wears Danger in his back pocket. Our midfield is definitely light. That's with 2 injuries. Highlights why we struggled so much last year. Bruhn suddenly looks a very important player to us.

My initial thoughts were to start Mannagh as with Bruhn out we need another player to go through the midfield. He was lively when he came on last night. The play where he kicked into a St Kilda player running into goal rather than handballing I thought was selfish and not the Geelong way. I cut him some slack though as he is a mature player trying to win a spot.
If we're thinking of the same thing, he was about 35m out and had every right to go for it as he was bursting out of traffic.

So Mullin to come into 22 (I think) given he will have a role on a small forward. Mannagh to stay as sub.

I understand they are also going to try something a bit different in terms of structure - at least for part of the game. So lets keep our eye out for that.

Nervous but excited

Our midfield is definitely light. That's with 2 injuries. Highlights why we struggled so much last year. Bruhn suddenly looks a very important player to us.
With Guth, Bowes and Bruhn out, I figure we're going in short of three of our top five mids for 2024. So I absolutely agree that Tanner is a huge miss. Which is good for our future but not great for this game.

Will need a big lift from plenty in the on-ball group to stay in touch here. If we can manage that, our set-ups down back and up forward will give us a real chance.

Cats by 9.

Enjoy Adelaide. Way better than its reputation.

Excluding the overnight trip for the prelim which didn't allow time to see anything, this is my second short stay in Adelaide, while I've also road tripped to Port Lincoln & back via the Clare Valley to Adelaide Hills regions

I find it quite a relaxing place & don't understand the s**t that gets thrown around

Only frustration so far - I did the AO twilight roof climb last night, so by the time that finished & I walked back across the river towards the city, it was like, "ok, where can I get some dinner that's not too far away and it's still open". I had the worse Fried Kway Teow - is was at a place that had a few people in it, thought I'd try it out but the dish was essentially a plate of noodles with some pieces of beef & chunks of raw onion; nothing like FKT

At least the Coopers green was cold

But that's a problem I find in a lot of Aus - dinner services finish really early

I was confident we could keep this an honourable loss up until we lost Bruhn.

I just don't know what happens to our midfield with this many missing
I am swinging wildly (not in that good way!!)….between being pesimistic and very hopeful. I am nervous that “my boy” Dempsey will have a flat follow up and Kolo doesn’t back up great start to year…Danger finds it hard to back up…and Clark has second game blues…. But then I think Hawk must be better for the run…Stengle/Close and Miers can make up if Dempsey not as good…SDK and Henry and 150 game hero can own the backline…and Jezza and Blitz just too good for them…

Wish the game was starting now as I am getting exhausted!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Stanley can at least break even in the ruck, Cameron, Danger and Duncan are certain efficient contributors. Not to mention Tommy Stewart with an extra bit of passion (if that's even possible) in his 150th game, and who plays this ground with flair.

His defender mates will be keen to help him bring home the chocolates, hopefully Tuohey and SDK find their groove. Need Touhey to look around before taking pot shots. I'm keen to see the smalls consolidate, maybe Close, Miers and/or Stengle can step it up this week. And of course the sub, Shaun Managh, to get a good confident run and silence any doubt.

We'll win and reward our dedicated fans hanging out in hostile territory.

Last edited:
Excluding the overnight trip for the prelim which didn't allow time to see anything, this is my second short stay in Adelaide, while I've also road tripped to Port Lincoln & back via the Clare Valley to Adelaide Hills regions

I find it quite a relaxing place & don't understand the s**t that gets thrown around

Only frustration so far - I did the AO twilight roof climb last night, so by the time that finished & I walked back across the river towards the city, it was like, "ok, where can I get some dinner that's not too far away and it's still open". I had the worse Fried Kway Teow - is was at a place that had a few people in it, thought I'd try it out but the dish was essentially a plate of noodles with some pieces of beef & chunks of raw onion; nothing like FKT

At least the Coopers green was cold

But that's a problem I find in a lot of Aus - dinner services finish really early

I thought about the gather round but accommodation seemed too much of a big bite. Now I think a few are reasonable but the tickets for games are all gone. Have to get over there at one stage... looks a good stadium on TV

So weather 25 over there, but wind tipped to increase fairly dramatically.
If that happens early enough in the evening Tex might have a goal shooting advantage if he plays.

I thought about the gather round but accommodation seemed too much of a big bite. Now I think a few are reasonable but the tickets for games are all gone. Have to get over there at one stage... looks a good stadium on TV

Yeah, me too. bloody early sell out. Given the success of the format, would like to see them have a similiar round in Tasmania.
Or Geelong, after all we were considered suitable for the (ex) Comm games.

How early is early, though?

Don't forget, it's midweek. Slightly different to weekend evenings.

In Geelong there's limited options for a coffee after 3pm, regardless of the day of the week

Many restaurant kitchens close at 8pm, if your lucky it may be 8:30pm to 9pm - not everyone eats dinner at 6pm, I'm quite happy to be enjoying my evening meal at 8pm

Even on weekends, kitchens will close earlier than the venue - venue may be open to midnight plus, but kitchen closes at 8:30pm

I've stopped for lunch & a drink at a place called NOLA - their kitchen is open until close which is 2am. I'll make the trek down here if I'm after a late night meal now

With Guth, Bowes and Bruhn out, I figure we're going in short of three of our top five mids for 2024. So I absolutely agree that Tanner is a huge miss. Which is good for our future but not great for this game.

Will need a big lift from plenty in the on-ball group to stay in touch here. If we can manage that, our set-ups down back and up forward will give us a real chance.

Cats by 9.
We'll probably be giving Holmes and Duncan more of a run through the guts this week. I'd personally like to see what the side looks like when Stewart or Oisin are in there.

My last stay here I did the normal stadium tour and it's a beautiful stadium to walk around

Doing the roof tour gives another appreciation for it, and you realise how well done the renovation was - the new stand at the River End, even the top most row of seats at the back of the stand have an uninterrupted view to the other end of the ground

I wouldn't mind coming over here to watch cricket

In Geelong there's limited options for a coffee after 3pm, regardless of the day of the week

Many restaurant kitchens close at 8pm, if your lucky it may be 8:30pm to 9pm - not everyone eats dinner at 6pm, I'm quite happy to be enjoying my evening meal at 8pm
Yeah, that's pretty normal in Brisbane too, and even much of Melbourne.

I do think there's a real 6pm, 7pm dinnertime culture in Australia though. I used to work in a restaurant in the city centre and we'd very rarely get walk-ins after 7:30. Even if you look at old-fashioned free-to-air TV planning, it was always 6pm news, 6:30pm current affair show, 7pm ABC news and current affairs - to wrap around the expectation of when we cook and when we eat.

I think that if there were enough demand for it, more places would open later.

I am swinging wildly (not in that good way!!)….between being pesimistic and very hopeful. I am nervous that “my boy” Dempsey will have a flat follow up and Kolo doesn’t back up great start to year…Danger finds it hard to back up…and Clark has second game blues…. But then I think Hawk must be better for the run…Stengle/Close and Miers can make up if Dempsey not as good…SDK and Henry and 150 game hero can own the backline…and Jezza and Blitz just too good for them…

Wish the game was starting now as I am getting exhausted!

Re Dempsey having a “flat follow up”. I think that’s the beauty of having O. Henry and Dempsey in the same forward six. Both good aerially and instinctive dangerous 3rd talk forwards. Name your poison.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back