AFL Toast RND 1: Bombers 1 Dawkes 0

Remove this Banner Ad

Goldy - huge effort at that age in that heat first up.
Gresham - was great, felt like he had it more, intent was great early when others were a bit lacking.
McKay - big intercept marks, didn't someone say he couldn't mark?
Perkins - poor start and then exploded, did his role change at all or did he just work through it. Huge game.
McGrath - few poor errors early and some silly decisions still but good intent and did some good things. Hopefully this is the standard and can focus on making good instinctual decisions.
Stringer - typical contract year.
2mPeter - good kicking, still knocked off his line a bit too much but it was a Typical Pete game. He is what he is.
Durham - gives us something different round the ball, I like it.
Guelfi - for a limited footballer he puts some really good games on tape.
Jones - just about done, his spot goes to the second ruck or Caddy.
Hep - slow as anything but his positioning is pretty bloody good. Is doing the old man thing of going to ground though, the end is so close. Replace with Rids when he's back.

Still too fumbly, poor skills and that game was very open so it's not really the type of football you want to build your club on, but a win is good to try and build some belief before a pretty horror stretch.
Keep prioritizing rewarding smart footballers with skills and who want to run.

Did Setters and Duz swap can anyone tell me or were their times they were both in?
They definitely both started at the first centre bounce.

I’m already in love with Gresham and McKay. Goldy as well tbh, although we kinda knew what he was going to be.

Duursma I’m not convinced yet.

Was very happy with Perkins, Durham, Elf, Goldy and Jake. Plenty still to do and we’re a long way off the better teams but it’s alway great to start with a win against a little club like Hawks before hitting the bigger teams.

I’m already in love with Gresham and McKay. Goldy as well tbh, although we kinda knew what he was going to be.

Duursma I’m not convinced yet.
Agree. Duursma not quite connecting yet and a couple of poor moments, defensive pocket in the 2nd half particularly. LKey role in a goal that allowed us some strong momentum though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really proud of Archie, Duz, Setters and Caldwell. Gave us plenty of drive through the middle with Parish out, Marto back and Zach not at his best.
Would they have hsd the same impact with Draper rather than Goldy? I'm not sure...

Favourite moment was the clearance ending with Gresh's goal.
My favourite moment was Sam Mitchell's frustration, dropping the phone in the 4th Q. I said to my son, they put that shot up just for the Essendon fans to cheer.

Not so fast. He had a faux breakout game against these campaigners last year. Needs to do it against Sydney.
He had only 1 tackle last year. He had 12 tackles today. We knew he could kick goals, but I had doubts about his ability to impact games in the middle so I think this is his proper breakout game as a mid.

I missed it. What did he say?
He was adamant Hawthorn would win in an upset. Not simply your everyday “this team will beat this team” he gave a long-winded diatribe about Essendon. I suppose if you throw another poop some of it will eventually stick.

Either way King’s hatred for Brad Scott is palpable.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back