Autopsy Round 1, 2024: Geelong v St.Kilda *COLLARD, WILSON DEBUT*

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So we go down to Geelong and we are in the game until the very end.
We win the clearances, contested possessions, we have 3 less shots at goal with 19 less entries, we have a 52% I50 efficiency rate and somehow people think the sky is falling. This game was always a 50/50 game and we nearly pulled it off.
Thurday night will give us a better idea of where we are at, but I'm OK with last nights performance.

Watching the dees game at the g. It’s evident our game plan will be very good there. Unlike the tooth pick that is Geelong. Reckon we take the chocolates on Thursday night

Had to recheck that the autopsy I was reading was on last nights match and wasn't from a different game.

I didn't see woe, misery and despair from last night. Yes we were inconsistent (who would have thought that would happen with so many kids playing) but enough signs to be very positive about. We are not a top 4 club, but fully support going to the draft (and doing it again this year again) and building a sustainable list properly. Had enough of years of trading in other clubs rejects.

I apologise for seeing promise and positive signs, even though we lost. I know this is the thread for breast beating, burning membership cards and seeing the end of the world as we know it.

We win the clearances, contested possessions, we have 3 less shots at goal with 19 less entries, we have a 52% I50 efficiency rate and somehow people think the sky is falling. This game was always a 50/50 game and we nearly pulled it off.
Thurday night will give us a better idea of where we are at, but I'm OK with last nights performance.

Okay I will bite...it was simple Geelong dominated the possessions that mattered. 80% of our possessions were in our defensive half. You cant win games playing the entire 120 minutes relying on 16 players in defence and quick breaks. Geelongs quality of clearances also far out weighed ours and often lead to scores. Our lack of a midfield lead to having to flood our defence constantly, thats okay for 15-20 minutes but you dont win games doing it for 120 minutes.

The club were talking up all preseason how good our leg speed is, well our midfield were all pedestrian excluding Henry when he moved in there. Even Steele is not quick in close, but wins balls through effort and grunt.

Go back and watch the game and see how poor we were at ground level. On the majority of occasions we were 2nd to the ball and when we were first we fumbled and then handballed to a team mate under as much pressure. Or quickly kicked a scrubby kick forward which Geelong often intercepted.

Yes we were able to scrap out a close loss, but even RTB conceded Geelong were by far the superior side. Its not all tears we saw some new players show plenty, but what frustrates most is we rolled out the same inept/slow midfield and expected a different result. I know we had limited availability but great coaches dont continue to make the same errors....?

It was a R1 match so thrers that.
We are also a team being significantly rebuilt with lots of inexperienced players across each line, and so there's that too.

BUT! It was a really poor standard by both teams, we weren't flash but Geelong were very average and were lucky to have their significant home advantage. I didn't see anything from them to suggest they will return to finals this year.

But it's only R1.

Last quarter
  • Umps burn Bonner
  • King burns Lance
  • King burns Lance again
  • Steele nails Mannagh HTB ump with perfect view, play on, goal
  • Stocker gets kneed in the back, free to Danger, Stocks gone
  • Coops in position to intercept gets elbowed in the face by Ro. Cats goal.
  • Owens marks in f50, Stewart throws King to the ground right in front of the ump, 50m every day of year. Nuffin. Owens shanks it.
  • King burns Collard again, but Wilson goals
Bonner a defensive liability and not best 22. At least we didn't pay anything.
Snags is easily our best kicking into f50 with great vision and game sense.
Leave Collard in, Pou up forward and Snags to get on his bike.
Cordy and Byrnes very underrated.

Disagree about Bonner, he's just limited, but his vision and execution with a little bit of time as excellent. I think it's just going to be a case of balance, with Bonner, Sinclair, Nas, Stocker, Webster. Wilkie wasn't quite up to his high standards last night as well and he has cleaned up so much for us the last 2-3 years, really highlighted by the loss of Webster as well. A lot of rebounding half backs, need to find the balance.

Jesus there’s a lot of sooks in here.

I’ve seen barely any sky is falling stuff just as I’ve seen barely any well win 3 flags in a row stuff.

We were competitive if untidy against a well regarding opponent on their home deck missing some players. Disappointed we lost, some clear things we can quickly fix but into next week.

That’s been the general consensus so can everyone stop with the “whys is every one so negative” shit. It’s tiresome

Christ its pretty sad affair when we are basically hoping Paddy Dow can fix our snails pace midfield, Lets hope Wilson and Garcia progress quickly as they have some spunk and pace.
The old man Danger made us look silly the way he could just run out the guts

Yes we were able to scrap out a close loss, but even RTB conceded Geelong were by far the superior side. Its not all tears we saw some new players show plenty, but what frustrates most is we rolled out the same inept/slow midfield and expected a different result. I know we had limited availability but great coaches dont continue to make the same errors....?

Partly agree, but we have the players we have. Pretending Jones is going to magically fix all our midfield problems isn't really consistent with his career history, and apart from him what are the options?

My take is that we struggled to move the ball effectively. Our game is to intercept and then move, we could do the first part but we just couldn't get the ball going. I think a huge part of that is the ground, it is so narrow and Geelong just stifled us.

It's a stoppage ground and we were really bad at stoppages. I thought we looked a lot better in there second half with Henry running through the middle. Also I thought Windy stepped up a bit as the game went on. Crouch was terrible didn't look like he could kick hopefully just a warm-up game for him. Pou as a mid quite simply is not working so they'll need to have a think there.

When we got on top at various stages especially the last quarter we weren't able to make the most of it. I think we let things get a bit too manic, really we had a great opportunity to take our momentum to victory once we got about level but they got a few goals against the flow and that was just about it. Great fightback at the end, would have been amazing to pinch it.

It's the type of ground we are basically never going to win at as history says. Many a good side has gone there and lost. Sincs would have made a huge difference too but mostly I'm actually quite bullish with a lot of midfield troops to come back. I definitely think we can beat the Pies next week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Think he made it look just clumsy enough to have it not looked at but I agree with you, he led with the knee if nothing else than to draw a free kick.

Insufficient force if it does, nothing to see here really, as you say it was just an attempt to draw the free he got, which is why I quoted the rule and stated I hated it since that was his intent and not the ball.

Kinda similar to Daicos when tackled just throwing his head back to be all "lol high" in that match where yeah it's a thing to fool the umpire but Fme is it a blight on the vision of the game.

Okay I will bite...it was simple Geelong dominated the possessions that mattered. 80% of our possessions were in our defensive half. You cant win games playing the entire 120 minutes relying on 16 players in defence and quick breaks. Geelongs quality of clearances also far out weighed ours and often lead to scores. Our lack of a midfield lead to having to flood our defence constantly, thats okay for 15-20 minutes but you dont win games doing it for 120 minutes.

The club were talking up all preseason how good our leg speed is, well our midfield were all pedestrian excluding Henry when he moved in there. Even Steele is not quick in close, but wins balls through effort and grunt.

Go back and watch the game and see how poor we were at ground level. On the majority of occasions we were 2nd to the ball and when we were first we fumbled and then handballed to a team mate under as much pressure. Or quickly kicked a scrubby kick forward which Geelong often intercepted.

If you were a doctor would you diagnose a patient based off one symptom? No, you try and get enough information in order to exclude all other possibilities.
Did we field our best team? NO
Do we know how good the Cats will be this year? NO
Did we have players underdone? Yes
Even though we did not play at our best, did we give ouselves a chance to win the game last night. YES.
Good teams keep themselves in the game, even when the are not playing at their best. We did that.
You might be prepared to make judgement calls off the back of one perfomance, and you may be proved correct, but I want to reserve judgement until I've seen a bigger sample size.

It's a shame Collard was ignored by our other forwards, those couple of times on the fast breaks, I reckon he got to good spots

It’ll take some minutes to work to Lance’s strength, given pace of the game and decisions/execution under pressure. If it becomes a pattern and trend, I’d be more concerned

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

It's a shame Collard was ignored by our other forwards, those couple of times on the fast breaks, I reckon he got to good spots😊
He got burnt by Kingy badly I agree.
In defence of Kingy yeah he missed the shot badly, but I want my big key forward who we pay a lot of money for take the responsibility on.
All big key forwards are the same

He got burnt by Kingy badly I agree.
In defence of Kingy yeah he missed the shot badly, but I want my big key forward who we pay a lot of money for take the responsibility on.
All big key forwards are the same

Yeah I wouldn't be too hard on the guy, it's heat of the moment and you have your BDE KPF going "come with me boys", as a small forward even if you're in position to be benefit, so long as the team does it'll be highlighted by coaches that you were there and you did the team thing. That is, if the coaches are any good obviously.

Collard showed enough when he came on that he is going to be a player for us if he tracks that way, as he was immediately in dangerous positions in F50 and he was there to be directly involved multiple times. Yeah, in those singular moments it might be "FFS Ming" as a response, but you also love to see it when it comes off.

Minor issue in grand scheme of things, I'd have loved what both did or attempted to do in those moments.

Most has been covered well so not got much different.

Can only play two out of Steele, Crouch, Ross, Clark. With Steele the only one guaranteed ie only out for injury.

Good debut by Wilson and club debut for Henry.

RoMa still a conundrum. Not going to change from him but hopefully we can trade/draft a couple of elite centre clearance players to make his elite around the ground work not be so offset by his poor tap work at centre bounce.

Finally a few have said it but it shouldn't be understated after travelling down to Geelong over the past 35 years. That was the biggest St Kilda crowd I've ever seen down there and they were the loudest I've ever heard at an away regular season game (excluding marvel games). I'm as impatient as anyone but I really feel that we're on a great path and the supporters will play a massive part in getting this team wins when not expected this year.

Winning the ball off HB is a good thing but not when you turn it over before it goes back inside your attacking 50. My biggest disappointment last night was our ball use, our skills looked a lot worse than theirs. It was a real Ross Lyon hard work to negate the better skilled team game.

I was hoping for an improvement there but thought we may have been worse than last year. Hopefully it's just some rust because we couldn't hit simple handballs or hit players up by foot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back