Review Good/Bad vs Gold Coast, Round 1 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes - but you are 90% sure that you will get decide when they go in. You plan for the 10% but hope it doesn't happen.

If you need to give them extra work then you can do extra after the game. If you are forced to play them early, you reduce their TOG and hope for the best.

Other choice is an SANFL Trial game on a s**t oval with 17 year olds. How is that going to be better for preparation for round 2

Yeah - I think it is good management. Soligo got 34% TOG and work after the game. Will recover perfectly and can do a couple of heavy sessions and hopefully be ready for Friday night.

I wouldn't be against him being sub again if his fitness still isn't up to scratch.
Just out of interest, given that you've followed the club for a number of years, do you think there's any chance that we made an overly cautious decision here?

Last edited:

The leadership group is chosen by the players and I’m dumbfounded. Do some of the leadership group wash cars or provide bjs. I just don’t understand how a very vanilla player, and even that is a stretch, can be in the leadership group. Do players actually understand what leadership is? I’m convinced they don’t.

The coaches, at most, are guided by the votes, but they veto whoever and whenever they want.

Thats a stretch big brain.

You should view all of the information at hand. Similar to the Berry discussion. You remember that one?

And yet, if it was a stretch you might have been capable of articulating how instead of retreating more and more into the fake confidence routine. If you just pretend that you're going well, people might just believe it this time!

You've placed weight on Nicks selection history with Soligo as your evidence that he couldn't have made a mistake with him here. He raised actual examples of errors relating to the treatment of Soligo, and you fell back immediately to 'just judge it on its merits'.

And we haven't even gotten into whether the history of treatment of Soligo has been one of full throated support, or whether it tells a story of a player pushed into more and more marginal roles as last season went on, and who lost his CBA attendances almost completely by the years end, and whether that is somehow inconsistent with a club view now that he's an appropriate sub.

That was Berry you're talking about isn't it? He's no shrinking violet. Maybe just maybe the ball was just a tad slippery when going for overhead marks.
It was a cake of soap and even Ben King struggled (same stats as Gollant, but at least Gollant took a mark haha).

Also, Berry kicking a heavy ball with heavy legs from outside 50? That was never going through

The mids were thrashed but without Crouch, it would have been so much worse. He was the only one with any inside game last night and the only one that knew how to play in those conditions.

Fair enough, one of the main issues with Crouch has always been his work when we don’t have the ball and how much more damaging the opposition midfield is. Hard to tell off the screen so I'll go with the popular opinion

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fair enough, one of the main issues with Crouch has always been his work when we don’t have the ball and how much more damaging the opposition midfield is. Hard to tell off the screen so I'll go with the popular opinion
Crouch was easily our best midfielder last night.

If our other midfielders had been as good, we would have won the game.

Dawson was smashed by Miller.

Laird was ineffective.

He dropped off once he knew hinge was throwing it on the boot.

There was no one front and centre all night it seemed
Front and centre!

Amazing how many times we got caught out with this and then the easy flick into the corridor which was subsequently unguarded too. Made it much easier for them to gain that territory in a serious way.

Frustrating as hell to watch because it's an easy fix.

Crouch was easily our best midfielder last night.

If our other midfielders had been as good, we would have won the game.

Dawson was smashed by Miller.

Laird was ineffective.

As I said the criticism internally has always been how hard he works when he doesn't have the ball and what impact he allows his opponent to have. I can't judge that off the screen so happy to go with the majority.

You don’t want to hear it, but Soligo played a perfect sub game

Came on late with a full tank to hit the ground running and provide a spark.

That’s perfect sub deployment, couldn’t have worked better.

What i don’t like is how much the pressure now ratchets up to perform in round 2.

We need to come out and deliver. Don’t want the rot to set in before the season has really begun.

Round 2 is everything because we’ve got another tough away fixture in round 3

Also, Berry kicking a heavy ball with heavy legs from outside 50? That was never going through
Maybe one of their senior players would have given away a 50m penalty?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back