• James Borlase

• Patrick Parnell

• Reilly O'Brien

• Lachlan Gollant

• Mark Keane

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

He changed his game. A credit to him.

No longer looks backwards for a first option. He was a crab.

Lots of handball last night, I can't recall any negative handball.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app
I can assure you at the game almost every time I saw us get a really good exit from congestion it was Crouch feeding it out. Our other mids had their moments for sure but Crouch had the ability to either stand up through the tackle or ability to get it out to someone in an attacking position.

With that final game I wonder if Soligo will finish in the top 10 in the best and fairest.

Tex
Dawson
Laird
Hinge
Milera
Smith
Keays
Rankine
Soligo
Fog

ROB will probably be in there though even though his season wasn't really that good

Better not see Sloane or Murphy in the top 10
Murray and Max should be above Sloane and Murphy. Maybe Jones too?

I reckon Soligo had too many quiet games to crack the top ten.
Interesting to see though.

With that final game I wonder if Soligo will finish in the top 10 in the best and fairest.

Tex
Dawson
Laird
Hinge
Milera
Smith
Keays
Rankine
Soligo
Fog

ROB will probably be in there though even though his season wasn't really that good

Your top 8 there will all finish top 10 in our BnF. I don't think Soligo or Fog will - my guess is ROB and Sloane for the last two spots. Max also a shout.

ROB reflected a poor attitude in the first half .....his INSISTENCE at taking that shot for goal, even when there was a play alongside him asking for the ball .....showed his poor attitude

He would normally, never take that shot
Wanted to prove something. What he proved is that he is a s**t kick for goal and possibly cost us a goal by not giving it to a far superior option in Rankine. Know your limitations ROB.

ROB reflected a poor attitude in the first half .....his INSISTENCE at taking that shot for goal, even when there was a play alongside him asking for the ball .....showed his poor attitude

He would normally, never take that shot
He would have known the plan for Thilthorpe as sub was to Ruck. RoB can see the writing on the wall.

Thilthorpe is our next lead Ruck. Could well be by the end of next year.

Thilthorpe may not be a great tap Ruck, although he is creative, but will be another mid and is good at taking contested marks around the ground. That will make up for his tap work. And he will improve in that too.

Does need to get some mongrel though.

Gollant wins best hit out and clearance of the year and makes our lead ruck look silly.

I don't care how many hit outs RoB wins, they are all mostly terrible. Not only that, he gets in the bloody way of our midfielders, and he is so unclean, fumbly, and uncoordinated.

Let's not get started on his kicking or weird handballing.

Happy to agree with point three but fatigue is only a factor once you've tried. We've been inaccurate early in games often (usually).

There's more to it than fatigue.
Yes and I suggested 3 factors, not fatigue alone. Another one I can think of is that our forwards feel the extra pressure to perform (relative to the opposition forwards), knowing that our midfield and defense are relatively deficient as being a young squad. With extra pressure, performance anxiety, less kicking accuracy.

Also, I think bad luck is also another factor. I would like to look at the stats on this one, but I recall seeing a lot of posters kicked on some of the games. Then we also have a first this year, a poster called by an umpire when it was an obvious goal!

Pretty sure he taps his right ankle not left?.. his kicking foot/ankle..

he also lifts one of his hands on and off the ball as he’s running in.. dermott brereton pointed it out a few weeks back.. explained that its done so his main ball drop hand remains the dominant hand of the two which makes the ball drop more solid and reliable.

this is what I really rate about Dermie’s commentating.. he has some real awesome insights into the game that he shares With the viewer… s**t you wouldnt really know as a everyday punter watching the game.

mcadam does the same thing.. but not only lifts the hand.. he goes as far as wiping the hand he lifts on the back of his shorts as well..

whatever works i suppose!..
Nope Tex taps his left ankle.

Pretty sure he taps his right ankle not left?.. his kicking foot/ankle..

he also lifts one of his hands on and off the ball as he’s running in.. dermott brereton pointed it out a few weeks back.. explained that its done so his main ball drop hand remains the dominant hand of the two which makes the ball drop more solid and reliable.

this is what I really rate about Dermie’s commentating.. he has some real awesome insights into the game that he shares With the viewer… s**t you wouldnt really know as a everyday punter watching the game.

mcadam does the same thing.. but not only lifts the hand.. he goes as far as wiping the hand he lifts on the back of his shorts as well..

whatever works i suppose!..
Funny, I knew he did that. Until now never really considered why.

Tex
Dawson
Laird
Hinge
Milera
Smith
Keays
Rankine
Soligo
Fog

Sloane isn't in the top 20. ROB had an awful year. Smith is nowhere near the top 10.
Tex Dawson Laird Hinge Murray Rankine Soligo Pedlar Michalanney Rachele Worrell

Tex
Dawson
Laird
Hinge
Milera
Smith
Keays
Rankine
Soligo
Fog

Being in the top 10 in a club best and fairest is literally meaningless. Usually the top 3 are runaways the rest just get points for playing their role. Tex will win and it wont be close.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gollant wins best hit out and clearance of the year and makes our lead ruck look silly.

I don't care how many hit outs RoB wins, they are all mostly terrible. Not only that, he gets in the bloody way of our midfielders, and he is so unclean, fumbly, and uncoordinated.

Let's not get started on his kicking or weird handballing.

RoB out

Thilthorpe lead Ruck

Gollant Forward/,Chop out Ruck.

McAdam in the side.

Improves our midfield and Forward aerial marking, with a bit of a downgrade in Ruck tapwork.

Only one that can see the writing on the wall is Geoffa.

You would hope a fresh Riley would be more than competitive with the 198cm stand in ruck/utility Bailey Williams who had played all the previous 3 quarters almost lone handed. Bailey Williams has had to shoulder the ruck since Nic Nat went down with their only other ruck in waiting the new draftee Harry Barnett struggling in the WAFL.
As I said, we lose a bit in tap work. But Thilthorpe is by far the better around the ground player.

Rob's tapwork is not that great anyway. Yeah he wins a lot and looks pretty on a stat sheet, but most of his taps are between 3 and 6. Too easy for opponent to read.

Also, Thilthorpe in allows Gollant to play.

The only realistic way we can play Gollant and Thilthorpe is with McAdam out.

As I said in the post above, we will lose out in pure Ruckwork. But the gains are better midfield after the tap (Thilthorpe is a far better stoppage player and as capable cintested mark between the arcs) and better forward aerial play.

Bigger picture than Rob's pure tapwork.

Yes and I suggested 3 factors, not fatigue alone. Another one I can think of is that our forwards feel the extra pressure to perform (relative to the opposition forwards), knowing that our midfield and defense are relatively deficient as being a young squad. With extra pressure, performance anxiety, less kicking accuracy.

Also, I think bad luck is also another factor. I would like to look at the stats on this one, but I recall seeing a lot of posters kicked on some of the games. Then we also have a first this year, a poster called by an umpire when it was an obvious goal!
I always enjoy your thoughtful posts but in this case, we have different views.

Luck for missing a set shot is a minute factor. Luck is an uncontrollable factor like a strange bounce from a scrambled bouncing ball. Sometimes it bounces your way and then against you. Set shots which fail to score a goal are completely in the control of the kicker. With a pure strike on the perfect line, it's not luck which scores the goal. A near miss (hit the post) is a near miss, not unlucky as the ball actually went exactly where it was kicked to. It's harsh but is fundamentally, a skill error.

Your first point about pressure due to team mates ineptitude I feel is quite a stretch. However, if true, it can join the long list of potential external pressures which can affect a not focussed athlete. Some of these, amongst hundreds of others, might be the scoreboard, weather conditions, a hostile crowd, a fight with your girlfriend or the family dog dropping dead last night. These type of pressures are real but can be minimised by professional sports psychologists.

The proper answer cannot be accurately determined from a bigfooty chat but I hope the club does whatever it needs to for a better 2024 conversation rate in front of goal.

He would have known the plan for Thilthorpe as sub was to Ruck. RoB can see the writing on the wall.

Thilthorpe is our next lead Ruck. Could well be by the end of next year.

Thilthorpe may not be a great tap Ruck, although he is creative, but will be another mid and is good at taking contested marks around the ground. That will make up for his tap work. And he will improve in that too.

Does need to get some mongrel though.

You earned yourself a condescending laughing emoji from Mutineer for this comment… well done.

Hit the nail on the head. Our goal kicking on the face of it looks pretty good - as below. But when you factor in all shots taken (at least 10 shots in the season to get a ranking, 304 players currently ranked) we only have 3 players in the top 100

Tex 76.34. (53)
Rankine 36.27. (170)
Fog 34.23. (109)
Peds 25.15. (149)
Thilthorpe 18.9. (74)
Murphy 12.8 (208)
McAdam 12.4. (12)

And then - hard to believe Dawson is bottom 12 in the comp for goal kicking accuracy (including misses)

Keays 22.19. (177)
Rach 23.25. (229)
Dawson 6.15. (292)
Laird 3.10. (301)

And it is infectious. We had plenty of games where we kicked well for goal - but when we didn’t, it was usually really bad

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
I’d like to see where Dawsons are from, reckon very few set close set shots, more running long bombs

Back