• Brodie Smith

• James Borlase

• Patrick Parnell

• Reilly O'Brien

• Lachlan Gollant

• Mark Keane

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

With that final game I wonder if Soligo will finish in the top 10 in the best and fairest.

Tex
Dawson
Laird
Hinge
Milera
Smith
Keays
Rankine
Soligo
Fog

ROB will probably be in there though even though his season wasn't really that good

Better not see Sloane or Murphy in the top 10
Amazed if Fog finishes top 10. The biggest disappointment of the year from our Snr team. let’s hope it was injuries as has provided zero confidence he is ready to take over the mantle from Tex next 1-2 years. Besides a few good games to start the year and a few (3 ish) back end of the season - but not in the last 3 games when we really needed him - he unfortunately was vey underwhelming despite being constantly talked up by some last year as the second coming (who suddenly disappear and go very quiet this year. No longer “taking over” the board with Fog love).

Murray and Jones would have been easily top 10 at time of injuries. Max will make too 10. Worrell also excellent year. The rest look pretty well bang on with Milera being the biggest positive surprise for the year in addition to our MANY young guns showing they have it.

Another pre season, better goal kicking and more luck and we are certainly top 8, quite possibly challenging for top 4

Amazed if Fog finishes top 10. The biggest disappointment of the year from our Snr team. let’s hope it was injuries as has provided zero confidence he is ready to take over the mantle from Tex next 1-2 years. Besides a few good games to start the year and a few (3 ish) back end of the season - but not in the last 3 games when we really needed him - he unfortunately was vey underwhelming despite being constantly talked up by some last year as the second coming (who suddenly disappear and go very quiet this year. No longer “taking over” the board with Fog love).

Murray and Jones would have been easily top 10 at time of injuries. Max will make too 10. Worrell also excellent year. The rest look pretty well bang on with Milera being the biggest positive surprise for the year in addition to our MANY young guns showing they have it.

Another pre season, better goal kicking and more luck and we are certainly top 8, quite possibly challenging for top 4
Agree Murray and Jones. Management will find a way to include Sloane.

I always enjoy your thoughtful posts but in this case, we have different views.

Luck for missing a set shot is a minute factor. Luck is an uncontrollable factor like a strange bounce from a scrambled bouncing ball. Sometimes it bounces your way and then against you. Set shots which fail to score a goal are completely in the control of the kicker. With a pure strike on the perfect line, it's not luck which scores the goal. A near miss (hit the post) is a near miss, not unlucky as the ball actually went exactly where it was kicked to. It's harsh but is fundamentally, a skill error.

Your first point about pressure due to team mates ineptitude I feel is quite a stretch. However, if true, it can join the long list of potential external pressures which can affect a not focussed athlete. Some of these, amongst hundreds of others, might be the scoreboard, weather conditions, a hostile crowd, a fight with your girlfriend or the family dog dropping dead last night. These type of pressures are real but can be minimised by professional sports psychologists.

The proper answer cannot be accurately determined from a bigfooty chat but I hope the club does whatever it needs to for a better 2024 conversation rate in front of goal.
Thanks for the polite agreeing to disagree. I could do with a few more of that over the years!
I’m not really arguing with your overall stance on the need to improve our goal kicking. I’m probably one of the biggest advocate of that this year!

My take overall is that it’s likely to be a big psychological component to some of those games. The simple fact that in other games with big wins, we usually kick more goals than behinds, suggests our general goal kicking isn’t too bad. Otherwise, if poor technique in the kicking is the major factor, then we should be seeing bad scoring games consistently throughout the whole season. My recent posts on this thread is just throwing up some possibilities as to the “why?”

Back