Player Watch Lachie Schultz

Remove this Banner Ad

Hawthorn is getting smashed but Hawks supporters are effusive in their paise of Ginnivan. Unlike Schulz, he doesn't seem to need those around him playing well to be very effective himself.
Hawks supporters are clearly over compensating because Jack now wears a Hawthorn jumper. They don't see him ducking anymore either.

Hawks supporters are clearly over compensating because Jack now wears a Hawthorn jumper. They don't see him ducking anymore either.
They love him!!! They absolutely love him! They couldn't be more grateful that we handed him to them on a silver platter for a gold coin donation. Just wait till the end of year when our first round pick would have bought some strapping young CHF or pacy midfielder capable of ripping teams apart, but instead we're rebuilding on the best we could get for a dull 2nd round draft prick.

Hawthorn is getting smashed but Hawks supporters are effusive in their paise of Ginnivan. Unlike Schulz, he doesn't seem to need those around him playing well to be very effective himself.

Fair point.

Schultz hasn't been bad but has come to the club carrying much higher expectations.

Ginni might be going great for Hawthorn but he didn't set the world on fire at Collingwood last year and capped his season with a crap GF performance.

Playing for Collingwood is not the same as playing for Hawthorn.

Fair point.

Schultz hasn't been bad but has come to the club carrying much higher expectations.

Ginni might be going great for Hawthorn but he didn't set the world on fire at Collingwood last year and capped his season with a crap GF performance.

True. But you can also say that having a top 1st round draft pick when you're in desperate need of top calibre talent is not the same as not having one.

True. But you can also say that having a top 1st round draft pick when you're in desperate need of top calibre talent is not the same as not having one.

I might argue that if Dan McStay was fit and our stars were firing we'd be feeling warm-n-fuzzy about our lot without any urgent need for top-calibre talent.

Schultz is a replacement for Billy and when Pendles, Steele, and Howe go we'll free up money to bring more good players in.

My glass is 1/2 full, comrade. :)

I might argue that if Dan McStay was fit and our stars were firing we'd be feeling warm-n-fuzzy about our lot without any urgent need for top-calibre talent.

Schultz is a replacement for Billy and when Pendles, Steele, and Howe go we'll free up money to bring more good players in.

My glass is 1/2 full, comrade. :)
It's not just McStay but also Murphy. Two key players missing from each end was never going to make it easy to go back to back.

It's not just McStay but also Murphy. Two key players missing from each end was never going to make it easy to go back to back.

Murph's absence is enormous, especially given what Moore and Howe have been serving up.

No one stays on top forever but there are still 21 rounds to go. The Pies can still finish strong and I believe they will; potentially with Murph and Dan back in the side.

Murph's absence is enormous, especially given what Moore and Howe have been serving up.

No one stays on top forever but there are still 21 rounds to go. The Pies can still finish strong and I believe they will; potentially with Murph and Dan back in the side.
I wonder how the potential absence of both players for the year impacted the player group. Perhaps like me they gave up the fight on the basis that losing these two was more than the team structure could bear. Thankfully I am not coach or we'd have lost the first 3 games by a lot more.

I wonder how the potential absence of both players for the year impacted the player group. Perhaps like me they gave up the fight on the basis that losing these two was more than the team structure could bear. Thankfully I am not coach or we'd have lost the first 3 games by a lot more.
If you were coach TGG Schultz would be on trial at the Nuremberg court 😂

( I say this in jest of course) 😄

I still have us odds on to win the flag.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting stuff. I think you're getting really sucked into the grass being greener on the other side.

Schultz was better than Stengle, Stringer, Zuurhaar, Weightman, Pickett, & Hill last season. Could probably argue a few more. Let alone the guys who may one day be on his level, some with 0 games played.

Last season? Maybe take a look at their career averages where all of them, despite being mostly younger, average way more goals than Schultz. The only exception is Hill and tell me one Collingwood supporter that would trade Hill for Schultz?

I'm including the top 10 draft picks that have hardly played yet because half the list of ~100 you want to refer to are draftees/rookies that aren't yet entrenched in the best 22. Talk about moving the goalposts... Including draftees and guys that have barely played a game in the list of 100 to justify your top 10-15% claim but refusing to compare their value directly against Schultz...

If you want to exclude those guys, you have a list of ~50 and again there's no way Schultz is a top 7 forward in a list of best 22 small forwards.

Fair point.

Schultz is carrying much higher expectations not because he's playing for Collingwood instead of Hawthorn. He's carrying much higher expectations because we traded a first round pick (where there's now a real risk it could be top 10 this year) plus pick 33 for him whilst Ginnivan was given away for a packet of chips.

To be clear, Schultz isn't even playing poorly. He's playing exactly as expected which is as a small forward playing a role that chips in for a goal or two a game. He's doing his job similar to Ginnivan at the Hawks. It's just that in no world should that have been worth a first round pick and a pick 33.

Fair point.

Ginni's job is to kick goals not do party tricks on the member's wing. He has kicked two in two games. He is a very smart footballer but he has zero defensive ability. Schultzy will get better offensively and has already shown how good he is with the one percenters and sacrificial acts.

Schultz is carrying much higher expectations not because he's playing for Collingwood instead of Hawthorn. He's carrying much higher expectations because we traded a first round pick (where there's now a real risk it could be top 10 this year) plus pick 33 for him whilst Ginnivan was given away for a packet of chips.

To be clear, Schultz isn't even playing poorly. He's playing exactly as expected which is as a small forward playing a role that chips in for a goal or two a game. He's doing his job similar to Ginnivan at the Hawks. It's just that in no world should that have been worth a first round pick and a pick 33.
None of us thought for a moment we would be looking so bad after three games. All of us were contemplating another top four finish at a minimum. It's easy to be wise in hindsight, but it's a long season and there are many more ups and downs to ride. Hopefully we can attract a quality player from another club over the next preseason. I'm sure Wrighty and the boys have plans and targets in mind.

I love how you have used two different types of chips. Pure genius!

None of us thought for a moment we would be looking so bad after three games. All of us were contemplating another top four finish at a minimum. It's easy to be wise in hindsight, but it's a long season and there are many more ups and downs to ride. Hopefully we can attract a quality player from another club over the next preseason. I'm sure Wrighty and the boys have plans and targets in mind.
Sure none of us thought we'd look this bad. But it's also a clear risk when you trade a future 1st otherwise why would Freo have asked for that instead. We didn't learn from the 2020 trade at all.

Regardless a first even if late and a second round is overs for good honest players like Schultz.

Sure none of us thought we'd look this bad. But it's also a clear risk when you trade a future 1st otherwise why would Freo have asked for that instead. We didn't learn from the 2020 trade at all.

Regardless a first even if late and a second round is overs for good honest players like Schultz.
I rate David King and he called it the best pick up of the summer.

Really? The Hawks supporters I know claim he doesn't defend or run and has got a lot of easy kicks. His opponent has been in the best both games and he has not laid a tackle this year. Schultz has 10. Otherwise their stats are similar

On SM-N975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Really? The Hawks supporters I know claim he doesn't defend or run and has got a lot of easy kicks. His opponent has been in the best both games and he has not laid a tackle this year. Schultz has 10. Otherwise their stats are similar

Ginni will always be a premiership player. And I wish him all the best.

But we got rid of him for many reasons (mostly off field), and on field weaknesses of speed, and defence.

I’ve watched both hawks games. His role at hawks is different. He’s pushing up more for easy touches. But inside 50 he’s still the same. Doesn’t tackle, or pressure, is slow, and sits at the back waiting for a handball ( he did this all day) He doesn’t get the ball himself and rarely chases.

A good small forward is one who does just as much without the ball as he does with. Ginni lacks this. If we could clone Ginny and mccreery we’d have an elite small. They are almost polar opposites.

All only my observations of course

Last season? Maybe take a look at their career averages where all of them, despite being mostly younger, average way more goals than Schultz. The only exception is Hill and tell me one Collingwood supporter that would trade Hill for Schultz?

I'm including the top 10 draft picks that have hardly played yet because half the list of ~100 you want to refer to are draftees/rookies that aren't yet entrenched in the best 22. Talk about moving the goalposts... Including draftees and guys that have barely played a game in the list of 100 to justify your top 10-15% claim but refusing to compare their value directly against Schultz...

If you want to exclude those guys, you have a list of ~50 and again there's no way Schultz is a top 7 forward in a list of best 22 small forwards.
Why would career averages make sense? We didn’t value him as we did because of his career, we valued him that way because of his excellent previous 2 seasons. Schultz was a late pickup and a late bloomer once drafted

Schultz is not playing as well as expected, along with the rest of the side. This is what's colouring your view. They've lost 3 straight, and you're reflecting on Collingwood's 2023 recruiting decisions as if our circumstances were like North Melbourne's.

You're not taking last year into account nor are you considering that there are 21 rounds to go in '24.

You've gone early on this and you're basing your view on just 3 weeks. They've been shitful weeks, but it's only 3.

I say we wait a bit before passing judgement.

Ginni will always be a premiership player. And I wish him all the best.

But we got rid of him for many reasons (mostly off field), and on field weaknesses of speed, and defence.

I’ve watched both hawks games. His role at hawks is different. He’s pushing up more for easy touches. But inside 50 he’s still the same. Doesn’t tackle, or pressure, is slow, and sits at the back waiting for a handball ( he did this all day) He doesn’t get the ball himself and rarely chases.

A good small forward is one who does just as much without the ball as he does with. Ginni lacks this. If we could clone Ginny and mccreery we’d have an elite small. They are almost polar opposites.

All only my observations of course
That's the same feedback I have received from my Hawks loving friends.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back