The Stadium!

What kind of stadium do you want?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

When you look at all the stadium carry on in Queensland for the "two dollar shop" Olympics things seem to be going very smoothly here in comparison ;)
I haven't been following this, despite living in Queensland.
The bit I did read mentioned a Gabba upgrade for $2.7 bil. and a new stadium nearby for around $3 bil.

Do you think the MacPoint stadium is really buildable for $700 mil. ?

I think the design is too small and will end up costing way overs.

I haven't been following this, despite living in Queensland.
The bit I did read mentioned a Gabba upgrade for $2.7 bil. and a new stadium nearby for around $3 bil.

Do you think the MacPoint stadium is really buildable for $700 mil. ?

I think the design is too small and will end up costing way overs.

Agree about the size but better to have a full smaller stadium against a half full larger one, there will be many games against sides who have few supporters that turn up even at home let alone flying away. There is no way it will cost 750M, all projects blow out, but at least it will be legacy infrastructure in terms of venues and transport hubs within the city for at least 20 years.

From what I can tell the QLD plan is to slap lipstick on a pig, try and keep the aging QSAC and GABBA relevant until after the games (still for billions of wasted dollars) and leave the question of fit for purpose stadiums for future governments to deal with. I understand this position due to the cost of living problems we all face but what cost to the future?

Agree about the size but better to have a full smaller stadium against a half full larger one, there will be many games against sides who have few supporters that turn up even at home let alone flying away. There is no way it will cost 750M, all projects blow out, but at least it will be legacy infrastructure in terms of venues and transport hubs within the city for at least 20 years.

From what I can tell the QLD plan is to slap lipstick on a pig, try and keep the aging QSAC and GABBA relevant until after the games (still for billions of wasted dollars) and leave the question of fit for purpose stadiums for future governments to deal with. I understand this position due to the cost of living problems we all face but what cost to the future?
Roof or no roof?

Call me 'old fashioned", but I prefer to stand at footy games.
Standing room areas would be a way of increasing capacity at low cost.

How does a roof get built on a Stadium that is only 23k? I've heard other say this and It's not a stupid question?

Does that mean the stands have to go higher instead of more rows? imagine the ball hitting the roof cause it's only 25-30 meters high.

How does a roof get built on a Stadium that is only 23k? I've heard other say this and It's not a stupid question?

Does that mean the stands have to go higher instead of more rows? imagine the ball hitting the roof cause it's only 25-30 meters high.
Despite it being a smaller capacity venue, I recall hearing that the plan is for the design to include a roof that is the same height as Marvel. The roof will be Perspex, which is completely different to Marvel’s roof. It will be more light weight and so they will find a way to ensure that it sits high enough above the surface. You can see that they’ve been able to achieve this with the Perspex roof at Forsyth Barr stadium in Dunedin.

Attachments

• A9739366-BF44-4053-B690-CF782CC02EA2.jpeg
    A9739366-BF44-4053-B690-CF782CC02EA2.jpeg
    72.8 KB · Views: 34
So the election result is good for the stadium?
Not the best possible result (Liberal majority win), nor the worst (Labor win). The POSS process and parliamentary vote on the stadium won’t conclude until early next year, so we’ll have to play the waiting game until then. You’d assume the Premier is trying to sure up enough support for the stadium as he forms his minority Government; however, he’ll have to make some concessions in order to achieve this.

Does the roof not need to be retractable?
No, won't be retractable. The material that will be used is called ETFE (Ethylene Tetrafluoroethylene). Not only is it cheaper and lighter to alternatives, but also lets in more sunlight than other transparent options, which will benefit the turf.

Cop this load of the bullshit from Woodruff - "People were devastated that a government would choose to spend over a billion dollars on a stadium in Hobart that we don’t need,” Woodruff told ABC Radio.
Laughable.

Cop this load of the bullshit from Woodruff - "People were devastated that a government would choose to spend over a billion dollars on a stadium in Hobart that we don’t need,” Woodruff told ABC Radio.
Laughable.
The stadium is in big trouble if the liberals have to get support from the greens and jlp. I'm a northerner myself but the whole viability of the team goes out the door if they base it here in Launceston.

Laughable.
If the Tasmanian government doesn't want to pay, the AFL has an equal right to also not want to pay for the AFL team. The AFL has been nothing but unambiguously clear right from the start of the bidding process that there has to be a premium stadium in Tasmania, and the Tasmanian bidders have understood that the AFL is reasonable in their request for asking so.

It's just deceptive - or lying by admission - by politicians to leave out the fact that any change in a new stadium will simply mean no Tasmanian team. I suppose it's what we expect from politicians (of all persuasions), but if I was a Tasmanian who had more of a passing awareness of it from the AFL, I would be very annoyed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If the Tasmanian government doesn't want to pay, the AFL has an equal right to also not want to pay for the AFL team. The AFL has been nothing but unambiguously clear right from the start of the bidding process that there has to be a premium stadium in Tasmania, and the Tasmanian bidders have understood that the AFL is reasonable in their request for asking so.

It's just deceptive - or lying by admission - by politicians to leave out the fact that any change in a new stadium will simply mean no Tasmanian team. I suppose it's what we expect from politicians (of all persuasions), but if I was a Tasmanian who had more of a passing awareness of it from the AFL, I would be very annoyed.
They clearly don't understand that the whole viability of the team is dependent on the stadium.

Last edited:
I believe a lot of swinging voters voted LNP just because they are footy fanatics and voted more for the stadium, than the party.
The result of not gaining enough votes to govern in their own right strongly indicates that there is major anti-stadium(not anti- AFL) sentiment in Tasmania.

Don't think $715 mil. will be the final price either.

I believe a lot of swinging voters voted LNP just because they are footy fanatics and voted more for the stadium, than the party.
The result of not gaining enough votes to govern in their own right strongly indicates that there is major anti-stadium(not anti- AFL) sentiment in Tasmania.

Don't think $715 mil. will be the final price either.
If you look on social media it seems like they're is a lot of anti stadium people in Tasmania and definitely have heard from a lot that are for the team but not stadium. The people that think we can have a team without a stadium obviously don't understand that the whole viability of the team will go downhill without it.

If you look on social media it seems like they're is a lot of anti stadium people in Tasmania and definitely have heard from a lot that are for the team but not stadium. The people that think we can have a team without a stadium obviously don't understand that the whole viability of the team will go downhill without it.
Which is possibly because they've been deceived by politicians who have made the statement about the options of having a team without the stadium. I don't really blame the individuals as much as the politicians who almost certainly would have been briefed on the AFL's position (either that or political leaders are just incompetent fools).

It is quite possible that the AFL are bluffing about refusing to concede in any areas regarding the stadium.
Yes they will definitely re-negotiate some of it if push come to shove. They arent going to want the huge hit to their brand if they pull out of the Tasmanian team over something minor. I dont think they will budge on a "roofed stadium in Hobart". But other parts of the deal they may budge on.

Yes they will definitely re-negotiate some of it if push come to shove. They arent going to want the huge hit to their brand if they pull out of the Tasmanian team over something minor. I dont think they will budge on a "roofed stadium in Hobart". But other parts of the deal they may budge on.
All the teams voted for a tassie team on the condition we build a stadium and the whole team becomes unviable without the stadium so a stadium is non negotiable in my opinion.

All the teams voted for a tassie team on the condition we build a stadium and the whole team becomes unviable without the stadium so a stadium is non negotiable in my opinion.
In that case if agreement can't be reached on the stadium then the afl should just walk away and seek compensation for costs and damages

Back