Autopsy Round 3, 2024: Essendon v St.Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

I humbly retract my crouch comments, haven’t seen that he was so badly injured.

I think we’re on the same page, the midfield was terrible against a very ordinary side.
In total agreement about midfield .

But not surprising as thought we poor in practice matches and vs Geelong

For a 'go-to' player Bonner's decision making is atrocious man

17 turnovers wtf lol
After his supposedly impressive off season I asked my Port supporter mate why he got delisted. His response was straight to the point "he's weak as f**king piss and turns to over with any pressure". Besides that courageous mark he took I think third quarter, pretty much everything else today confirmed those comments

You could tell we panicked in the last. Slowed it down when we should have gone quick and went quick when we should have slowed it down. That'll come with more experience from our young core.

I said it before and I'll say it again. Making a debutant come into the game in the 4th quarter, especially in a tight game, (see Collard/Hastie) is the wrong move. He didn't look too bad, but you could tell the game was a bit quick for him. Give our debutants 3 quarters to build into the game.

Windhager a bit too defensive this week. Needed to show the flair he did against the pies.

Owens needs to hire Harry McKay's goal kicking coach, he's turned it around this year. If he's going to be getting several set shots a game he needs to nail them!

I am so proud of the strides our club is taken toward a new era. new talent, better gameplan and we're in pretty much every game.

Crouch being out made the decision around our midfield fairly simple in the short term...but the question around Steele is still there.

Can he lead us in the way we need him to? When the game closes up, who can we count on?
It's a consistent question, and it hasn't been answered yet.
This, 100%
I don't think, and haven't thought for quite some time, that he is up to it.
A leader, perhaps...
Captain, No.

Lots of talk about the points we kicked. But that’s completely overlooking the 4-5 shots which didn’t even score.

Bonner has become a whipping boy, and whip I will. Disgraceful blazing away.

Without King, we are rudderless ahead of the ball and our inside 50s turn to crap.

That’s as disappointing a loss as there comes. They bite you by the end of the season.

It was always a danger given how many young players we were playing, but to lose in that fashion is so disappointing.

And we deserved to lose after that horrible last quarter.

Butler may have been an obvious selection, but it was a safe selection. He has more experience but is underdone and not in form. I don't think he impacted today's game at all. Collard and Hastie have been sent into a cauldron for one quarter each, but I believe (based on this year so far) that Collard, Garcia, Hastie or even Arie would've given more over a full game than what Butler gave today.

Look at the start of last year, the kids carried us for the first month or so.

It's a bit like Crouch in round 1, sometimes the safe option can backfire. I'd rather be brave and stuff up than be safe and get the same result.

Those guys are barely even noticeable at VFL level.
We'll never know the answer, but i think your wrong.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If the umps did their job, oh God man you need to get a grip, I'm guessing you will give me a week off for this
I’m usually one of the first to blame the umps, but tbh don’t think they had all that much of a say. Did miss some, but probably both ways.

As I feared at half time those Webster and King suspensions probably cost us a win, with them in the team we probably win that game.

They have a lot to make up for when they return, King needs to kick Plugger style bags and Webster needs to play like a peak Luke Hodge.

I can cop injuries, that's not those players fault but getting suspended when we are short on numbers in unforgiveable.
I'll give you Webster's uncharacteristic hit, that was an epic brain fart; and made JWeb look stupid, but King's suspension was just knee jerk shite by that ex Magpie tool, and the tribunal. At most it should have been a fine.

Well at least I got the tip right.

Can have all the speed in the world but you need blokes who can use the ball and put their head over the ball and not worry about contact.
Would have been nice had we not fluffed around with it.
We seem to like to burn/ignore our young blokes when free. It was Wilson's turn this week. Made plenty of runs into space and not utilised at all!

I know Bonner is the scapegoat but he had plenty of mates.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Three quarters of our team were poor today.

Roma could have been BOG, but butchered the ball all game.

If there was one piece of play that summed up our game, it was Roma's Banana Kick at goal. Since when he is a Banana Kick Maestro?

He should have just gone back and slotted it like normal.

That bit of play was what three quarters of our team just dished up all night. Poor decisions, poor execution, fumbles and general lack of team play. It was like they were all out for a lark.

Last edited:
We were f**king awful, I hope RTB blow torches every player out there.

Struggling for any positivity outside of Marshall. We generally lose to Essendon, this was par for the course

Remove this Banner Ad

Back