Opinion Tanking. The elephant that isn't going away

Remove this Banner Ad

Tanking got hawks the 2008 then the 2013-5 flags

I challenge anyone. Hawks didn’t tank into this position now and they didn’t back then in fact they were prelim finalists in 2001.

As a freo fan you’ll know that they threatened hawks with mcpharlin to the pre season draft if they didn’t do a trade.

Then after that lost the pick in PSD due to irregularities

I challenge anyone. Hawks didn’t tank into this position now and they didn’t back then in fact they were prelim finalists in 2001.

As a freo fan you’ll know that they threatened hawks with mcpharlin to the pre season draft if they didn’t do a trade.

Hawthorn tanked to get Hodge didn't they?

North now under fire for winning that game, condemned for not tanking.

So you constantly bash Freo for being low scoring, despite pummeling your mob in 2022 in Docklands.

Now you are defacating on North Melbourne. Classy person you are.

I hope North Melbourne wins another flag before Essendon wins another final

So you constantly bash Freo for being low scoring, despite pummeling your mob in 2022 in Docklands.
You're hanging your hat on some 2 year old game? Really says alot about Freo.

So you constantly bash Freo for being low scoring

As literally every single AFL related show has done so far this week.

Now you are defacating on North Melbourne.

I am mentioning views I saw in the media. I am not attacking North in any way.

Last edited:
Tanked to a prelim final!

We then traded Croad and McPharlin to Freo for their pick 1 which we used on Hodge, pick 20 which I can't remember what we did with and pick 36 which we used on Mitchell. Then we got Croad back a few years later for next to nothing.
Daniel Elstone was pick 20.

On SM-S918B using BigFooty.com mobile app

The footy media is at risk of severe whiplash at the speed they switch agendas.

‘Tanking bad! Blight on game!’
‘One player won’t fix a club!’

‘Harley good! Why you no tank NM?! Are you stupid?!?’
‘Should have tanked for Harley, winning is quickly forgotten, Harley is forever!’

‘Should have tanked for Harley, winning is quickly forgotten, Harley is forever!’

Knowing what we now know about tanking over the past couple of decades, player selections for the game v GC, and questionable in-game tactics would've been obvious to everyone.

And a coach/club can't direct its players to play poorly/lose. It's not in the DNA of an elite footballer, and would've caused far more problems for the club over the pre-season and now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Exactly. Prelim in 2001, realised they weren't good enough and plowed down the ladder. You don't go from 2 kicks from a grand final to completely irrelevant without serious injuries or a desire to collect picks.

I just figure that it is just another reason to kick North.

"North should be winning and doing everything they can to win games of football'

"except that game, they should have lost that game"

If journos couldn't kick us they wouldn't talk about North at all.

Knowing what we now know about tanking over the past couple of decades, player selections for the game v GC, and questionable in-game tactics would've been obvious to everyone.

And a coach/club can't direct its players to play poorly/lose. It's not in the DNA of an elite footballer, and would've caused far more problems for the club over the pre-season and now.
It's common for players to be 'put in for medicals early to get them right for pre-season' in the later rounds, if a team is obviously not going to make the finals.

Not saying North should have tanked, but they could have spun it like that if they'd needed to.

One aspect of this is it truly is the AFLs fault. They didnt reward North for winning this game and bringing integrity to the game. The fix to the issue was simple

Give North pick 3 on the idea they MUST trade it then pick 4 for McKay

North trade picks 2,3 and 18 for pick 1 which Eagles would have done and then we go on our merry way with North doing the deal they want (pick 2 and 18) and Eagles getting the compensation we wanted by being able to get both McKercher, Curtin and then someone else like Hardeman with 18

In saying that im happier with just Reid myself then that 2,3,18 deal so in a sense maybe the AFL saved the Eagles but screwed North ?

Im tempted to legitimately like make a Thank You card and post it to North Melbourne

I genuinely think they deserve it
In sport we have an obsession of focusing on the last two minutes and how that apparently decided the game, whilst ignoring the 20 fkups that came before it.

A goal conceded in the last minute has the same value as a goal at the start. Point being, had North's third win come anytime before the last round then you simply wouldn't have posted this.

Which leaves us with the posts only underlying purpose... your grasp at some positivity, a deflection and your minds attempt to forget that in the end your great club won the spoon.

They talked about Reid everyday on end but still managed to underrate him it appears.

That is the fail here . They just trying to save face as opposed to admit they were wrong

In sport we have an obsession of focusing on the last two minutes and how that apparently decided the game, whilst ignoring the 20 fkups that came before it.

A goal conceded in the last minute has the same value as a goal at the start. Point being, had North's third win come anytime before the last round then you simply wouldn't have posted this.

Which leaves us with the posts only underlying purpose... your grasp at some positivity, a deflection and your minds attempt to forget that in the end your great club won the spoon.
Brutal truth is the 2018 flag is so fresh in our minds, the spoon seems less relevant to us Eagles fans. Its actually not a good thing as a whole because club got a bit comfortable and lazy because of that same mindset

Yep, like clockwork

Exactly. Prelim in 2001, realised they weren't good enough and plowed down the ladder. You don't go from 2 kicks from a grand final to completely irrelevant without serious injuries or a desire to collect picks.

Missed finals by a whisker in 2002. All the talls broke down for one reason or another.
Croad and hay were as good as any kpd pair before that

Not correct . There is less time left to reverse the trend.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back