Which Grand Final or Big Final was the '' one that got away '' For your Team?

Remove this Banner Ad

PowerfulPies2023

Club Legend
Oct 5, 2023
AFL Club
Collingwood
Not a story about your ex. But a Flag that you felt was yours, but you let it slip.

From a Collingwood perspective I feel 2002 and 2018 we could have really had. Certainly 2018 leading for almost all of the game only to give up that goal to Sheed at the end. The Eagles finished the better side to be fair and missed several opportunities leading up to that moment. But the start we had and being up in the last until the Sheed kick, one we let slip for sure. 2002 was also there for the taking and could have gone either way. But The Lions just had that little bit more in them. Voss and Lappin were immense and Aka's goal at the end, freakish.

Which big finals match is one that you felt really slipped out of your teams hands?

Que Mick McGuane jokes here.

For Carlton it is 1994.

Beat eventual premier West Coast by 10 goals in the third last game to take top spot. Beat Richmond by 120 the following week.

Then just... stopped... blew top spot with a loss to non-finals Essendon. Lost by 5 goals to 7th placed Melbourne in finals wk 1. Lost by 5 goals to a Geelong team that was missing basically its whole midfield. Didn't even make the prelim.

That same team went 23-2 the following year and was just utterly dominant. It was just a mind boggling loss of form. Greg Williams missed the Essendon game but beyond that there wasnt really any injuries or issues.

I thought you were home when Buddy had that shot he thought was home in the last
Australian football is a game of momentum swings, and that was a game of momentum swings the likes of which I’ve never seen before or since…
They capitalised on our poor kicking, just like we did in 08, and they had that momentum when it counted…

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apart from the 2013 grand final I’d say either 2006 or 2015 preliminary finals.

Interestingly our opponents in both of the grand finals would have been West Coast.
It makes you wonder if freo managed to overcome the swans in the 06 prelim, they could’ve started as favourites against the eagles being a neutral venue and their form against us in 06. Thrashed us 5 weeks earlier and pav was in peak pav form.

It makes you wonder if freo managed to overcome the swans in the 06 prelim, they could’ve started as favourites against the eagles being a neutral venue and their form against us in 06. Thrashed us 5 weeks earlier and pav was in peak pav form.
I’ve often wondered this. I know 2013 is the obvious one with Freo but I feel like 2006 was a massive opportunity lost. Although having said that, West Coast had grand final experience from 12 months prior so who knows if home and away form would have had much bearing on the result.

People say 2009 or 2010 for Saints but the one that really there should not have been any question about was 1997. Missed Peter Everitt and then had to cope with probably the worst game day coaching ever witnessed in a VFL/AFL game with Jamie Shanahan left one out with Darren Jarmen in the forward 50 for almost an entire quarter.

Brisbane would have blown us off the park, but if Trent Croad's poster had gone through for a goal and we beat Essendon in the 2001 preliminary final, I do wonder how that 'lowly' period of time looks historically as a Hawks supporter.

We lament our 17 year drought which yielded a near-merger and many bottom 4 finishes, but an unlikely Grand Final appearance bang in the middle of it probably elevates it in the mind somewhat.

Hmm not very many for us recently but I’d say the north v Richmond 2015 EF which I went to. We choked it hard and Boomer tore us up after half time.
How about the 2022 EF? Can't believe you've already forgotten it. Lynch had a chance to seal the game but completely shanked what should have been a textbook goal for a key forward, and then 5 Tiger defenders stood around idly as Joe Daniher kicked the winning goal.

1979 & 1981 WAFL Grand Finals. 81 in particular.

Oh yeah, that too.
Nah. Claremont lost 2 games all year in 81. Including finals. Mind you, South kicked terribly in the GF.

Def 2010 for me. Andrew Krakour stole it.

In AFL, probably 06. Freo played like poo v Sydney but still only lost by a relatively small margin. If they turned up that day they play Eagles in the GF - who Freo had just beaten by 10 goals. Would have walked it in.

How about the 2022 EF? Can't believe you've already forgotten it. Lynch had a chance to seal the game but completely shanked what should have been a textbook goal for a key forward, and then 5 Tiger defenders stood around idly as Joe Daniher kicked the winning goal.
Oh yeah true, that as well

1998 - It should have been over by halftime, but we shot ourselves in the foot kicking 6.15 and it was enough to give the Crows a sniff.
The positive, though, the Roos redeemed themselves by winning the 99 Premiership

For Carlton it is 1994.

Beat eventual premier West Coast by 10 goals in the third last game to take top spot. Beat Richmond by 120 the following week.

Then just... stopped... blew top spot with a loss to non-finals Essendon. Lost by 5 goals to 7th placed Melbourne in finals wk 1. Lost by 5 goals to a Geelong team that was missing basically its whole midfield. Didn't even make the prelim.

That same team went 23-2 the following year and was just utterly dominant. It was just a mind boggling loss of form. Greg Williams missed the Essendon game but beyond that there wasnt really any injuries or issues.
Agreed mate. A big '' WTF '' moment from The Blue Baggers. 1992 and 2022 similar things where you lost your last couple to miss the finals. It just clicked right now that all those years the Cats made The Grand Final. Funnily enough, the next year after that capitulation in 1994, you beat them in the Grand Final. That 1994 final against the Dees I remember a rampant David Schwarz and Sean Charles each kicked 5. The Geelong semi no idea. Those players missing, yet nothing from Carlton and everything from Geelong. Holy * did you get some mad revenge though the next year.

Not trying to be a dog but in 92 when you missed out we beat you then West Coast did. You missed out by percentage. Obviously in 2022 The Dees got ya then we did with Elliot kicking that winning goal. Why didn't that guy just go long to the top of the square when you needed only a point instead of going to the pocket? Clearly not aware of the permutations. But in 1992 I thought you guys were a very good side and very, very dangerous. And you made the Granny the next year too, just like in 95 after slipping away at the end.

Silvagni had some great, ripping matches at Full Forward in 1992. Not sure if it was 93 or 94 where he kicked 10 goals in the 2nd half at Full Forward against Fitzroy after he started the first half playing at Full Back. Man I loved Stephen Silvagni. Full Back of The Century for sure. To go by his side, The Queen and Beauty on Sale of The Century lol.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back