Blue1980

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 9, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal
Is this the most useless saying in commentary? I remember as far back as 1990 commentators saying it. What is their point of reference? When was 5 goals a lot? In theory wasnt a 5 goal deficit easier to bring in 30-40 years ago as it was higher scoring?

Also what are some other useless commentary cliches?

Is this the most useless saying in commentary? I remember as far back as 1990 commentators saying it. What is their point of reference? When was 5 goals a lot? In theory wasnt a 5 goal deficit easier to bring in 30-40 years ago as it was higher scoring?

Given how poor so many players are at kicking goals and how low scoring so many games are, its far less likely for teams these days to come from a long way behind.

Anyone else notice when an Irish player gets the ball they always have to mention he's Irish in some way? Should have a drink of Guiness everytime that happens.

"Just needs to think his way through it..." - I don't know when this became such a stock-standard commentary phrase, but I hear it about 3 times every game now and I'm sick of it.

"They need to lower their eyes a bit more going forward..." - As if there's always a player standing by himself inside 50 that they'd be able to target if only they weren't looking at the sky so often.

"You feel like they need to start taking some risks now..." - Offered as advice without fail when a team is trailing in the last quarter.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Most games are over when one team is 5 goals up. I usually see it as a point of no return, when it's a contender/great side who has that lead. Of course there's a lot of anomalies, but usually it's the inexperienced or inconsistent teams who blow a 5 goal lead.

"Just needs to think his way through it..." - I don't know when this became such a stock-standard commentary phrase, but I hear it about 3 times every game now and I'm sick of it.

"They need to lower their eyes a bit more going forward..." - As if there's always a player standing by himself inside 50 that they'd be able to target if only they weren't looking at the sky so often.

"You feel like they need to start taking some risks now..." - Offered as advice without fail when a team is trailing in the last quarter.
But being creative in commentary is probably not that easy. In the end somehow pretty much the same things happen every game. Not everybody is Jack Dyer...

It's probably like plaiyng in a band playing 100 gigs a years. Not that easy to come up with innovative phrases on stage each day. So you use the same stuff every night...

But being creative in commentary is probably not that easy. In the end somehow pretty much the same things happen every game. Not everybody is Jack Dyer...

It's probably like plaiyng in a band playing 100 gigs a years. Not that easy to come up with innovative phrases on stage each day. So you use the same stuff every night...

The irony is they probably don't realise they'd do a much better job if they didn't try and make it memorable or innovative.

I really struggle to think of one "phrase" that Peter Landy or Sandy Roberts or Drew Morphett said. Not one. They just called the game and did NOT try to be the stars. Hence they were much, much better and far easier to listen to.

The irony is they probably don't realise they'd do a much better job if they didn't try and make it memorable or innovative.

I really struggle to think of one "phrase" that Peter Landy or Sandy Roberts or Drew Morphett said. Not one. They just called the game and did NOT try to be the stars. Hence they were much, much better and far easier to listen to.

Just call the game rather than rattling cliches could be an option, you are correct.

But the 5 goals isn’t much in modern day football is so stupid, as I don’t know why it’s any easier now than it was in 1973 or 1983 to overcome a largish deficit.

Just call the game rather than rattling cliches could be an option, you are correct.

But the 5 goals isn’t much in modern day football is so stupid, as I don’t know why it’s any easier now than it was in 1973 or 1983 to overcome a largish deficit.

I think it's reasonable to say that in 1973 it was pretty unusual to lose from that margin, although of course it happened.

But once the "modern" play on game got going, and it was by the mid-to-late 1980s, from then on it's been a very gettable margin.

5 goals is more in modern footy.

When I was watching footy in the 90s it was nothing but these days you rarely see sides bang on 5 goals quick time to come from behind and win

That St Kilda game in Sydney when Lockett went nuts in the last quarter and a 48 point lead or whatever it was got overturned in the last 12 minutes would never happen today.

In modern footy teams would put players behind the ball, keep possession, slow it down etc.

5 goals isn’t much in any era but it’s far easier to defend in modern footy compared to the “open” old days.

I think it's reasonable to say that in 1973 it was pretty unusual to lose from that margin, although of course it happened.

But once the "modern" play on game got going, and it was by the mid-to-late 1980s, from then on it's been a very gettable margin.

Scoring went up immediately after the on the full rule came in I think 1969?

Just checked average score in 1973 season was 95 points whereas 2023 it’s been 83 points, so I still stand by what I said.

If you go back to the 60s I’d then probably agree with you that it was harder to overcome a deficit then than now.

That St Kilda game in Sydney when Lockett went nuts in the last quarter and a 48 point lead or whatever it was got overturned in the last 12 minutes would never happen today.

In modern footy teams would put players behind the ball, keep possession, slow it down etc.

5 goals isn’t much in any era but it’s far easier to defend in modern footy compared to the “open” old days.

I’m trying to think of the largest 3 quarter time deficit a side has overturned in the last 4-5 years. Even last year when we blew it round 23, it was only a 4 goal lead.

We were 40 points down in the 2nd quarter v Gold Coast and were nearly level by half time, but that’s different to doing it in a short period to win a game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back