The Modern Era of Football

Remove this Banner Ad

In 100 years time, the narrative will be that the footy now was auskick level like we do now for 100 years ago.

'Modern era' will be just that then like it is now.

Personally I just think this idea that footy 100 years ago is moot is just that, moot.

Last edited:
That was Jeff Bruce.

Micky Nettlefold in the 1983 Qualifying Final is probably the most infamous and controversial DOOB. Sliding doors moment for the FFC.
I just watched the clip now. Absolutely laughable that was paid deliberate and in 1983! Wow. Sidebottom for Collingwood is a master of getting the ball over the line in exactjy the same manner and is never penalised lol
What made that incident worse was Tuck put on a 45 degree angle instead of 90 degrees! Sliding doors moment for sure
Also having watched the final Qtr, the umpiring was insipid all round. While the umpiring this season left a bit to be desired, it beats anything from that game. A dive given as a push in Haw’s favour as well

Last edited:

To me the modern era has to be at a minimum 2001, though more likely mid 2000's and I say this because of protessionalism and tactics. Back in the 90's tactics were still very simplistic and not well thought out. Proper tactics as we know them today have only really been around in the last 20 years.
Tactics were more individual based rather than team focussed. When they'd talk about a coach needing to "move the magnets" it was essentially putting players in different positions. Teams didnt really have a system of play.

I think deep down most people feel this way, they just don't want to admit it (E.g they barrack for Carlton and Essendon)

However, I can understand it could set a troubling precedent.

For instance, if we switch the flag count to AFL era only, and in 50 years we've got a 26 team competition, the same problems arise.

The rules will have changed, the game could be unrecognisable visually, while new methods that help or hinder clubs could be introduced (Like the salary cap and later free agency)

Hell we might even go global and have an AI as the CEO, unless anybody here has a Delorean we just don't know what it's going to look like.

Basically, all the same things that we denigrate flags prior to the AFL era for, could be true again in another half decade when we're saying flags being won right now are tainted.

It's an endless cycle, and we'll end up having to pick and choose which parts of history we want to remember. It's the same with Geelong's VFA flags.

We have to go all in or none at all IMO. Either count everything since the dawn of football (Including Port's premierships), or just set a precedent and say AFL era only.
Obviously if the game goes global then essendons 1993 flag vs carlton shouldnt compare with new yorks loss to ulaanbaatar in the 2076 world australian rules grand final.

but going global is the only equivalent to the change from vfl to afl.

A couple of options - Kanagaroos golden premiership in 1996 or the opening of Marvel Stadium in 2000 officially signalled the end to the old Victorian era of suburban football and start of modern football.

2000 is when modern football began for mine.

Last edited:
I share the opinion that the modern era is the AFL era - 14 teams, Brisbane, Sydney and West Coast were in place, Adelaide was about to be, and the league changed its name.
Yeah 1990 and the name change is an option...but nothing really changed from 1989 to 1990.

2000 when they opened Marvel a key event where it wasnt suburban VFL anymore - Waverley, Whitten Oval, Windy Hill, Vic Park, Moorabbin were all done

If someone could be bothered there is possibly a statistical measure that could be used. Something like the increased use of handball, increase in average distance run, increase in interchange numbers (not number of players on the bench), …
If I recall correctly, there was an article on afl.com.au about tackle and interchange numbers exploding around the same time, maybe 2000-2006.

Modern era began in 2021.

If to modernize is to bring new ideas or methods to change the game, then it is true that this modern era of football began in 2021.

The stand rule in particular took pressure out the game, so this is a very different game from the one that was being played until 2020, which was the end of an era, hence, modern era began in 2021.

So the premiership ladder in this modern era is,

1. Melbourne
1. Geelong
1. Collingwood

If I've missed any rule changes at the beginning of this season then the premiership ladder at the beginning of the modern era 2023 is,

1. Collingwood

It's a good question actually. The modern era keeps changing. Obviously. But many fail to see the obvious. The game was different in 1990, changing again in the 2000's and will keep changing just like life. We saw the game change in the Grand Final and I don't believe it was due to fatigue. The coaches like the players keep evolving too and they made the right adjustments. The first half was a shootout in today's era, especially for a final/Grand Final. Look at the Pies goals tally in the first two finals. We had that by half time. Fatigue did play some part yeah. But so did tactics.

In some ways yeah the Modern era for me was in 87 where the likes of WCE and Brizzy came into the league. Then obviously all the others. But footy today is even different to what it was 5 years ago.

Who would have thought WCE would fall away so quickly after winning a flag? But more so since that game against the Tige's in 2021 where JK kicked the winner. That was the end of both Eagles and Richmond for me. But at least Richmond made the 8 last year. Dusty and Richmond have fallen away fast after snaring 3 in 4 years and a prelim in the other. Things change and they change fast just like the Blues and Giants coming from nowhere at the half way point of this season. Look at the Cats. They looked great things to repeat or go close in season 2023 and they didn't even make the 8.

The Modern Era is right now.

1991 when the Crows came in. It was from that point forward that all the best players in Australia wanted to play in the AFL and every state that has a team now, had a team then. It was around that time that all players became full time professionals. The year before the VFL was rebadged the AFL.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1991 when the Crows came in. It was from that point forward that all the best players in Australia wanted to play in the AFL and every state that has a team now, had a team then. It was around that time that all players became full time professionals. The year before the VFL was rebadged the AFL.
In all seriousness, for a Victorian watching those packed house early crows games ..looking back it was a dawning of a new age. SA was now a part of the league and they had a super team of goers.
When Modra came in too it was essential viewing alone just to watch him play.

It's an interesting question. In terms of collective consciousness the 'modern era' for most probably begins a few years prior to the change from VFL to AFL when the Bears and Eagles joined.

An argument could probably be made for the advent of the 8 team finals series, either the McIntyre model or current, with the latter probably more persuasive which would put the modern era at everything post 2000 (also coincidentally the turn of the century).

If we're talking about what footy actually looks like the 'modern era' probably dates back to around the 2013-14 season as that is when the prevalence of the current team defence tactics really took over (at least in my memory). Games from earlier just don't look like footy does today for a variety of reasons tactically.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back