Best midfield ever?

Remove this Banner Ad

This thread gets a special place in my heart for someone mistaking Wikipedia for the voice of God.
I could literally change it to the "worst midfield ever" and it was stay online until someone wanted to read about Lappin again.

Still think the 1984 Geelong centre-line of G Ablett- G Williams - M Turner is the best centreline ever. Not sure about the best midfield because Brisbane didn't have a ruckman worth s*!t

Adelaide 97/98 went alright: Rehn, D Jarman, Ricciuto, McLeod / Goodwin / Bickley. That's some insane depth.

Last edited:

Bourke Barrett Clay
End thread TY.
I liked these blokes very much.
Barrett was completely unpredictable, a real joker in the pack, he did oppo heads in, could go forward and kick goals, may have been slightly mad, outrageous talent.

Clay is the under rated one, great mark and kick, good on the ground, a calm and sensible gentleman in an era of maniacs.

Bourke was a competitive monster, never stopped running chasing etc. Fearless and shy, how's that for a combo. Big game player, eventually became a premiership defender.

Which replays have you seen of each midfield? Just lie and quickly look up 20 matches on YouTube, it'll be easier.

I've never made such teams consisting of only players I haven't seen, no.

Good. Make sure you never mention Polly Farmers name under any circumstance. You didn’t see him play.

Also what year were you born? Since you like discussing age. From memory you were a baby when GAS retired. Bet you still talk about him though right?

Depends on the stats. You’ve given stats outside of the time periods we are discussing ffs.

No I haven’t. I’ve shown you Aker’s stats for the peak years, and I’ve shown you Johnson and Chapman’s stats for peak years.

Chapman averaged 20+ disposals every season 07-11. Akermanis only did it twice 00-04.

Johnson did it 2 times 07-11 and his ‘down’ years were still more prolific. Oh, and he always managed to kick more goals too….

So again I’m struggling to see a) that you actually do factor in statistics and b) how these guys have less of a claim at being considered midfielders as what Jason Akermanis did.

No I haven’t. I’ve shown you Aker’s stats for the peak years, and I’ve shown you Johnson and Chapman’s stats for peak years.

Chapman averaged 20+ disposals every season 07-11. Akermanis only did it twice 00-04.

Johnson did it 2 times 07-11 and his ‘down’ years were still more prolific. Oh, and he always managed to kick more goals too….

So again I’m struggling to see a) that you actually do factor in statistics and b) how these guys have less of a claim at being considered midfielders as what Jason Akermanis did.

Aker got a Brownlow. Johnson can take a seat.

Good. Make sure you never mention Polly Farmers name under any circumstance. You didn’t see him play.

Also what year were you born? Since you like discussing age. From memory you were a baby when GAS retired. Bet you still talk about him though right?
I never have mentioned Farmer!

Wildly inaccurate on the last bit, too. I loved the power forward era and the mid/late 80s through 90s were the best time to watch footy (why do you think I'm such a Carey fan; player, not person). We used to then get the VHS tapes they put together of the great man's seasons.

Nobody's memories are perfect, stats and accolades are a nice supplement. Fox Footy was always a great resource, YouTube is okay now too if you ever did actually want to watch these players play and form opinions based on your own senses.

Aker got a Brownlow. Johnson can take a seat.
He didn't say Chapman and Johnson were Brownlow medalists. He said they were considered components of Geelong's midfield as much as Aker was for Brisbane. They all had license to rotate mid/forward freely during their sides peak. Johnson more so later on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And you didn't answer my question. Even someone as lazy as you must have had a replay on of some kind. You've never convinced me with Geelong because you get so much basic stuff wrong (like Enrights position 2001-2009). But maybe you put on one of the grand finals 2001-2006 for the other sides being mentioned.

And you didn't answer my question. Even someone as lazy as you must have had a replay on of some kind. You've never convinced me with Geelong because you get so much basic stuff wrong (like Enrights position 2001-2009). But maybe you put on one of the grand finals 2001-2006 for the other sides being mentioned.

I’ve asked you countless question who haven’t answered mate.

Give m your 9 players?

When were you born?

Can you please cut to the chase.

I’ve asked you countless question who haven’t answered mate.

Give m your 9 players?

When were you born?

Can you please cut to the chase.
This is sounding an awful lot like you haven't watched a single match of football that any of these sides played. Oh right, you were a toddler at a BBQ for the 2008 grand final didn't you say?

Should I send you my passport and address as well? Would a bank statement do?

I've told you the football I grew up with, watched, rewatched and have opinions flavoured by actually watching all of these players we have discussed. What I don't do is pretend to be an expert on the 50s, which is equivalent to your laughable efforts at comparing players even as recent as 2000-2011, let alone the prior decades.

I will continue to make this obvious to everyone when you discuss the players and teams in question. I can tell it's embarrassed you.

This is sounding an awful lot like you haven't watched a single match of football that any of these sides played. Oh right, you were a toddler at a BBQ for the 2008 grand final didn't you say?

Should I send you my passport and address as well? Would a bank statement do?

I've told you the football I grew up with, watched, rewatched and have opinions flavoured by actually watching all of these players we have discussed. What I don't do is pretend to be an expert on the 50s, which is equivalent to your laughable efforts at comparing players even as recent as 2000-2011, let alone the prior decades.

I will continue to make this obvious to everyone when you discuss the players and teams in question. I can tell it's embarrassed you.

If it’s easier for you to dismiss my comments by using my age as a disqualifier go for it. It just looks weak.

It looks weak to pretend you know what you are talking about. I have no doubt your opinions from footy over the past decade are not nearly as wide of the mark. There is a reason for that.

I’m not the Geelong supporter that didn’t even see GAS play then talk him up as the GOAT. That’s as sad as it gets.

You still haven’t given me your age? I wonder why.

Why do you need his birth certificate? He’s already specified which eras he’s seen directly.

I believe he is younger than you and you were 11-12 when Snr retired, same with the rest of your Geelong posse. You guys have no right to give s**t about my age when you couldn’t even remember GAS play live then talk him up as the GOAT. I’m leaving it here.

The stats, and most people say Lions and Eagles would smash Geelong. COPE.

I believe he is younger than you and you were 11-12 when Snr retired, same with the rest of your Geelong posse. You guys have no right to give s**t about my age when you couldn’t even remember GAS play live then talk him up as the GOAT. I’m leaving it here.

But we can remember him playing live? How hard is it to remember something from when you were 13?

The stats say nothing of the sort. Which ones are we talking about, the ones that don’t exist?

Detective Falcon/tallandbald/carboot/cleany on the case.

“Just one more thing…”

Remove this Banner Ad

Back